Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-04-2006, 15:32   #1
Apprentice Geriatric

Angry Grand National

Here we are again at the time of the year where 3 or 4 dozen horses are “persuaded” to run several miles as fast as they can whilst negotiating jumps of varying height and width whilst carrying a human being on their backs. To encourage them to greater heights of effort the jockey will use a whip on the flanks. All in the name of sport and some people even consider it to be the sport of kings.

I’ll make my position quite clear on this issue. If man or woman wants to compete against another man or woman to see who can get from A to B the fastest they should do so on their own two legs and not on the back of some animal. This applies equally to dog racing although no human sits astride a dog. This position also applies to other equestrian events like the Burley Horse Trials and show jumping. I would even throw in Crufts and other dog/cat shows. It is all animal exploitation for the benefit of the human in the name of sport. Yes and circus animals too.

“But the horses love to run and jump” is one argument that is always trotted out. A horse is a flight animal and by that I mean a horse will prefer to run away from danger rather than confront it, although if driven into a corner a horse will turn on its attacker and defend itself to the best of its ability. Under normal circumstances a horse will have a sudden gallop around a field out of sheer exuberance but never for very long. So will a cow or a sheep or even a pig.

Horses are not born with the desire to carry someone on its back, they have to be trained to accept it but they have no opt out clause written into the horse’s constitution. For that matter they don’t have a constitution. They just have man exploiting the animal and driving it beyond endurance sometimes just so that the man can win some money, a cup or prestige. What’s in it for the horse? Hopefully a good stable and good feed but also training, training, training to make it run faster and further than other horses. Some life!!!
Old 07-04-2006, 15:45   #2
Resting in Peace

Re: Grand National

And your point is .....???
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 16:03   #3
Apprentice Geriatric

Angry Re: Grand National

Yes! I forgot to put my point. It's my age you know.

It is that animals should not be used to determine the outcome of a contest between humans.
Old 07-04-2006, 17:31   #4
I am Banned

Exclamation grand national

we are at the top of the food chain. everything else is below us.

lets ride it, work it, use it, then after all that EAT IT. thats life.
bad breath brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 17:37   #5
land of hope and glory

dogs shouldnt be kept at home,or cats,or birds in cages, fences shouldnt be put around animals,people shouldnt fish for fish,we shouldnt kill animals,we should eat grass, what do you think these horses are bred for? what you are saying is you havent looked around yourself and put your brain in order,do you wear leather shoes have a leather jacket is your duvet not duck and down what do you eat for your meals?

people should just give there brain a little time longer when they get older and think what they have done,worn, and eaten in there lifes,animals are there for reasons and when something is bred too perfection for a certain cause they are used for that cause a race horse is for racing....NOT...pulling a cart full of milk! a guard dog is for protecting something....NOT.....to lick someone all over, HOW MANY MORE DO YOU WANT?
staggeringman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 17:44   #6

Agree with you totally staggers & bbb. I don't like it if any have to be shot after the race, I don't think anyone does but it wont stop me putting my yearly bets on tomorrow
Debbie J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 18:41   #7
land of hope and glory

Horses are not born with the desire to carry someone on its back, they have to be trained to accept it but they have no opt out clause written into the horse’s constitution. For that matter they don’t have a constitution. They just have man exploiting the animal and driving it beyond endurance sometimes just so that the man can win some money, a cup or prestige. What’s in it for the horse? Hopefully a good stable and good feed but also training, training, training to make it run faster and further than other horses. Some life!!!

try telling that to the donkeys that carried mary and jesus! what about the soldiers of the light brigade,what about the pit ponys,what about the white horse of wembley,the list is endless........................................... ..
Old 07-04-2006, 19:14   #8
Apprentice Geriatric

Angry Re: Grand National

The human being is an omnivore and as such has evolved to eat meat and vegetation although some people make the choice of not eating meat. So I make no apologies for eating meat, wearing leather shoes, jackets etc as a by product of killing an animal for its meat. The same goes for using duck feathers to fill an eiderdown. This practice has been going on for tens of thousands of years the world over so if anyone needs to put their brain in order it is you staggeringman. I eat meat, fish, poultry and various, if limited, vegetables. In other words a normal diet.

Racehorses, like greyhounds have been bred for one purpose and one purpose only – to race and to satisfy mans need to beat his fellow man and gamble on the outcome. The horse or dog has no say in the matter.

