Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 16-07-2006, 07:34   #16
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!
Re: Glorious, glorious summer.

I love this weather but have missed a lot of the enjoyment from it due to work. I hope it keeps up for the next few days because I'm off, so I may be able to enjoy a day or two of it.

I remember long hot summers as a kid, the six week holiday always seemed to be hot. Maybe it is just my memory playing tricks on me??

I hate being cold and I'm sure that I wasn't meant to live in this country with its rain, wind and clouds. We don't seem to have had a decent summer for years and I definitely think that so far, this is the best one in ages... Hope it lasts a bit longer.

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 16-07-2006, 08:16   #17
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lettie
We don't seem to have had a decent summer for years and I definitely think that so far, this is the best one in ages..
With global warming should we not have been having summers like this every year for ages . Then again I am not a follower of the global warming theory.
Old 16-07-2006, 08:20   #18
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil
With global warming should we not have been having summers like this every year for ages . Then again I am not a follower of the global warming theory.
No, if they are right we'll have warmer, wetter weather (and mossies.)

A rise in temperature equals more evaporation and cloud cover for us.

I don't care, I'm off to read the papers and eat my cereal in the garden.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2006, 08:36   #19
mez
God Member

i agree with ber, no arther its wonderful .....plus glorious days ..eating my breakfast , lunch, & dinner outside, i almost feel like im on my holidays mmmm (till my neighbour starts shouting ).
Old 16-07-2006, 08:43   #20
Give, give, give member

I'm lucky my neighbours made my tea.

...and Pendy only shouted when I wouldn't take the left overs home and I refused to try her dry tongue!

Old 16-07-2006, 09:11   #21
Resting in Peace

Mez think that was jambutty re Arther.

Well the new lawn seems to have taken well and will have to water it well tonight.

MH it seems that my pics are too big for Accyweb to accept so will have to try and make them smaller so that I can add them.

Lettie hope the weather does stay while you have your days off and I'm just hoping that ppl will be sensible today as I'm off to work now lol

Must take a bottle with me to make sure I got water )
Ber999T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2006, 10:40   #22
Apprentice Geriatric

Talking Re: Glorious, glorious summer.

I assume that what you call Jubblys Ernie is what we used to call Tub Lollies some 25 years back. They were made by ice cream van owners using 100ml plastic tubs filled with the fruity diluted ice lolly syrup and a wooden stick dropped in and then frozen. If you didn’t soak the wooden sticks for about 24 hours first they would float to the top.

During my redundancy merry-go-round I got a job with Rippleheads as a mobile ice cream salesman. That’s where I learned about Tub Lollies and how to make them. I also learned a lot of other things but now is not the time to reveal them.

If global warming does take off as some boffins predict Neil, most of England with the possible exception of Cornwall will, paradoxically, become colder. We will lose the effect of the Gulf Stream because it is what keeps the British Isles warmer than the latitude dictates. They reckon that the Gulf Stream will be pushed south as far as Spain and that would mean our weather would be more like Norway.

Hot days may be great if you are able to enjoy some leisure time but they are not so great stuck in a factory or office.
Old 16-07-2006, 10:43   #23
I am Banned

Oh well im making the most of it while we have it - as always it dont last long
accymel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2006, 11:05   #24
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambutty

If global warming does take off as some boffins predict Neil, most of England with the possible exception of Cornwall will, paradoxically, become colder. We will lose the effect of the Gulf Stream because it is what keeps the British Isles warmer than the latitude dictates. They reckon that the Gulf Stream will be pushed south as far as Spain and that would mean our weather would be more like Norway.
now your talking that really appeals to me, just hope i aint croaked before it gets there.
Old 16-07-2006, 11:12   #25
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambutty
that would mean our weather would be more like Norway.
At least if the temps stay below zero we wont have icey road problems like they don't in Norway
Old 16-07-2006, 13:24   #26
Resting In Peace

No JB, Tub lollies were something different altogether, although they were very nice,just as you described, where as Jubblies were a pyramid shaped package pre filled at the factory with various fruit flavoured drinks and then frozen by the shopkeeper, you could either ask for a frozen one or an unfrozen one to have as a drink.
Ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2006, 13:57   #27
Apprentice Geriatric

Talking Re: Glorious, glorious summer.

Much obliged Ernie.

I often wondered what Jubblies were. Now I know!
Old 16-07-2006, 14:01   #28
Give, give, give member

In for a ten minute break to cool down.

With my back yard recently whitewashed and the azure blue skies dazzling off them, it's like being in Mykonos.

The tub lolly debate-
At the icecream van that sold them outside QEGS twenty five years ago, they were called froz's. It was rumoured that if you did a 'favour' for the man called Mother that sold them he'd give you a free one. Hopefully with more awareness nowadays the children would be straight on the blower to Childline.

Old 16-07-2006, 19:48   #29
God Member

well im absolutly loving all this beautiful sunshine, cant get enough of it.and according to forecast we got a few days left yet. yippee
cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2006, 20:18   #30

I too love this weather can't get enough of it, but trouble is my friend arthur doesn't go away, in fact it can be worse. But i think we might all be in for a shock soon. According to metcheck.com the long range forcast for the 24th July

Sara is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..