Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-03-2009, 01:22   #1
God Member

H20 Cars

was watching an old episodeof top gear and they were showing off an electric car that generated its electricity from hydrogen that you filled up with at teh petrol station teh way you would with diesil ,gas or petrol

i cant remember the make but is was 110bhp and a family 5 door saloon which is pretty decent for an electric car and even did just over 100mph

surely this idea is a good alternative and should be pushed forward if anything to break the hold the arabs and russians have over the world because they control the oil

previous electric cars have had abig draw back that they needed to be charged overnigt and ultimatly depended on oil but this car drew its energy from hydrogen which is all around us and free

it just got me thinking thats all but surely anything that breaks teh greedy oil barons grip just a little bit is a good thing

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 06-03-2009, 03:53   #2
Roy
Administrator

Re: H20 Cars

What they didn't tell you on top gear is that this car is currently so expensive it is only available to hire. They also didn't tell you that at the moment the amount of energy that goes into creating hydrogen makes it completely unfeasible as a mass market option.
The answer is electric, we already have the infrastructure, but we first need to make nuclear fusion work for us.
Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 07:06   #3
God Member

Yep, the Hydrogen fuel cell is wonderful but as Roy says to split teh Hydrogen off takes a cart load of 'electricity' and where do we get that at the minute? Coal fired power stations. Once we properly sort Nuclear energy we have a chance till then electric cars are no answer, they have just shifted teh source of polution.

LPG is plentiful and cheap. at the moment its as good as it gets for 'clean' running.

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 12:11   #4
God Member

yeah i was thinking of buying a petrol car so i could go to lpg but the cost of conversion is about £1300 upwards and although the savings will be made over the life time of teh car the conversion its self is a bit expensive

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 15:45   #5
God Member

realistically you need to do ~ 50K in a car for it to be worthwhile ( 25 to pay back then 25 to be ahead). I'm on my 4th LPG car but I do 30K a year so for me its worth it.

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..