Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-04-2006, 13:30   #31
God Member

Re: Grand National

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambutty
Whether a horse ‘enjoys’ a run is a moot point but they carry on running when the rider has been thrown because they are following the herd, as they would do in the wild when trying to get away from danger.

But that is getting away from the topic of this thread. Why should animals be used for man’s sport?
Because we want to and others enjoy what is on offer simple as that.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 08-04-2006, 13:33   #32
Senior Member+

Re: grand national

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad breath brown
we are at the top of the food chain. everything else is below us.

lets ride it, work it, use it, then after all that EAT IT. thats life.
are you french then ????

a proper football club,built on the foundations laid by a true fan..andy dunn notw 08....fantastic !!!
BLACKBURN RAVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 13:35   #33
Apprentice Geriatric

Unhappy Re: Grand National

As a species the human being has evolved to eat meat and vegetables. We used to hunt animals for their meat and skins. We have learned to herd certain animals so that we no longer need to go out and hunt them for food. Sadly some animals are treated badly in the interests of more profit but that is a different issue.

We have as much right to eat animals as they have to eat us, if they get the opportunity. It’s called the natural order of things.

That is the difference. Herd, coral and kill an animal for its food value is OK because it is part of our natural make up. Forcing an animal to race another to satisfy some human foible to prove himself a better person than another is not OK.
Old 08-04-2006, 13:44   #34
God Member

While there is money to be made and won people will continue with racing animals. Another weakness of humans if you like. The sums involved make it at present unprofitable to ban as even the govenment makes cash from these sports especially horse racing.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

Old 08-04-2006, 13:46   #35
Senior Member+

well ive backed le duc ...33/1... .......

a proper football club,built on the foundations laid by a true fan..andy dunn notw 08....fantastic !!!
BLACKBURN RAVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 02:34   #36

Talking Re: Grand National

and because i just won 32 pounds
spignific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 18:49   #37
God Member

Jam butty you say we shouldnt bread these horses for racing, im sorry then what should we bread them for???? Eating ok then for the French!, to let run and frolick in a field? they already do that!

If horse racing was abolished then many of these horses who have been raced and have lived a happy life and then gone into retirement, would never have been born! This would have meant the almost death of the horse when the moter engine appeared
Old 12-04-2006, 12:10   #38
Apprentice Geriatric

Unhappy Re: Grand National

That is correct John Timmins, we should not breed horses for racing.

Quote:
im sorry then what should we bread them for???? Eating ok then for the French!,
and that is a facetious remark.

No animal should be bred for human sport.
Old 12-04-2006, 13:52   #39
Resting in peace

Racehorses are a different breed than the horses you see in fields, running or standing still. All racehorses are bred from an original base of three stallions, the Godolphin Arab, the Darley Arab, and the Byerley Turk. They are bred to run. Since my revered boss has a large stable of racehorses, I have met many people involved in horseracing, and have been to a number of events. The horses are extremely well cared for, and yes, they do enjoy running. If you have ever been lucky enough to ride a good racehorse (and stay on) you can feel the enthusiasm of the animal on the gallops.

I do not necessarily agree with the National, the field is too big even though it has been cut down, and many people enter horses which are not up to the job just because of the kudos. There should be stricter entry requirements for such races.

I appreciate that Jambutty is entitled to his point of view. However, the number of people employed in racing is enormous. Does he feel that we would be justified in putting all those people out of work just because that has happened in other industries?

And what about polo ponies? Far more injuries/fatalities in that sport than in racing.
pendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 15:29   #40
Apprentice Geriatric

Angry Re: Grand National

So the excuse for continuing to use horses for human sports is ‘it would put a lot of people out of work’ is it? That is exactly the same excuse put forward in the Hunting debate.

If the horse racing industry had not developed in the first place there wouldn’t be anyone to put out of work. However as it has developed into what it is now then that is just too bad if they lose their jobs.

You are trying to turn my view into one purely against the horse racing industry pendy. It isn’t! I just used the National as a prime example. My view is, as I have stated numerous times, that animals should not be used for human sporting activities. Now which part of that do you not understand?

As a nation of alleged animal lovers how can people square their collective conscience when they force animals (horses and dogs) to run from A to B giving their all and some being killed just because two or more humans want to find out who gets to B first?

Last year 180 horses had to be destroyed because of racing accidents and this year’s National brought one equine fatality.
Old 12-04-2006, 15:33   #41
God Member

What of the donkeys at Blackpool? Kids that ride horses/ponies at show jumping and gymcana? Are these to be classed as sport?

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

Old 12-04-2006, 16:04   #42
Give, give, give member

Quote:
. My view is, as I have stated numerous times, that animals should not be used for human sporting activities.
Would that include sheep dog trial competitions?

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 16:20   #43
Apprentice Geriatric

Red face Re: Grand National

According to the Oxford English Dictionary sport as a noun means - an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others.

The mention of animal is noticeable by its absence.

I don’t think that you can class donkey rides at the seaside as a sport SPUGGIE J. There is no competition involved.

However in gymkhanas and show jumping there is competition so it is a sport. The fact that it is kids taking part doesn’t change that.

I wondered when someone would get round to sheep dog trials garinda. Much obliged to you for doing so. I take the view that as the dog is demonstrating what it does together with its master as part of their daily working life then it is hardly a sport.

I will save someone the bother of bringing up hunting dogs by doing it myself. Hunting with dogs to put meat on the table is cruel and archaic and in this day and age in this country totally unnecessary but nonetheless not a sport. Any other reason for hunting with dogs can be classed as a sport but it is still cruel.
Old 12-04-2006, 16:35   #44
Senior Member+

Quote:
I will save someone the bother of bringing up hunting dogs by doing it myself. Hunting with dogs to put meat on the table is cruel and archaic and in this day and age in this country totally unnecessary but nonetheless not a sport. Any other reason for hunting with dogs can be classed as a sport but it is still cruel.
If thats a picture of you in your AVATAR then you didn't miss out much meat.

Bazf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 16:43   #45
Apprentice Geriatric

Talking Re: Grand National

Er! Which picture would that be? That frog looks pretty skinny to me.

Oh! You mean the other one!

Yep! That’s me but it’s not because of meat.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..