Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

View Poll Results: Is our Anthem relevent?
I like our Anthem as it is 8 33.33%
Change it for Gods sake! 16 66.67%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 19-03-2006, 18:05   #16

Re: God Save the Queen

Land of hope and Glory for me
Debbie J is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 19-03-2006, 18:24   #17
God Member

I don't object to God Save The Queen under the GB flag for sporting events and such, but it would be nice if England adopted it's own National Anthem, for those occaisions Land Of Hope and Glory would get my vote. :engsmil:
Old 19-03-2006, 19:03   #18
Always EVIL within us

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkerbelle
I don't object to God Save The Queen under the GB flag for sporting events and such, but it would be nice if England adopted it's own National Anthem, for those occaisions Land Of Hope and Glory would get my vote. :engsmil:
Well said Tinks, England is oft' forgotten as a country in its own right and is merged with Scotland, Ireland and our principality Wales all lumped together as the "U.K." I would welcome an official "English" anthem!
Old 19-03-2006, 19:09   #19
Resident Waffler

I find it rather amusing that the National Anthem for the United Kingdom should contain the words "Rebellious Scots to crush."

I don't particularly like it. Most of the time it is played or sung so wearily that it sounds more like a funeral dirge than a national anthem.

If this country ever becomes a republic I suppose we will have to have a new national anthem then and not before time in my opinion. Meanwhile I agree with Tinks we could do with an English anthem so we can celebrate being English as much as the Welsh Scots and Irish celebrate being Welsh Scottish and Irish.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2006, 19:29   #20
God Member

Quote:
I don't object to God Save The Queen under the GB flag for sporting events and such, but it would be nice if England adopted it's own National Anthem, for those occaisions Land Of Hope and Glory would get my vote.
thats the most sensible reply on here.
The national anthem is a national one, but it's part of our heritage. Your all so keen on getting rid of the sponging royals but do you think how much prestige They give the country? Would we get that with A president?, what would you do with the all the royal connected things that help draw tourists in, the palace, the crown jewels, etc . It's not just the royal family you'd be getting rid of, it's far more than that.
God save our Queen
Religion let it be
Royals lets throw them out and get a president
Is that not a contradiction, that goes against the main religion in this country? As the two go together. Why was the church of england formed?

I do think England needs an Identity of it's own though, we have st patricks day, but when it comes to stgeorges day, nothing, no celebration, no holiday, just some politically correct loony telling the people that have bothered to fly the flag that they're being racist.
Come and write every night, chat with a hula melody
Madhatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2006, 19:31   #21
God Member

Found this lovely bit of trivia regarding our National Anthem whilst having a mooch on the web .... quite interesting

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/God_Save_the_Queen
Old 19-03-2006, 20:15   #22
Resident Waffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madhatter
Your all so keen on getting rid of the sponging royals

Ooooh I do wish people wouldn't generalise. All I said about that subject was IF the country becomes a republic. My main objection to out National Anthem is that I can't stand the tune. I find it wearying.

Old 19-03-2006, 20:17   #23
Resident Waffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkerbelle
Found this lovely bit of trivia regarding our National Anthem whilst having a mooch on the web .... quite interesting

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/God_Save_the_Queen

Now there's an idea. We could have it as a Royal anthem and have a new different National anthem. I'd be in favour of that.

Old 19-03-2006, 20:44   #24
God Member

Quote:
what would you do with the all the royal connected things that help draw tourists in, the palace, the crown jewels, etc.
Sell 'em, give the money to the NHS.

Quote:
Why was the church of england formed?
Because a fat bloke couldn't get a divorce from the old religious bloke
shakermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2006, 22:24   #25
God Member

The fat bloke was married to the old religious bloke??? gawd, I never got taught that at my school.
Old 19-03-2006, 22:35   #26
God Member

Land of Hope and Glory is our anthem at the Commonwealth Games. England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland all compete under their own flags and use their own anthems. God Save the Queen isnt being played at all. Personally i'd leave it as it is and if we did become a republic it would have to be something else.
shillelagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2006, 00:02   #27
God Member

Quote:
The fat bloke was married to the old religious bloke??? gawd, I never got taught that at my school.
Bloody hell how long you been on this forum? I do believe that was your first attempt at inciting a giggle! Well done, better luck next time
shakermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2006, 00:17   #28
land of hope and glory

thinking about this ????????????? A/B you mentioned that its been along these lines for eons! what apart from the history of england does she put into this country, she kills off unwanted brides ...........etc she doesnt stick up for the cause! (of hunting ) going to get my self hung here!

Last edited by staggeringman; 20-03-2006 at 00:25.
staggeringman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2006, 01:40   #29
God Member

Nothing, but why change it, you seem to think you'll pay less tax, but you won't, you'll just get some useless politician, that does nothing for the country as pressident, and you'll loose the the prestige that the queen gives the country, the heritage, the tourists. I'm not a big fan of them, I think they've bought the present attitude on themselves with the dianna episode but I do see there's nothing to be gained by changing things.
Old 20-03-2006, 07:12   #30

Land of hope and Glory anyday and it's alot more cheary than God save our Gratious Queen (wat we gonna sing wen we get a knig????) God save our Gratious King now that just dusn't fit

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..