Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 16-06-2013, 07:38   #61
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Re: Hay Fever

I used to use a natural remedy for hayfever that used to work well for me. Can't remember what it was called now and don't usually need anything because a nasal spray I use for sinus problems helps with the hayfever as well (when I remember to use it)
Old 19-06-2013, 12:24   #62
God Member

I have had to do what I hoped I would never need to do - I have had a doc's home visit and will be taking prescription meds.

The birch pollen allergy caused a COPD exacerbation which immobilised me.

Acute Exacerbations of COPD | Doctor | Patient.co.uk

"Common pollutants such as nitrogen dioxide, particulates, sulphur dioxide and ozone may also trigger exacerbations."

I have decided that prescription meds may well shorten my life but at least they are likely to improve the quality of the life I have left.

So I am back on that daily blue pill inhaler I had 5 years ago (Spiriva) and a short course of steroids to clear residual inflammation.

Steroids are the worst sort of poison - I watched my mother die slowly with diabetes and osteoporosis due to long term steroid use - but two weeks is less likely to cause me much harm.

I have already reduced my smoking to 4 a day and will have to give up if I get that flat in Clayton ('no pets, no smokers') but I haven't found it hard to do - when you struggle to breathe the desire to inhale smoke seems so very unimportant.

So I have joined the ranks of the medicated elderly - I can't say I am glad that I need to resort to medical intervention - but needs must.

I may well start a campaign to have silver birch trees removed from residential areas.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2013, 12:49   #63
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
So I have joined the ranks of the medicated elderly - I can't say I am glad that I need to resort to medical intervention - but needs must.
Know how you feel Margaret - I was 65 before I saw a doctor. In my case it's definitely a needs must and will continue, but it sounds like you may be lucky and not have the meds for too long. In any case, I hope things settle down soon and your condition improves.
cashman, sm_counsell and MargaretR like this.
Old 19-06-2013, 14:13   #64
Beacon of light

I steer well clear of doctors...but you have to be sensible when you know they can help you...then you have to submit...even if it is only for a short time.
I hope the prescription meds do the trick Margaret...and that the move means you will have less of the problem in the future.
Hope you feel better soon.
MargaretR likes this.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2013, 17:24   #65
Resting in Peace

Quote:
I have had to do what I hoped I would never need to do - I have had a doc's home visit and will be taking prescription meds.

The birch pollen allergy caused a COPD exacerbation which immobilised me.

Acute Exacerbations of COPD | Doctor | Patient.co.uk

"Common pollutants such as nitrogen dioxide, particulates, sulphur dioxide and ozone may also trigger exacerbations."

I have decided that prescription meds may well shorten my life but at least they are likely to improve the quality of the life I have left.

So I am back on that daily blue pill inhaler I had 5 years ago (Spiriva) and a short course of steroids to clear residual inflammation.

Steroids are the worst sort of poison - I watched my mother die slowly with diabetes and osteoporosis due to long term steroid use - but two weeks is less likely to cause me much harm.

I have already reduced my smoking to 4 a day and will have to give up if I get that flat in Clayton ('no pets, no smokers') but I haven't found it hard to do - when you struggle to breathe the desire to inhale smoke seems so very unimportant.

I may well start a campaign to have silver birch trees removed from residential areas.
Funnily I've never heard of your blue pill inhaler, Spiriva, Margaret, can only think its sabutimal (ventolin) based. One thing I could never get my head round is the fact you still smoke, especially with the care you take looking after your health. I progressed from being a medical person to the medical elderly only because I used prescribed meds, plenty of them, I'd hate the alternative, which would mean I wouldn't be replying to your post
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2013, 18:09   #66
God Member

Spiriva is a small blue pill that you crush into a powder using a special gadget, and inhale
https://www.spiriva.com/

tiotropium bromide inhalation powder

I would prefer a red pill but beggars can't be choosers

Attached Images
File Type: png Matrix.png (39.4 KB, 2 views)

Last edited by MargaretR; 19-06-2013 at 18:14.
Old 19-06-2013, 20:31   #67
Senior Member+

