Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-06-2013, 00:11   #46
God Member

Re: Hay Fever

I have had a hard time breathing for several weeks now - it has been like having an everlasting cold which sometimes escalated to flu.

The 50 or more birch trees opposite my flat have been pumping out pollen like there is no tomorrow. At times I felt that there would be no tomorrow for me !.

They were so laden with rust coloured pollen catkins that the season could have been mistaken for autumn.

I have been affected more this year than last, so I have decided to move - I don't feel well enough to have that hassle, but 'needs must'.

Tree allergy woman critical - National - NZ Herald News

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 07-06-2013, 07:58   #47
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
I have had a hard time breathing for several weeks now - it has been like having an everlasting cold which sometimes escalated to flu.

The 50 or more birch trees opposite my flat have been pumping out pollen like there is no tomorrow. At times I felt that there would be no tomorrow for me !.

They were so laden with rust coloured pollen catkins that the season could have been mistaken for autumn.

I have been affected more this year than last, so I have decided to move - I don't feel well enough to have that hassle, but 'needs must'.

Tree allergy woman critical - National - NZ Herald News
It must be very frustrating Margaret, luckily things like pollen don't affect my asthma, just tree pollen slightly, but there are no trees around where I live. just wondering, after the start to the season we've had, are your symptoms worse this year.
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 10:12   #48
God Member

This is an old streetview pic from several years ago. The trees are bigger now.
https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=Osw...41.85,,1,-1.76

I post this to illustrate that they are all silver birch trees and I think my saying they number 'about 50' is a serious underestimate.

From what I have read, it seems that some places ban their planting in residential areas.
The species originated in Russia, so I am naming them Stalin's revenge.

If I had the energy I would start trying to get them removed/replaced.
They are on LCC land and any action, even if successful, takes too long, and I don't think I would last it out.

Old 07-06-2013, 11:41   #49
God Member

The woman hospitalised in New Zealand, which was a link few posts ago, died after a few weeks.

Page 2 of this pdf file
http://www.mapua.gen.nz/CNaug07.pdf

Old 07-06-2013, 12:19   #50
God Member

Even though I said that I would just move and not do anything else, I just couldn't resist writing to LCC Forestry and Woodland Management to make them aware of the problem they have created. I don't suppose that anything will come of it but I had to make some effort.

http://www3.lancashire.gov.uk/corpor...u_id=844&tab=4

I have applied for a house move via BwithUs.
I have registered with Homeswopper.

If my efforts to be rehoused within the 'social housing' sphere are fruitless, I could always resort to moving into Puddleside

Old 07-06-2013, 15:47   #51

A thought for all you Hay fever sufferers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 954795_473076779445174_1868499064_n.jpg (28.4 KB, 15 views)
Alan Varrechia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 17:40   #52

Quote:

Margaret - it must be very upsetting that something introduced into the local environment is causing you such distress & ill health. I know it's not ideal & you have probably considered/tried it but pollen is a solid entity (as opposed to a gas) and should be stopped by appropriate filters. Maybe you could use an allergy mask ( http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&k...l_9gd91raqro_b ) at times of high risk until you or the trees can be moved. Just a thought.
davebtelford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 17:51   #53
God Member

I do have some masks with a carbon filter built in.
I defy anybody to wear one 24 hours a day, which is what I would need to do. Birch pollen is the finest of all tree pollens and needs Hepa filters to block it.

Old 07-06-2013, 17:53   #54
Resting in Peace

Quote:
I do have some masks with a carbon filter built in.
I defy anybody to wear one 24 hours a day, which is what I would need to do. Birch pollen is the finest of all tree pollens and needs Hepa filters to block it.
How long do these trees pollinate Margaret
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 18:00   #55
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
How long do these trees pollinate Margaret
Only for two or three weeks, BUT some trees start early, and some later - The have been 'at it ' since the end of April and the signs of that 'rusty appearance' are just on the point of disappearing today in the late starters.

It isn't as though you can go out with a conductors baton and a stop watch to get them 'do it' synchronistically.

Old 07-06-2013, 18:03   #56
Beacon of light

I am going to touch wood as I say this.....I haven't been taking antihistamines and my hay fever hasn't been so bad this year.
I put a thin smear of soft paraffin wax inside my nostrils ...it is supposed to trap the pollen.......and so far it seems to be working.......funnily enough my eyes which usually run like taps haven't been bad either...can't sttribute this to the paraffin wax
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 20:15   #57
God Member

I have avidly web researched the topic.
My severe problem was caused by 'sheer density' and 'close proximity' to those trees. Airborn pollen travels hundreds of miles, but it is most concentrated at its source (on my doorstep !)

I like trees and enjoyed living near them. Over the 10 years I have lived here they have increased in size and output. Like many sensitivities the health effects are cumulative - I have reached my tolerance limit.

Old 14-06-2013, 09:20   #58
God Member

This birch pollen allergy really makes life complicated!
Birch Pollen Allergy: List of Foods to Avoid or Limit

Last night I made myself a smoothie with 2 eggs, yogurt and a banana.
Within 5 minutes the glands under my chin swelled, and I was struggling to swallow.

The problem wore off in about 2 hours after taking an antihistamine lozenge, but I didn't risk sleeping until it did.

As I am struggling to breathe, the added complication of struggling to swallow was alarming.

The birch trees have finished pollen release but I seem to be having a slow recovery from their effects.

One simple bit of advice - never live near a dense planting of birch trees - you may not be a hay fever sufferer when you move there, but after a few years you likely will be.

Last edited by MargaretR; 14-06-2013 at 09:23.
Old 14-06-2013, 11:23   #59
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

How do you know its the trees and not the grass or something else?
Old 14-06-2013, 13:05   #60
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
How do you know its the trees and not the grass or something else?
Because I have been like this two successive years and only when the trees were pollinating. It is easy to know when they are because the 'catkins' are rust coloured and the whole plantation has the appearance of autumn.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..