Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 31-01-2005, 20:29   #76
God Member

Re: How lanky are you

10/10 for me and it is doorstop for a sandwich
slinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 31-01-2005, 20:42   #77

*beats your lancashire hot pot and hollands pies around with his yorkshire puddun*
Old 31-01-2005, 21:45   #78
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poodle
*beats your lancashire hot pot and hollands pies around with his yorkshire puddun*
Now theres a thing "yorkshire puddin", should it be served with roast beef an gravy, or is it a sweet, served as an after or puddin

Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.
Albert Einstein.

park381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005, 10:28   #79

Sorry owd fettlers. Just caught up. Joabin thi socks.... When you are idly standing there and you are constantly lifting your foot in and out of your shoe or whatever. Grandma sez it weers em oawt. Thi socks I mean. Slutch is mud or wet muck. Lug ,... to carry or cart about. Ears as well. Lakin in the sense. "Is owd fred still lakin about. (knockin about. Still alive) Spell... splinter in hand

Pill... daft ******. Other meanings as already mentioned. It also eventually got extended with.. ock on the end.
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005, 11:01   #80
IMY

8/10 Got the doorstop one wrong and the powfagged
IMY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2005, 16:36   #81

10/10 for me i thought it was easy except the doorstop one which i guessed
Old 04-02-2005, 19:22   #82
Beacon of light

Terry......my gran used to use a similar phrase but instead of joabin'...... it was chovin' and it came from the weaving mill.....if the warp was weaving badly and sort of wearing away..... it was called chovin' and it commonly occured at the selvedge.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2005, 19:23   #83
Beacon of light

I suppose there were lots of little differences like that......depending which locality you came from.
Old 04-02-2005, 19:38   #84
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington
I suppose there were lots of little differences like that......depending which locality you came from.
"Pill... daft ******" /that was always a ball
"Is owd fred still lakin about. (knockin about. Still alive)" /are you lakin today/are you playing today.
Like you say, it depends where you come from, which area of Lancashire, the twang and meaning differs between blackburn and burnley, or accy.

Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.
Albert Einstein.

park381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 21:03   #85
Beacon of light

Park.... with reference to your question about Yorkshire Pudding......it was always served separately at our house and the kids were told that whoever ate the most yorkshire pudding would get the most meat...... but by the time you had a plateful of yorkie pud with gravy you hadn't much room for meat.
We also had it with sultanas in and sprinkled with sugar..... but that was a rare treat.
Old 04-03-2005, 18:28   #86
white rabbits

did this one on burnley web ,i got sken right but it said it was wrong.,,,grrr in burnley if you ask for a teacake you get a plain one ,if you ask for a teacake in blackpool you get a currant one , plain teacakes are balmcakes,there.....
grannyclaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2005, 19:32   #87
Passed away 25-11-09

I only just saw this thread. Had a go and I got 10/10. Not bad when I left Lancashire 43 years ago. Just goes to show you can take the woman out of Lancashire but you can't take Lancashire out of the woman.

Re: Yorkshire Pudding. The first time I visited my future in-laws in Bradford I was a bit puzzled when Yorkshire Pudding was served, with just onion gravy, as the first course for Sunday lunch. My mother in law said it was a Yorkshire tradition - they fill you up with it then you won't want so much meat. She used to make it in a huge square tin and always saved a piece which my father in law would eat cold, spread with jam, for supper. Ugh!

Grannyclaret, you're spot-on about teacakes. Here we call them balmcakes - a teacake has fruit in - but in Durham they call them stotty cakes if they're large or baps if they're smaller but north of Newcastle they are all baps no matter what size. Pay attention I will be asking questions later. In North Yorkshire they are flourcakes and a teacake has fruit in but is spicey too. My aunt, who was a baker (in West End), made teacakes but called them muffins but in the Midlands it's ovenbottom cakes because a muffin is more like a crumpet but a crumpet is a pikelet.

One thing I found odd when I first moved here. I would say someone was "bonny", meaning good-looking, and get funny looks. It took a while before I realised that around the Warrington area "bonny" means fat. I haven't come across that anywhere else in England.
Old 04-03-2005, 19:55   #88

10/10 but didn't realise moither was lancashire, got it correct though.

Sara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2005, 19:59   #89

9/10 didnt realise doorstop was a butty and that fettle one was a guess ive heard people say how you fettling before but it didnt mean in the way that question asked
Old 04-03-2005, 22:44   #90
Accy Goddess

When I first met Mick, he called his Mam's maiden a cloth's horse and didn't know a pan was a pon.
I thought he was a posh spoiled brat when I first met him.
He thowet I warr es common as muck tha knows.
Nah he's as bad as I am.
A con remember evin a bath in fronta fire on a frida neet.
Mi nan ad a dolly tub out back wi a posser an a mangle.
ANNE is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..