Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14-06-2005, 13:08   #1
mez
God Member

green bins

yesterday i rang the recycling dept of h.b.c., i wanted a green bin for my garden waste, ie; grass cuttings, hedge trimmings, weeds, stuff like that, id been ssneaking them in my grey bin, so i thought id be good, i was told i wasn't in a green bin collection area so i could not have one, i was then told i could have up to 6 bags of garden rubbish picked up Google Page Ranking month, hurrah i can get shut of it free even, lo & behold it is grey bin day today, & what happened, yup they collected the garden rubbish with the household rubbish. the mind boggles.
Accrington Web
Old 14-06-2005, 15:46   #2
Resident Waffler

Re: green bins

Did they tell you you haven't got a garden? That's what they told me. I asked them what this funny area in front of the house was with a tree and assorted plants and bushes in it and they said it didn't qualify as being a garden! Garden waste is garden waste and they are supposed to be so hot on not putting garden waste and other compostable stuff in with general household rubbish. Some of my garden waste will compost but not all of it will (like the cuttings from thorn bush - nasty, vile, evil thing).

Oddly enough when I asked for a compost bin they happily delivered one to me even though according to them I don't have a garden. Mind you, we've got that up at the allotment but they wouldn't know that would they?

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2005, 11:17   #3
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

I was told the same thing, I am not in a green bin area. So all my grass cutting etc go in the grey bin.
Old 15-06-2005, 11:33   #4
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!

Me too, all my garden waste also goes in my grey bin, then again I only do the garden about once a year...

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2005, 13:37   #5

They tried to give me a compost bin last week although I dont have a garden. I have a back yard that my little girls plays out in and if I put any more HBC bins out there she won't be able to move. What will they try to give me next???
Steph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2005, 08:08   #6
mez
God Member

iv'e had a compost bin for awhile now but there is only so much you can put in it , well one never knows i may get a green bin when iv'e finished flagging my back garden, then it will be just weeds & tree cuttings ah well.
Old 18-06-2005, 18:34   #7
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp
Did they tell you you haven't got a garden? That's what they told me. I asked them what this funny area in front of the house was with a tree and assorted plants and bushes in it and they said it didn't qualify as being a garden! Garden waste is garden waste and they are supposed to be so hot on not putting garden waste and other compostable stuff in with general household rubbish. Some of my garden waste will compost but not all of it will (like the cuttings from thorn bush - nasty, vile, evil thing).

Oddly enough when I asked for a compost bin they happily delivered one to me even though according to them I don't have a garden. Mind you, we've got that up at the allotment but they wouldn't know that would they?
I know - I've been told the same thing. I've mentioned it on another thread. I asked for a green bin and they told me I didn't have a garden. It just so happens that I have a fairly large garden but all the houses around me don't so mine isn't recognised. This is despite the fact that I've just returned home to a jungle because the lawn hasn't been cut for over two weeks.
Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2005, 19:01   #8
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle Knight
It just so happens that I have a fairly large garden but all the houses around me don't so mine isn't recognised.
Be careful,your Council tax might go up if you shout too much!
It will be cheaper to go to the tip with your garden waste than to force the council to admit you have a garden!
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2005, 19:04   #9
I am Band

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle Knight
I've just returned home to a jungle because the lawn hasn't been cut for over two weeks.
I know it well. The sun just needs to twinkle and the rain just needs to sprinkle and the grass runs rampant at this time of year.
Concrete and some of that green furry carpet flogged from a green grocers is what I'm contemplating for next summer.

I was lead to belive that, "Recycle! Recycle! Recycle!" was the mantra of HBC's refuse department. It seems strange that they don't put their money where their mouth is.

Any ramblings, meanderings, thoughts or musings are mine and mine alone. Any opinions expressed are Lettie's!
Sparkologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2005, 16:12   #10
God Member

There is a garden up on Coleridge drive that has artificial grass for its front lawn.
entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..