Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 17-06-2005, 12:23   #1

Red face New Property Tax.

Well the election has come and gone and now Mr.Prescott's office has deemed that we will now have our homes reassessed for the true market value.
In laymans terms this means that those of us who have endeavoured to improve our homes with an extension,new bathroom or possibly a conservatory( even a garden shed over a certain size!)will now have our council tax bill increased by between £250-£400 per annum.
Apparently inspectors will have the legal right to gain entry to a property they wish to reassess.
Has the Government forgotten the Poll tax riots of a few years ago,are we again likely to see otherwise law abiding citizens imprisoned for default on their tax payments?
No doubt these leaks have been put about to gauge the public's reaction,then depending on the outcry(or lack) we will see a contrite Mr.Blair explaining what he really meant.
Just two years to go before implementation.
Emigrating anyone?
Lampman is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 17-06-2005, 13:26   #2
Resident Waffler

Re: New Property Tax.

The system in Tunisia is looking ever more appealing.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2005, 13:34   #3
I am Banned

this is just yet another way of screwing extra money out of poor people and i fully support any action the public decides to take in letting our beloved govenment know we wont take it
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2005, 13:40   #4
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

would support any lawful protest against this highway robbery,trouble is most people say this re-the poll tax. then fade away and pay,this has always been the case with us british,unless a world war breaks out,then we seem to pull together like no other nation.don't really understand the logic of it,but thats how it seems to me.
Old 17-06-2005, 13:42   #5
I am Banned

your 100% correct cashman the british way is to moan and groan then sit back and get shafted and the govenment knows this thats why they get away with so much

there are however very few options as to how you can protest as most of them will now get you arrested as a terrorist

Last edited by chav1; 17-06-2005 at 13:43.
Old 17-06-2005, 14:08   #6
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

thank heavens for that chav i have been saying it for donkeys years,nice that someone agrees,a lot of people get the hump and sulk-the truth hurts.
Old 17-06-2005, 14:27   #7
I am Banned

we must have foreighn blood in us because when other countries govenments pull stuff like ours does there is hell to pay lol
Old 18-06-2005, 08:39   #8

The interest that we British have in avoiding paying extra taxes may well be reflected in the number of people who respond to this thread....Minimum!
Though as we have said ,I am no different I will whinge, whine and moan and then pay up like most of us..It's a wonderful country for Politicians!
Old 18-06-2005, 15:47   #9
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!

I already pay enough in taxes, you are right Lampman, this is a wonderful country for politicians. I will be buggering off to NZ if they try to increase my Council tax any further. I am sick and fed up of being taxed to the hilt in order to pay for the scroungers, illegal immigrants and other peoples kids. When you are single and live alone with no children you end up forking out more in taxes than anyone else while you actually use less services. It stinks...

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2005, 19:22   #10
I am Band

Unhappy Re: New Property Tax.

If that bohemoth of blubber, Prescott, wishes to squeeze his fat ar$e through the hatch in my loft, he is welcome to knock on my door. I will teach him a few double-compound swear words and other prosaic expressions.

That latest statement from 'New' Labour sounds like the politics of greed. If you, by your own choice, decide to work hard to get ahead and try to improve your lifestyle or living environment, you get punished for it. Why not chase down and harry the slackers and scroungers in British society who contribute ******-all.

Any ramblings, meanderings, thoughts or musings are mine and mine alone. Any opinions expressed are Lettie's!

Last edited by Sparkologist; 19-06-2005 at 17:14. Reason: spelling mistake.
Sparkologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2005, 16:10   #11
God Member

Looks like I'm shafted then, I put an complete new floor on the bungalow , added a consevatory and landscaped front and back gardens. Add to the increase in Council tax the amount I pay in Income tax, Insurance Tax(House, 2 cars, bike, pet) VAT on nearly everything I reckon well over 75% of my gross salary ends up in teh goverment coffers.

So much for working hard to benefit from it.
entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2005, 16:19   #12

Ditto entwisi,lots spent this last year or two extending and improving.In days gone by the property tax was based on the number of windows a property had,resulting in many owners bricking the window space up to avoid paying the tax.
Not really an option with a conservatory eh!

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..