Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 23-01-2008, 20:54   #1

Angry Hospital Discrimination.

Ok, little rant here.

Fair enough disabled drivers/car users are welcome to park closer to the entrance of wherever.. to which I have no problem. BUT WHY! at the Royal Blackburn Hospital do non-disabled drivers get charged for the use of the car park, yet disabled drivers have free parking! (No ticket machines)

This is absolutely ridiculous if you ask me, and discriminative against non-disabled drivers! Just because a disabled driver/passenger is disabled, it does not mean they cant afford to pay the car park fee!

I'm sure someone will have some sensible response, but I find this utterly inexcusable.

"Im not disabled,

£3.00 then please.."
thomas.lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 23-01-2008, 20:56   #2
Resting in Peace

Re: Hospital Discrimination.

Covered this before Thomas . but absolutely agree with you.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2008, 20:57   #3

Ah dam! How I wish I had original/fresh topics to discuss =(
Old 23-01-2008, 20:59   #4
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas.lee View Post
Ah dam! How I wish I had original/fresh topics to discuss =(
S'okay .. more the better on some subjects, and lots of people on here not seen it before, or totally ignored .. sorry I pointed that out, sounded smug.
Great point though. x
Old 23-01-2008, 21:04   #5
God Member

I think that the reasons behind free parking for the disabled are

They go to a lot of hospital appointments for their physical ailments.

They are likely to be out of work and on benefit therefore short of money.

I don't know if these are the official reasons behind it but they are the only reasons I can come up with to explain.
Old 23-01-2008, 21:15   #6
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly View Post

I don't know if these are the official reasons behind it but they are the only reasons I can come up with to explain.
Good point Lilly, but isn't a blue badge only given on the disability, not linked to the benefits or means tested, etc.
Old 23-01-2008, 21:17   #7
God Member

Quote:

I think its the same type of thing. Its all about providing a better quality of life when disabled people are given some sort of benefit or advantage over others. Its bad enough that they often have to go to hospital regularly so they make the parking free.

When you think of all the disadvantages you can when your disabled then its nothing.

My friend needed to use the toilet very badly in a mcdonalds in leeds and he asked to use the disabled toilet and they refused, and they called the manager to 'deal' with him and my friend had to lift up his top and reveal his stoma bag which was badly in need of emptying and obviously this was very distressful in a busy mcdonalds.
He was discriminated against for not looking disabled 'enough'. He can afford £3 parking, he says the benefits he gets are more than adequate, but its ust nice to have that one less thing to worry about when you have to visit the hospital isnt it.
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2008, 21:17   #8

Quote:

You see, I thought that, yet you have to ask yourself the question - short of money - yet can run a car - yet cant afford £3.00 car park fee?

I also then asked myself the question, what uproar would there be if non-disabled drivers had free parking, yet disabled drivers had to pay? Discrimination law suit me thinks?
Old 23-01-2008, 21:24   #9
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas.lee View Post
You see, I thought that, yet you have to ask yourself the question - short of money - yet can run a car - yet cant afford £3.00 car park fee?
If they are on the higher level disability allowance then they are eligible for a motability car.

Welcome to Motability - How the Car Scheme works

If a person has one of these cars they don't cost much to run, just the petrol really. Things like servicing, insurance and replacement tyres are free on this scheme.
Old 23-01-2008, 21:28   #10

Also on the disability note, someone visiting the hospital could be equally as 'disabled' as such due to whatever they're visiting for, maybe illness, a broken leg? Anything. Yet because they don't have a blue badge, they have to pay - regardless of their circumstances to what they are visiting the hospital for.

Secondly, if a disabled person needs to visit the hospital frequently due to their disability, and they don't have someone to drive them there every time they're due, wouldnt they find some other form of transport? Taxi, free door2door minibus service? etc. Unless of course they are fit enough to drive, to which they should be fit enough to pay a small parking free
Old 23-01-2008, 21:30   #11

Quote:
If they are on the higher level disability allowance then they are eligible for a motability car.

Welcome to Motability - How the Car Scheme works

If a person has one of these cars they don't cost much to run, just the petrol really. Things like servicing, insurance and replacement tyres are free on this scheme.
Good point I suppose. I still think its wrong though.
Old 23-01-2008, 21:30   #12
God Member

If you had a choice between paying £3 parking or being disabled and getting it for free, which would you choose?

I think it's actually quite selfish to whinge about £3 somebody's saving for being physically disabled.
Old 23-01-2008, 21:30   #13

The main point here for me is that anyone should be charged at all for parking while attending a hospital. We are either ill, or attending friends/loved ones who are ill. Some smart arsed toerag decided that there is yet more cash to be made out of peoples’ misery. It’s a bloody racket in my book.
Old 23-01-2008, 21:34   #14
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnyboy View Post
The main point here for me is that anyone should be charged at all for parking while attending a hospital. We are either ill, or attending friends/loved ones who are ill. Some smart arsed toerag decided that there is yet more cash to be made out of peoples’ misery. It’s a bloody racket in my book.
It depends where the money goes to. For example if there is CCTV on the car park them you should pay for that added benefit just in case someone damages your car or you get attacked in the car park etc, you will have a greater chance of finding the person who did it.
Old 23-01-2008, 21:37   #15
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazey View Post
It depends where the money goes to. For example if there is CCTV on the car park them you should pay for that added benefit just in case someone damages your car or you get attacked in the car park etc, you will have a greater chance of finding the person who did it.
You digressing blazey .. not the thread question.

So should the disabled in my opinion.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..