Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 28-04-2012, 13:06   #1
Senior Member+

How PC can you get?

Listening to the radio this morning, Keith Vas was talking about the long delays at check in-queue's at Heathrow. He said part of the problem was the number of 'un-personed ' desks at the Border Control. I had to think about what he meant, I assume there are some 'personed' desks but not enough!
A committee being run by a 'chair' is bad enough(although being run by a 'table' may be worse) but isn't this taking made up PC words too far?
It's getting difficult to understand what some of the PC brigade are talking about.
Anyone heard a better one?
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 28-04-2012, 13:28   #2
Resting in Peace

Re: How PC can you get?

Bit of a row going on about a firm making scrubbing brushes shaped like a golly wog, thought they'd gone out with Robertsons jam
Old 29-04-2012, 04:26   #3
Lee

I assume they are referring to the amount of check in desks versus the amount of check in staff. I also assume he chose not to say "unmanned".

Pretty easy really. I can think of many better ones.
Old 29-04-2012, 07:23   #4
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
I assume they are referring to the amount of check in desks versus the amount of check in staff. I also assume he chose not to say "unmanned".

And perhaps you can share them with us ... maybe you could appear on Late Night with David Letterperson and share them with the world
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2012, 08:53   #5
God Member

another tory cock up
Old 29-04-2012, 12:59   #6
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmonstanley View Post
another tory cock up
TA-DAH !!! Knew it wouldn't take long for the sniping to begin.

The thread is about how PC attitudes are insidiously creeping into every aspect of everyday life for the average man on the street. This mainly brought about by simpering idiotic liberalists apologists from across the political spectrum who think there should be no winners or losers & that for fear of offending someone/anyone, better to destroy a whole culture & way of life than God forbid, let the people themselves get on with their lives with out continual prissy, anal, pedantic interference.

Lifes a bitch & she-ite happens, grow some, move on & live with it !
Old 29-04-2012, 14:45   #7
Senior Member+

Quote:

Thanks for the help there, Lee, I was obviously struggling but I understand now. As you say 'Pretty easy really'.
Have you thought of 'many better ones' yet? If you have don't forget to explain them, you shouldn't assume we're all as quick as you.
Old 29-04-2012, 14:58   #8
God Member

but its still a cock up will it be sorted out for the olympics lets hope so.you cant run a country on the cheap or it will turn into a banana republic ooh hold on
Old 29-04-2012, 15:30   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Booth View Post
Thanks for the help there, Lee, I was obviously struggling but I understand now. As you say 'Pretty easy really'.
Have you thought of 'many better ones' yet? If you have don't forget to explain them, you shouldn't assume we're all as quick as you.
You might have a long wait: only 57 posts since 2004.
Michael1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2012, 15:41   #10
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael1954 View Post
You might have a long wait: only 57 posts since 2004.
Yes but it will obviously be worth waiting for!
Old 29-04-2012, 15:58   #11
Lee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Booth View Post
Sorry If I appeared condescending. I just don't really see the problem with somebody choosing to make a word gender neutral word when they are speaking. I really wouldn't of minded if he said "unmanned", either works.

I have no problem with people deciding to use gender neutral words. I have more of a problem when people tell people they cannot use perfectly acceptable words, taking it too far. (ie. Baa Baa Rainbow sheep/Dry wipe board).

Using "PC gone mad" has become a bit of a bitter shield against change of language that occurs in society to promote cohesion.

Stewart Lee puts it better than I ever could.

Sorry my computer crashed, its PC gone mad!

Last edited by Lee; 29-04-2012 at 16:03.
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2012, 16:23   #12
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee
I really wouldn't of minded if he said "unmanned"
Is this some kind of PC censorship, why substitute the word have with of?

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.
yerself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2012, 18:03   #13
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
I just don't really see the problem with somebody choosing to make a word gender neutral word when they are speaking.
And that my friend, is half the problem. Because people such as yourself are prepared to accept this disassembling of the English language, it panders to those who would take apart & subjugate our heritage & culture. Should we be combing through the classics of Shakespeare/Dickens & the likes, rewriting them to mollycoddle the possibly offendable ?

The English language has a vast variety of terms & expressions that are readily applicable to any given situation, manned-unmanned was the adjective that should have been used, who exactly can take offence at such ?? Some mad raging feminist dyke ?? Oh deary me, looks like I'm being an unthinking, boorish, male chauvinistic pig !

Whoops again, I've no doubt caused untold offence (to pigs & effeminate males who're in touch with their feminine side & feel unfairly accused because of their gender, or those feminists that aren't dykes, perchance the league of lesbians who may be averse to the connotation of the expression dyke) with my last statement. The Pig & the affected males or any of those mentioned may not say as much & in all honesty aren't in the least bothered, but somewhere, some whining simpering liberal will on their behalf & that is the crux of the problem.

Where exactly does it stop ?? Are we forever to just not say anything to anyone for fear of offending ? So you see why I take issue with your reasoning & docile compliance.

Last edited by DaveinGermany; 29-04-2012 at 18:06.
DaveinGermany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2012, 18:51   #14
Senior Member+

A woman in charge of a committee is a chairwoman. Should the name offend her?
A man in charge of a committee is a chairman. Should the name offend him?
If I was asked to be the chair on a committee I'd want to know how heavy they all were.I might not be up to it.
'Un-personed' isn't a gender neutral word, it's a made up bit of PC rubbish.That word doesn't exist-try looking it up. 'Unmanned' is gender neutral, men and women have always 'manned' desks, what sort of idiot has decided 'manned' is offensive and shouldn't be used? Can you imagine a woman saying 'I refuse to man that desk but I will person it'?
Of course our language will change and develop and some words designed to be offensive are rightly frowned on but I object to a minority telling me that if I use normal words used in everyday talk I am racist,sexist, bigoted, homophobic etc.
Am I allowed to ask what colour a 'chalk board' is? Apparently not.If I say it's black who am I offending? The word 'blackboard' hasn't died because of a natural development of the English language, it's been killed by someone looking for offence where none could be intended and none would be taken. Someone looking to impose unnatural and unnecessary change just to prove they can, that their brand of thinking rules.
And it's working.
Old 29-04-2012, 18:56   #15
Lee

Shakespeare himself invented words, he helped the English language grow. We don't need to rewrite anything. The English language has evolved and will continue to evolve with new words added all the time. I do not fear this.

As for your contrived facetious example of what could be considered offensive, of course people will get offended at any clumsy language. Offence is subjective, some people are easily offended, let them be. If you believe what you are saying is not impolite or offensive then you need not change your language.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..