Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-01-2012, 17:46   #31
Resting in Peace

Re: HBC's latest moronic act

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemac View Post
early retirement was on the table in 2002 for thiose that wanted it, but moved up a gear in 2003 with arms being twisted to take the offer, and cllr. Britcliffe was deffo the chair and it was from his very lips that I was informed that 45 jobs had to go voluntarily or it would be made compulsary. Mike Chambers was also pushing the numbers and reorganisation, who incidentaly came around and told everyone on the very day that all this was implemented that he was leaving to go to Bolton.

What day was this, you couldnt make this up, 1st April
The biggest mistake Britcliffe made was that the day after the election in 2000 when the Tories took overall control that he didn't tell Chambers to clear his desk the morning after
Old 09-01-2012, 19:07   #32
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
The biggest mistake Britcliffe made was that the day after the election in 2000 when the Tories took overall control that he didn't tell Chambers to clear his desk the morning after
It was after he left that they descided not to have a chief exec anymore and appointed 2 managing directors. That though is another story.

I think it says a lot that on the day that the changes he initiated came to pass he left, and without any warning
davemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 19:49   #33
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
It was after he left that they descided not to have a chief exec anymore and appointed 2 managing directors. That though is another story.
Maybe you could start a thread on the history of HBC from your viewpoint, it sounds interesting.
Old 09-01-2012, 23:32   #34
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Maybe you could start a thread on the history of HBC from your viewpoint, it sounds interesting.
It's a thought, wouldn't know where to start though as I worked for the council for 40 years.
Old 10-01-2012, 08:27   #35
Resting in Peace

Quote:
It's a thought, wouldn't know where to start though as I worked for the council for 40 years.
So you must have started for HBC right from day one then Dave, bet there are some very interesting tales to tell, people only actually know what goes on behind the scene when they're at the sharp end, even some councillors don't full what goes on, and as for the GP well that is another story
Old 10-01-2012, 09:09   #36
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Day 1 would be a good place to start, have you seen our blog section, it would be ideal for your stories
Old 10-01-2012, 09:13   #37
God Member

Quote:
I wonder if you knew my Aunt -Diane Chaffer -she also worked for HBC from the age of 16 for about 40 years...

She also has interesting tales to tell about her time there.

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 09:15   #38
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Once upon a time.

Some people think I'm a bit of an animal, but I'm quite tender really
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 09:42   #39
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobertol View Post
I wonder if you knew my Aunt -Diane Chaffer -she also worked for HBC from the age of 16 for about 40 years...

I knew Diane very well, although it was purely on telephone basis, I used to speak to here nearly every week
Old 10-01-2012, 11:42   #40
Senior Member+

I remember Diane, too. Very keen artist, who if memory serves me right, retired to live in France.
gynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 14:56   #41
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobertol View Post

Name rings a bell but cant put a face to her.
My time was spent in the parks and open spaces section with a period in charge of the cemetery and crematorium as well (through the competitive tendering days). Now there are some strange tales
Old 10-01-2012, 15:03   #42
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Day 1 would be a good place to start, have you seen our blog section, it would be ideal for your stories
you have set me thinking now ! I can remember the first day I turned up for work with my "bait bag" it was realy an old gas mask bag with my butties in.

My mum got my work clothes from millets the army and navy stores on peel street, it was the first time that anyone had turned up for work dressed as a japanese admiral.
Joking aside I remember the first and last day at work the bit in between went a bit fast so will have to ponder what happened before I commit myself
Old 10-01-2012, 15:10   #43
Senior Member+

Quote:
So you must have started for HBC right from day one then Dave, bet there are some very interesting tales to tell, people only actually know what goes on behind the scene when they're at the sharp end, even some councillors don't full what goes on, and as for the GP well that is another story
I actualy started work for accrington corporation finished school on friday, started in oak hill park on monday. Back then you could move between district councils to get a promotion, clayton and altham, oswaldtwistle, rishton, church urban districts, I think that was the setup!
Old 10-01-2012, 17:50   #44
Resting in Peace

Quote:
I knew Diane very well, although it was purely on telephone basis, I used to speak to here nearly every week
I used to make calls like that.

Some people think I'm a bit of an animal, but I'm quite tender really
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 17:59   #45
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benipete View Post
I used to make calls like that.
Ya Beni but mine were local calls not premium rate and I didn't end up with a smile when I rang off

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..