Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 15-04-2007, 21:07   #16
God Member

Re: Giving Blood...

I still think that as long as the HIV test is negative people should be able to give blood regardless of their sexuality.
Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 15-04-2007, 21:15   #17
Resting in peace

Personaly I would dearly love to donate my blood, as I have had gallons off other donors, alas not to be tainted i'm afraid. I once suggested donating my body to medical research, the powers that be said don't bother Ian were going to get most of it whilst your alive. Seriously I would personally like to take this opportunity to thank all the good people that donate blood, and would encourage anyone who is able to do it. Thank's again, you are true saints.
Ianto.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2007, 21:18   #18
God Member

Does anyone know if it's ok to fly the day after giving blood - I've given blood many times before but not for a few years so I've just checked the next available time and it's the day before I'm flying. Anyone know?

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2007, 21:53   #19
God Member

give the helpline a call Gayle, I am pretty sure it is but best to be sure

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2007, 15:49   #20
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly View Post
I still think that as long as the HIV test is negative people should be able to give blood regardless of their sexuality.
I would beg to differ on that one, as somebody has pointed out, you have to go with the odds. However, just because somebody initially tests negative for HIV doesn't mean that they don't have it. It takes 12 weeks (roughly) from contact with an infected person for the antibodies to show in the blood. Antigens can show up sooner but those tests are more expensive.

Having said that, the fastest growing HIV population is actually amongst heterosexual females in the UK who tend to be under 25 years of age. Maybe it's time to discrminate against them too.... For the time being, the Blood Transfusion Service are playing the odds, unfortunately it does seem that their odds are ever so slightly out of date.

I have a detailed analysis of these statistics if anyone wishes to see it. I have to warn you that it is 11,000 words long and extremely boring...... I should know, I wrote it..

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2007, 18:38   #21
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lettie View Post
I have a detailed analysis of these statistics if anyone wishes to see it. I have to warn you that it is 11,000 words long and extremely boring...... I should know, I wrote it..
And I should know I read it ....... and very good it was too, not that I understood most of the medical language

I know this may come as a shock but believe it or not all views I may air on here are my own work!!!!!
harwood red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2007, 20:03   #22
Beacon of light

They won't take mine either.....it is very hard to get blood out of a stone.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2012, 08:07   #23
Senior Member+

The National Blood Service. Do something amazing ... Your search results

just heard an advert on t'radio, so havent given blood in ages, went on website and booked a session to give blood down at Harvey St Community Centre 6/12, waiting for a time to be confirmed via email.

but thought i would just share with you all that a donation session is happening locally next week, if anyone wants a lift down (no stupid comments, from those accross the atlantic/outside of Hyndburn please) so if you are local and would like to give blood, but struggle to get to Harvey St, let me know and i will see what i can do

cheers

join me on Flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/61983378@N07/
churchfcrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2012, 08:19   #24
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by churchfcrules View Post
The National Blood Service. Do something amazing ... Your search results

just heard an advert on t'radio, so havent given blood in ages, went on website and booked a session to give blood down at Harvey St Community Centre 6/12, waiting for a time to be confirmed via email.

but thought i would just share with you all that a donation session is happening locally next week, if anyone wants a lift down (no stupid comments, from those accross the atlantic/outside of Hyndburn please) so if you are local and would like to give blood, but struggle to get to Harvey St, let me know and i will see what i can do

cheers
sorry just realised its week AFTER next, apologies for my stupidity!

join me on Flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/61983378@N07/
churchfcrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 17:21   #25
God Member

Signed up a few weeks ago and I'm giving my first lot at Jans conference centre this coming wednesday (17th) I hate needles but needs must, sounds stupid but I'm quite looking forward to it
Old 12-04-2013, 17:37   #26
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashy View Post
Signed up a few weeks ago and I'm giving my first lot at Jans conference centre this coming wednesday (17th) I hate needles but needs must, sounds stupid but I'm quite looking forward to it
Having been on the receiving end of eleven units of blood in the last eighteen months, I am eternally grateful to people like you. Many thanks.
Old 12-04-2013, 17:57   #27
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

In Germany they used to pay donors, not sure if they still do or not, but they'd come onto camp with their mobile vampire units to get some "Tommy" blood. We weren't allowed to be paid so we got bikkys & a brew instead, plus the chance to skive off for half an hour.

Then when mad cow disease kicked off in the UK they wouldn't come anywhere near us after that unless we'd not been to the UK for a year. Brought a whole new meaning to the question "Have you got any English in you ?".
Stevie R likes this.
Old 12-04-2013, 17:58   #28
Full Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
Having been on the receiving end of eleven units of blood in the last eighteen months, I am eternally grateful to people like you. Many thanks.
You might have some of mine inside you!!! What group are you?
steve2qec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 18:10   #29
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve2qec View Post
You might have some of mine inside you!!! What group are you?
A positive, no antibodies.
Old 12-04-2013, 18:24   #30
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashy View Post
im providing transport at £5 a seat to anyone that wants to see flashy bleed

only kidding i hope it goes well for ya.I cant give blood because of my transfusion but without donors my operation would never have been able to happen so thanx to all those that still can and do.

im not sure what my blood group is i think its red
flashy likes this.

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..