Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 30-06-2008, 12:21   #76
Resident Waffler

Re: Hospital and cleanliness - or the lack thereof

So in the case of somebody doing a 'whoopsy' in the shower, or having the runs all over the floor (both of which were reported by patients, two different wards, two different floors) who should have cleaned up that mess?

Incidentally I did send a written complaint and will let you know if and when I receive a reply what it says.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 30-06-2008, 12:22   #77
Beacon of light

The problem arises when the cleaners do not have set places of work......when they are shuffled from one deparment to another.....they have no feeling of allegaince to the place they are working. You may say 'yes, but they all work for the same NHS Trust'......and they do, but there are some cleaners whoclean as if their life depended on it, and do a fine job...they have days off and find that someone has been doing their work half-heartedly, and it must demoralise them.
On the unit where I worked, we had two of the best cleaners ever. They pulled beds out every day to clean behind them...ledges and sills were damp dusted......they had a cleaning schedule which they both followed so there was continuity.......and they were invaluable members of our ward team....they knew that if one of them had days off the work would still be done to the same exacting standard and the schedule would be followed.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2008, 12:24   #78
Beacon of light

I'm afraid that it would have been the nursing staff who would have to clean up that kind of spillage/mess...the same goes for blood, urine, or vomitus.
Old 30-06-2008, 12:26   #79
Beacon of light

I lost count of the number of times I cleaned poo out of the bidets......not a nice job, but it has to be done.
And some patients would blow their nose on the bed linen....and chuck their hair combings onto the floor.
Old 30-06-2008, 12:26   #80
Resident Waffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by polly View Post
Did Florence Nightingale have cleaners?
I would hope we've gone forwards instead of backwards since then. Just been watching report on TV about the NHS. I don't like the idea of league tables of deaths. I mean some illnesses are terminal and no-one can change that. If one hospital gets more than it's fair share of terminally ill patients should they lose out on funding because of that? The ones with more survivors get more funding. Silly stupid idea. No wonder people get demoralised.

Old 30-06-2008, 12:28   #81
Resident Waffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
I'm afraid that it would have been the nursing staff who would have to clean up that kind of spillage/mess...the same goes for blood, urine, or vomitus.

But it was left there for HOURS with other patients having to use the same toilet. Is this because there is a shortage of staff? If one of my kids made such a mess in our bathroom my #1 priority would be to clean it up.

Old 30-06-2008, 12:35   #82
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by polly View Post
Did Florence Nightingale have cleaners?
Did Florence Nightingale work for the understaffed and overworked NHS?

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
emamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2008, 12:38   #83
Resident Waffler

It was worse in her day and they didn't have an NHS. The NHS shouldn't be so overworked that they haven't time to keep the wards and toilets clean from the most germy stuff. Fluff and dust is one thing but mold and pooh and syringes are quite a different and nastier thing.

Old 30-06-2008, 12:39   #84
Senior Member+

the way it is atm is that the nursing staff have too much work to do already without them having to clean as well........

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
Old 30-06-2008, 12:40   #85
Beacon of light

In the days of Florence (Nightingale) most of the cleaning was done by nurses...in fact when I first started nursing, the more junior you were, the more cleaning tasks you did.
There was never a time when you had nothing to do......Sister would send you to the sluice with a tin of chemico to shine the stainless steel bedpans, or tidy the linen cupboard, or wash down all the bed tables(which were cleaned after the discharge of every patient anyway).
Old 30-06-2008, 12:42   #86
Beacon of light

Willow it should have been a number 1 priority...and until it had been thoroughly cleaned, there should have been a notice on the door stopping other patients from using it.
Old 30-06-2008, 12:44   #87
Resident Waffler

Well neither were - they were left and had to be used, in that condition, by other patients for a considerable length of time. And yet people get the 'ump that I complained about it?????

Old 30-06-2008, 12:45   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
In the days of Florence (Nightingale) most of the cleaning was done by nurses...in fact when I first started nursing, the more junior you were, the more cleaning tasks you did.
There was never a time when you had nothing to do......Sister would send you to the sluice with a tin of chemico to shine the stainless steel bedpans, or tidy the linen cupboard, or wash down all the bed tables(which were cleaned after the discharge of every patient anyway).
That is what I thought. so it would seem that in her day cleaning was given more of a priority?That is my interpretation anyway
polly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2008, 12:46   #89
Senior Member+

wasnt it florence nightingale that decided hospitals needed to be clean and cleanliness would stop the spreading of infections?

Old 30-06-2008, 12:47   #90
Resident Waffler

But we are supposed to have advanced since then.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..