Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-03-2009, 10:26   #1

I am often asked....

I am often asked would I move back to England to live, truthfully at this point no it is not an option. I miss so much from home but cannot help but feel that Canada has more to offer my 4 children than England.
My eldest child has disabilities and although things are not the best here we seem to get a lot more support than what my friend does for her disable son who lives in Blackburn.
I think the biggest thing for me that I miss is the people. The salt of the earth kind, the kind that would do anything for anybody. I love the Northern humour you know anything for a laugh humour.
For you locals would you move if it was an option and for those that have moved away do you regret it.
magily is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 05-03-2009, 10:34   #2
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: I am often asked....

i did move abroad magily n loved it, did miss the lancashire humour n folk, but was away nearly 3 years, never called back even fer a weekend, had to return though, as like owt, circumstances dictate yer life, do not regret it, will probably do it again in a couple of years.
Old 05-03-2009, 10:36   #3
God Member

We need a sense of humour in order to survive here now.
You are suffering from nostalgia.
Don't ever let it get so bad that you come back.
You seem to be doing fine where you are, so enjoy it
you lucky person you

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 10:48   #4
Give, give, give member

Although it was still in the U.K. I lived half my life living away from this part of the world, though I regularly returned, so still felt very connected to the area. This is where I'm rooted, and I was always proud to be associated with this part of the world.

I honestly imagined I'd never move back, and I thought I'd eventually move to Brittany. An area unlike the rest of France, where the locals are nearly as friendly as here, and is somewhere where I feel I could call home.

Just before I was forty I had a road to Damascus moment, and decided that I wanted to move back to Oswaldtwistle, and it's proved to be the right thing to do. I love being able to see my family more, especially the younger members, who change and grow up so quickly. I've become reaquainted with old friends, and made lots of new ones too. I love feeling a valued part of the community, something that you don't really in large cities, especially London.

It's hard to guess what the future will hold, but at the moment I feel very settled and happy here. I'm lucky, I've got friends who live all over Europe who I regularly visit, so any wanderlust is easily satisfied...at least for the moment.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 10:50   #5
Resting in Peace

A few of my mates moved abroad when I was younger, but most came home, Australia as the place of choice for a lot when they had the £10 scheme many years ago. I never really fancied it though, like this country to much
Old 05-03-2009, 11:56   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
We need a sense of humour in order to survive here now.
You are suffering from nostalgia.
Don't ever let it get so bad that you come back.
You seem to be doing fine where you are, so enjoy it
you lucky person you
I think you are right, homesickness is something that never goes away, I have lived in Canada 21yrs and I still think of England as home.
Being away from family is perhaps the hardest of all my family all live in Blackburn now, my sister just spent the last week in hospital and being so far away makes it harder.
This site is great for me as it gives me that little bit of home, mind you there are some posts which make me glad I am no longer there
Old 05-03-2009, 12:03   #7
Senior Member+

I went on holiday to Canada two years ago. Can understand you liking it were you are.
What I saw of Canada, it looked at wonderful country.
Bernard Dawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 12:07   #8
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by magily View Post
I think you are right, homesickness is something that never goes away, I have lived in Canada 21yrs and I still think of England as home.
Being away from family is perhaps the hardest of all my family all live in Blackburn now, my sister just spent the last week in hospital and being so far away makes it harder.
This site is great for me as it gives me that little bit of home, mind you there are some posts which make me glad I am no longer there
thats were we differ magily in my short time away i regarded spain as home, so did me late missus, we simply took the view,we chose to move, this is now our home. funnily enough now when we go back, fer a couple of months a year, i regard it as going home, so i think now i have 2 homes in my eyes. my residencia ran out a couple of years ago, but i shall re-new when i go back fer good.
Old 05-03-2009, 12:12   #9
Give, give, give member

Whoops........wrong thread.

Old 05-03-2009, 12:14   #10

The funny thing is that I do think of England as home but when I do come home and stay at my Mother's house I find myself saying I am looking forward to going home back to my own bed.
Old 05-03-2009, 12:15   #11
Senior Member+

I lived abroad for a year in 2003. I missed nothing about home, except my family of course, but I spoke to them on the phone or webcam most days.

If I could do it again at the moment i'd be back there like a shot. As I have said before when the time is right I will move away from here again.

Dont get me wrong I'm proud of being from round here (most of the time) but I just dont like living here.
Lolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 13:20   #12
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Owen View Post
I Can understand you liking it were you are.
What I saw of Canada, it looked at wonderful country.

Me to Canada would be our country of choice to live in once the time is right.........
pipinfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 16:55   #13

Quote:
For you locals would you move if it was an option and for those that have moved away do you regret it.
I moved away after only having lived in Clayton for 27 years, where I was born, and have been away for 32 years Alright it was only to the Isle of Man, not the greatest of distances and within relatively easy reach to get back if needed. My family (and my wife's of course) still live in the area, but our children have been brought up in the Island, still live here and call it home. We love to go back and, even though I have lived here the longer, Clayton is and always will be home to me. I am over again in a couple of weeks and will no doubt be found wandering around the old St Marys school, Pickup st and Barnes Suare areas again to see what has changed and to rekindle old memories. I am also meeting an old friend who I haven't seen for 40 years which I am really looking forward to. Would I move back? That depends on my children - while they live here, we do. If they move then we would consider it, but I do admit to missing the old place.

Last edited by claytonheath; 05-03-2009 at 16:58.
claytonheath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 17:47   #14
God Member

Quote:
I am often asked would I move back to England to live, truthfully at this point no it is not an option. I miss so much from home but cannot help but feel that Canada has more to offer my 4 children than England.
My eldest child has disabilities and although things are not the best here we seem to get a lot more support than what my friend does for her disable son who lives in Blackburn.
I think the biggest thing for me that I miss is the people. The salt of the earth kind, the kind that would do anything for anybody. I love the Northern humour you know anything for a laugh humour.
No regrets ... none whatsoever .... I've been in Canada for 42 years, and even tho' I must admit that it's not perfect, I don't think it gets any better than it does in this country. Look at it like this; we don't have a long storied past, though we haven't done bad for a country which was born in 1867, and which came of age in April 1917, but we do have a future. I'm proud of my heritage; I have fond memories of Clayton and area; but I'm Canadian .... will never be anything else now .... and consider myself damn lucky to be a Canadian.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 18:03   #15
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
No regrets ... none whatsoever .... I've been in Canada for 42 years, and even tho' I must admit that it's not perfect, I don't think it gets any better than it does in this country. Look at it like this; we don't have a long storied past, though we haven't done bad for a country which was born in 1867, and which came of age in April 1917, but we do have a future. I'm proud of my heritage; I have fond memories of Clayton and area; but I'm Canadian .... will never be anything else now .... and consider myself damn lucky to be a Canadian.
Do the thousands of years of history pre 1867 not count?

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..