You blame pretty much everything for your many ailments yet you carry on smoking (it just killed my dad by the way) , baffling. Sorry to sound harsh but if you have breathing issues the obvious thing is to give up smoking. ( and I know a bit about asthma and inhalers from personal experience)
Old 19-06-2013, 20:39   #68
Senior Member+

On thread though you can get 30 loratadine for around .69p online on some website (Chemists4you??), ordered them last week, you can get upto 12 packs, minimal postage and seem to be working...bargain
Old 20-06-2013, 07:37   #69
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindsay ormerod View Post
You blame pretty much everything for your many ailments yet you carry on smoking (it just killed my dad by the way) , baffling. Sorry to sound harsh but if you have breathing issues the obvious thing is to give up smoking. ( and I know a bit about asthma and inhalers from personal experience)
You and me alike Lindsay, and I gave up smoking 35 years ago, I'm sure if I hadn't I wouldn't be here now, in fact I'd have been long gone
Old 20-06-2013, 07:50   #70
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Spiriva is a small blue pill that you crush into a powder using a special gadget, and inhale
https://www.spiriva.com/

tiotropium bromide inhalation powder

I would prefer a red pill but beggars can't be choosers

I use a handyhaler which is used with Spiriva, but not for that drug for Promixin Powder, according to the link the blue pills are Ipratropium Bromide (Atrovent) which I use in the nebulizer with Ventolin, have used that combination for well over twenty years. It says to use it once a day, to help COPD patients to keep their airways open, I use it 5 times, under instruction, and I can honestly say it works, i'm still here

Last edited by jaysay; 20-06-2013 at 07:54.
Old 20-06-2013, 07:53   #71
God Member

I am not asthmatic so my problem is not as severe as yours.
To reach age 70 and only need one regular prescription is an achievement, judging by the carrier bags full that I have seen delivered to others younger than me.

COPD is not exclusive to smokers, but I do concede that it worsens the condition and that is why I will be free of addiction by the time I move house.

I spent the first 20 years of my life inhaling industrial smog (pre the Smoke Control Act) - a fact that you ought to consider when 'judging' my 'erroneous behaviour'.

As a careful 'light eater' I do not ostracise fat people for indulging in food

Old 03-07-2013, 13:50   #72
God Member

I have reported side effects to recent prescription meds using the 'yellow card' facility here -
Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency

The side effects were so unpleasant that I have ceased using the medication.

I was prescribed 7 days of oral steroids plus daily use of inhaled Spiriva.

On the 7th day just as steroids ended I experienced prolonged bouts severe nausea after eating. I blamed this on the steroids and hoped that the 'side effect' would pass.

I continued with the Spiriva, and as well as prolonged spells of nausea I also had a dry mouth and thirst, accompanied by a nasty taste that never went away no matter how much water I drank . This affected my appetite - zero desire for food.

A week of this was as much as I could tolerate so I ceased using Spriva.

In the days since, the nausea, thirst, foul taste have gradually subsided, and now ended.
My morning cough returned but I was glad to have the cough reflex restored in order to clear my lungs of the inhaled meds. Each ' clearing' signaled a lessening of the side effects.

I now feel that the steroids were useful (short term only) to clear the inflammation caused by birch pollen allergy but Spiriva makes my quality of life worse than without it.

I will be advising my doc of all this after I have moved. I don't want the risk of him persuading me to take some other inhaled med, and risk having more disabling side effects happening at the time of moving.

Old 25-07-2013, 21:44   #73
God Member

Gloss paint fumes (kind gesture by new landlady who spruced up paintwork recently) triggered another bout of serious breathlessness.

I have another doc visit today and am now on inhaled steroids (at a very low dose fortunately)

Looks like I have reluctantly joined the ranks of the 'medicated elderly'

Old 26-07-2013, 13:40   #74
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Gloss paint fumes (kind gesture by new landlady who spruced up paintwork recently) triggered another bout of serious breathlessness.

I have another doc visit today and am now on inhaled steroids (at a very low dose fortunately)

Looks like I have reluctantly joined the ranks of the 'medicated elderly'
But for medication I wouldn't have got anywhere near the medicated elderly

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..