Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2005, 08:25   #16
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Re: Here's one to amuse A-b

Just went over to Hyndburnlite to see what they had to say about the 'new' garden, as usual the councils ultra smart high tech' information highway hasn't mentioned it at all!

On doing a search however there are thirty posts that they think are relevent.

http://www.hyndburnlife.co.uk/rounda...emorial+garden

P.S. don't bother clicking on the link although it does work there is NOTHING interesting at the end of it!

Last edited by Less; 12-07-2005 at 08:28.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 12-07-2005, 09:08   #17
Resident Waffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug
Can I ask? Was this plaque just stuck up was there an appropriate ceremony with representatives of the local clergy, the community at large, the Three Services of our Armed Forces to whom this is supposed to commemorate. To say that commemorations have been taking place for most of the week is there any sign of a service taking place at this Community commemorative focal point?

Well I just happened upon it almost by accident Doug so if it there was any ceremony I didn't hear about it. The "garden" has existed for years as a fountain that never worked from day one and was often full of litter and stagnant stinking water. Eventually it was drained, filled with soil and the plants stuck in. We presumed this was because it is located outside Scaitcliffe House and the council workers wanted something nicer to look at than the cesspool.

Although I have often passed this area on my way into town I'd never even noticed the plaque, which is tucked away behind the cog wheel, until the other night when I specifically set out with camera to photograph something else and stopped to look at the cog wheel. That was when I noticed the cog wheel's new sign in such a prominent place itself (ie on the floor where no-one can see it) and then curiosity overcame me and I went up to look at the brass plaque and was gobsmacked at the audacity of Hyndborg BC to have claimed this ex-eyesore as a memorial garden

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 09:10   #18
Resident Waffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less
On doing a search however there are thirty posts that they think are relevent.
Oh Less you just gotta love Hyndburnlite don't ya?

Old 12-07-2005, 10:53   #19
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!

I have just clicked on your link Less and as you stated, it leads to nothing. I did click on discussions though and found that there hasn't been a post on there since May!!!!!! Now I'm sure that fact has been mentioned in another thread, but it is so important that I felt it needed mentioning twice.

Can anybody tell me how many hundreds of thousands of pounds has been spent to create this non-existent, waste of time website? It's pretty obvious that whoever has set this site up is clueless and has only rudimentary knowledge of computing. I wonder what kind of salary this apprentice is commanding for producing this rubbish......

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 10:56   #20
Resident Waffler

The creator claims to be a web wizard but I think they also double as a hairdresser.

The words "don't give up the day job" come to mind.

I can't help wondering where HBC found this person.

Old 12-07-2005, 15:18   #21
God Member

It was set up by a Google Page Ranking company called Viva Google Page Ranking. I don't know if they still manage it because a few months ago there was an advert in Acc Obs for a portal manager which was the management of the website - I think there's another thread on here about it because someone said Roy could have done it in his sleep. I don't know if anyone was appointed or not but by chance, I do know that the pendlelife website (which is uncannily like hyndburnlife) has had someone appointed.
Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 15:46   #22
Resident Waffler

Not uncanny really Gayle as they were both created by the same person, and they weren't going under the name of Viva Google Page Ranking on their own site where they showed off the creations of both Hyndburn- and Pendle- life

Old 12-07-2005, 17:38   #23
Member.

I had a walk around this afternoon, I was surprised how open the area is I don’t remember it being so, then again it was some time ago since I was last down there. The bloc work paving was relatively good if some what confusing; the cog was larger than I had anticipated and looked like it was in need of a repaint. The Memorial Plaque is becoming tarnish and looks like it’s been drawn on and badly cleaned. I also noted the large area set a side for the kids to skateboard which had been decimated by the paint wielding element of local graffiti artiest. This is quite a wide expanse of land that could have been put to better use has a community focal point displaying themes of our past heritage as well a memorial to those that served the town and their country. Before my critic jumps into slap my wrists again “and on reflection, quite rightly so” but that’s another story, I am deeply proud of my heritage and don’t take any pleasure in criticising Accrington or it’s people.

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 18:12   #24
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp
Not uncanny really Gayle as they were both created by the same person, and they weren't going under the name of Viva Google Page Ranking on their own site where they showed off the creations of both Hyndburn- and Pendle- life
What name were they going by?
Old 12-07-2005, 19:32   #25
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

For those of you who didn't see it when it was first mentioned on accyweb below is a link to the thread:-

Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 21:14   #26
Accy Red

Cricket Challenge Champion!

Doug have you had a look at Atarahs website recently?
http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/...CELLANEOUS.htm

She has a few pictures of that area taken a few years ago, worth a look.

"At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They're only there to sign cheques." - Bill Shankly

Last edited by Bagpuss; 09-08-2006 at 21:18.
Bagpuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 21:24   #27
Member.

No I haven't for a while Bagpuss, I'll get myself a beer and go and have a look. This shot is way before my time (I hope) but it still brings a wee flood to the eyes. It’s deep, brooding and wet. I love the shop signs and the lamp post, them I do remember......The Pit head would have been well known to some of my relatives. Makes you shiver don't you think?

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 21:47   #28
Resident Waffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle Knight
What name were they going by?
"Clicks and Links"

CLICK here for the link.

If you scroll down the page you'll see them also referring to the name "The Nesco Group" and showing both the Hyndburn and Pendle websites.

When there were originally problems with accessing Hyndburnlife I wrote to them (Clicks and Links) to try to explain what the problem was and what the possible solution could be but the response I got was in the vein of "Don't write to us about it. Hyndburnlife are fully in control and know what they are doing." Unfortunately they didn't and wouldn't listen to helpful advice, merely seeing it as negative criticism despite the fact that people were unable to register and then having registered were unable to log on. It's hardly surprising they have very few active members. At the time all that money was spent on advertising people tried but simply couldn't access the thing. When it was eventually sorted out the novelty had obviously worn off and people stopped trying.

Old 12-07-2005, 22:16   #29
God Member

Oh, well. Perhaps the guy I knew from Viva Google Page Ranking was just hired to publicise the site. I once sent in a press release (I keep them informed even though no one reads it) and he emailed back to me.
Old 13-07-2005, 13:39   #30

Maybe Mr. Britcliffe should explain to the vets why he had the gall to have the so called tribute put there with his publicity seeking name attached. Then again the guttless wonder would shy away from confrontation and bad publicity. He should be asked to tender his resignation and kiss the asses of all the vets that are left to attone for this thoughtless insult
acertun is offline   Reply With Quote

« Arrest? | Hanging! »

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..