Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 26-11-2004, 08:29   #1

Graffiti removal.

Has anyone a remedy for removing graffiti from a stone surface,if so please contact the HBC cleansing department. Fine Art has now been adorning a wall on the corner of Paradise Street for nearly 2 weeks.The Phallic symbol is similar to pre-historic cave paintings (similar artist intelllect) and daily greets those of us who travel this route.Not a good start to the day.
Solutions please!(Pun intended)
Lampman is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 26-11-2004, 08:50   #2
God Member

Re: Graffiti removal.

>>The Phallic symbol is similar to pre-historic cave paintings (similar artist intelllect) and daily greets those of us who travel this route.Not a good start to the day.<<

If this were, say the Second century rather than the Twenty First there would be nothing to object to in the graffitti of phallic imagery. Indeed our homes and household items would be littered with such imagery. It was regarded as a symbol of good fortune and was thought to increase fertility and abundance. The wealth of artifacts from the Roman Empire and other Civilisations bear this out. Not that we are likeley to be told much about this since the archeological world is still labouring under the restrictions imposed on it by Victorian prudery in matters of a sexual nature.

Thus wall carvings of ithyphallic gods in Ancient Egypt are castrated, limiting our understanding of their system of belief and museums throughout Europe are compelled to keep secret museums within museums where this stuff is stored, lest it drive the uneducated into lustful frenzies.

When are we going to grow up?
Old 26-11-2004, 08:52   #3
God Member

Oh I should also add that I strenuously disapprove of casual Graffitti - whatever the subject matter.
Old 26-11-2004, 10:53   #4
Resident Waffler

Oh A-b you do disappoint me. No mention at all of the Cerne-abbas giant and him with no censorship imposed whatsoever.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cerne.jpg (28.8 KB, 16 views)

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2004, 11:03   #5
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Just for you Willow a little bit of censorship, now it won't be too much of an embarressment because you can't see who it is.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg man.jpg (36.4 KB, 19 views)
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2004, 11:06   #6
Resident Waffler

daft bat................

Old 26-11-2004, 11:14   #7
Senior Member+

Didn't they cover him up a few years ago, only to uncover him again due to the high number of complaints they received (probably from women!!!)?
vorlon24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2004, 11:20   #8
God Member

As vorlon says, the Cerne Abbas Giant was emasculated by the victorians. It is only in recent years that he has been able to display his manhood again. Though now it is shortened by about twenty feet. It originally reached up to his navel.
Old 26-11-2004, 11:35   #9
Senior Member+

Imagine having yours shortened by 20 feet...!
vorlon24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2004, 11:43   #10
God Member

Hmm, not a bad idea, it does tend to get in the way at times.
Old 26-11-2004, 12:22   #11

i dont know how to remove the paint so well from stone. but there are anti graffiti treatments that cane be applied to stone.

the best way to remove the offending paint from the stone might be with a light acid wash, what type of stone is it?
Old 26-11-2004, 16:15   #12
Resident Waffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poodle
what type of stone is it?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tree_graffitti 004.jpg (73.2 KB, 21 views)

Old 26-11-2004, 16:21   #13
Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acrylic-bob
Though now it is shortened by about twenty feet. It originally reached up to his navel.
ye, I remember those days..........

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2004, 16:27   #14
Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lampman
Jet wash it off....it's a stone surface soaked with donkeys years of chemical attack by smog, grime and filth, not to mention local chemical fallout over the years. The fine surface of the local stone should wash away taking the paint with it............I think. If you remember most of Accy was black as a badger bum for years until it was sand blasted and chemically stablised the stone.....

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2004, 16:29   #15
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lampman
Has anyone a remedy for removing graffiti from a stone surface,if so please contact the HBC cleansing department. Fine Art has now been adorning a wall on the corner of Paradise Street for nearly 2 weeks.The Phallic symbol is similar to pre-historic cave paintings (similar artist intelllect) and daily greets those of us who travel this route.Not a good start to the day.
Is it any coincidence that this thing appears shortly after the council-sponsored graffitti school at Howarth Art Gallery?
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..