Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-01-2012, 18:02   #46
Resting in Peace

Re: HBC's latest moronic act

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemac View Post
Name rings a bell but cant put a face to her.
My time was spent in the parks and open spaces section with a period in charge of the cemetery and crematorium as well (through the competitive tendering days). Now there are some strange tales
Think she was in housing department Dave prior to the change to Hyndburn Homes
Old 10-01-2012, 23:02   #47
Senior Member+

Diane was a committee clerk, working with Linda Maloney.
gynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 09:10   #48
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by gynn View Post
Must have been the housing committee gynn
Old 11-01-2012, 10:13   #49
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Must have been the housing committee gynn
Possibly, although the Committee clerks deal with many different things. They tend to be close to councillors, seeing them so regularly for meetings etc, and become the point of contact between councillors and council departments. The chances are Diane knew who the best person in the Housing Department would be to deal with your questions.
Old 11-01-2012, 10:29   #50
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Possibly, although the Committee clerks deal with many different things. They tend to be close to councillors, seeing them so regularly for meetings etc, and become the point of contact between councillors and council departments. The chances are Diane knew who the best person in the Housing Department would be to deal with your questions.
Might be getting mixed up gynn, the women I talked to regularly was defo in housing. Just looked at an old HBC Diary its Rona Courtney, I dealt with gynn and before that it was gwyneth Sarker, I think thats what she was called, went to work for Blackbur with Darwen
Old 11-01-2012, 11:15   #51
Senior Member+

I recognise those names, jaysay. Both they and Diane were excellent officers who always did a professional job in the face of some rather difficult pressure from politicians!

I think the point that davemac makes is relevant. The early retirement scheme led to all the experienced officers leaving, and the Council certainly suffered from this lack of experience in subsequent years.

Last edited by gynn; 11-01-2012 at 11:21.
Old 11-01-2012, 17:59   #52
Resting in Peace

Quote:
I recognise those names, jaysay. Both they and Diane were excellent officers who always did a professional job in the face of some rather difficult pressure from politicians!

I think the point that davemac makes is relevant. The early retirement scheme led to all the experienced officers leaving, and the Council certainly suffered from this lack of experience in subsequent years.
I actually don't think closing the direct works department was a good idea either, it was one of the best DWs in the area
Old 11-01-2012, 21:41   #53
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
I actually don't think closing the direct works department was a good idea either, it was one of the best DWs in the area
I agree jaysay, but the Direct Works Department that was so successful during the 1990s had probably had its day by 2002 as changes in Government regulations and work practices blurred the distinction between client and contractor, and forced Councils to look at new ways of providing services.

I'd hate any existing HBC staff to think there is any criticism of them in what I say. They can only work with the tools they are given. The current austerity measures and cuts in spending this year, next year and beyond fill me with horror and are probably confirmation of the nightmare scenario we all feared fifteen or twenty years ago. Massive reductions in staff to a level where, frankly, they simply can't do the job.

Frightening!
Old 12-01-2012, 08:55   #54
Resting in Peace

Quote:
I agree jaysay, but the Direct Works Department that was so successful during the 1990s had probably had its day by 2002 as changes in Government regulations and work practices blurred the distinction between client and contractor, and forced Councils to look at new ways of providing services.

I'd hate any existing HBC staff to think there is any criticism of them in what I say. They can only work with the tools they are given. The current austerity measures and cuts in spending this year, next year and beyond fill me with horror and are probably confirmation of the nightmare scenario we all feared fifteen or twenty years ago. Massive reductions in staff to a level where, frankly, they simply can't do the job.

Frightening!
HBC Works Dep. were actually doing work outside the council, besides working for the council itself think in 2001 the brought around £300,000 into the council coffers as well as maintaining HBC stock
Old 12-01-2012, 15:42   #55
God Member

Quote:
Correct -she used to take all the minutes at council meetings and worked closely wih the mayor and councillors. She did retire early but through ill health about 7yrs ago.

She is still living in Accy though (my reference point when I visit as i stay with her), she dedicates as much of her time as possible to art, painting and teaching. She also takes great photographs of her travels. Last year she spent a few weeks with me in N.Italy and will be coming back this year and taking a house on Lake Garda for a few months hopefully -this to get material for her next exhibition. As I write she is travelling back from NZ where she's been touring and staying with my sister.

I will tell her she has been remembered by some people on here I'm sure she'll be pleased.

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..