Dogs and cats have been domesticated for thousand of years staggeringman and I agree that birds should not be kept in cages, although it would be cruel to just free a bird that had been bred in captivity. And you are right we shouldn’t fish for fish in the name of sport. There is nothing wrong in fishing for the table but to catch a fish, throw it back and call it sport is immoral.

It wasn’t all that long ago at Cheltenham I think, when several horses HAD TO BE PUT DOWN because of injuries that they received during races Debbie J. If they hadn’t been racing they wouldn’t have got injured in the race.

We don’t use horses in battle any more nor do we use pit ponies. What about the white horse at Wembley? It wasn’t being raced around to try and beat some other horse to a winning post. It was doing an excellent job of crowd control. You really must be clutching at straws if that’s the best that you can come up with.

By the way if you believe that religious nonsense there was only one donkey that carried Mary. Joseph walked alongside.

Man has always used animals to help where man’s abilities have been too limited. Large animals like horses, reindeer and elephants with their superior strength and stamina have always helped man in his daily labours and been rewarded with food and shelter although in days gone by cruelty was rife. Dogs with their infinitely superior sense of smell are used to aid law enforcement but they are not raced to see which is fastest.

It is a great pity that someone cannot express their views on a subject without someone casting aspersions about their mental abilities and castigating them for doing so.
Old 07-04-2006, 21:42   #9
white rabbits

i am going to have a bet tomorrow... you are making me feel like a hypocrit now....the racecourse is nowhere near as dangerous as it used to be ..
but i DO hate cruelty[ WHAT A DELEMMA]
Old 07-04-2006, 22:16   #10
God Member

If you think the grand national is bad cop a load of this;

The first ever UPF sanctioned Weight Pull event in Scotland takes placetomorrow in Broxburn Spors Centre. This will be an internationallyrecognised event open to all breeds. The weigh in commences at 10Am andthe Pull at some point after 11am, various stall will also be there.Dogs at the peak of this sport have been know to pull 7,000lbs !!

There is a flier in PDF format but is to big for here.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sampsonwp2003a.jpg (92.2 KB, 11 views)

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 22:37   #11

Re: grand national

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad breath brown
we are at the top of the food chain. everything else is below us.

lets ride it, work it, use it, then after all that EAT IT. thats life.
Then how come the jockeys are 6 stone weeds?
Old 07-04-2006, 22:39   #12
God Member

Re: grand national

Quote:
Originally Posted by PILKYBUSDRIVER
Then how come the jockeys are 6 stone weeds?
Only on the flat. National hunt they are about 9 stone weeds.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 00:24   #13
Senior Member+

Well, jambutty, as you say 'racehorses, like greyhounds are bred for one purpose only', which means that we would be deprived of the sight of such beautiful animals should it be stopped. As well as a complete industry being wiped out.
I imagine that a top racehorse is worth millions of pounds and it's owner would go to great lengths to ensure it's wellbeing. Unfortunately, accidents do happen as in every sport.
junetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 00:56   #14
land of hope and glory

Dogs and cats have been domesticated for thousand of years staggeringman and I agree that birds should not be kept in cages, although it would be cruel to just free a bird that had been bred in captivity. And you are right we shouldn’t fish for fish in the name of sport. There is nothing wrong in fishing for the table but to catch a fish, throw it back and call it sport is immoral.

you live a sad life sat there on your leather chair who DOMISTACATED THESE ANIMALS? WE DID! dont be a arse hole get a life!i fly fish for trout and i get a sporting ticket, which means its a sporting ticket, i throw the fish back into the water, and its there to be caught again! what you on about? you know jack **** about nothing! you are one arse hole of a do-gooder and at the end of the day ! I DONT KNOW HOW YOU GOT TO THE AGE YOU HAVE . YOUR PARENTS WILL BE TURNING IN THERE GRAVES, get a life!
Old 08-04-2006, 01:05   #15
land of hope and glory

Quote:
Originally Posted by junetta
Well, jambutty, as you say 'racehorses, like greyhounds are bred for one purpose only', which means that we would be deprived of the sight of such beautiful animals should it be stopped. As well as a complete industry being wiped out.
I imagine that a top racehorse is worth millions of pounds and it's owner would go to great lengths to ensure it's wellbeing. Unfortunately, accidents do happen as in every sport.
i dont give two ****es abouit being banned from accy web......... but when these people come on and post a load of ****e they dont know what they are on about , they should be barred this dick head has got me so wound up!this is a 60 odd year old thats done so well! he was a postman when the men where men!i dont know what he was ! but he is not a man! hope you have a good bet on the national tomoz!

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..