Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 21-03-2008, 23:50   #16

Re: Human-animal embryos

I watched with both interest and grave concern on a number of levels, the spot SkyNews gave to this subject (its on their website).

The moral interests, whilst important, are not the only concern for me. These are to be resolved at individual level and by personal criteria. The other element of concern is the call for MPs to resign should they find their religion in conflict with government policy.

This is clearly an emotive topic, with passionate arguments no doubt for and against, and that appreciated, I would like to look at the abstract - do we elect an MP or look at a government minister for religious moral guidance? Its that age old question of how far religion should interfere with politics and vice versa - ive already made a point in a previous posting as to how the two should avoid each other, well, like the plague.

What happens though, irrespective of political party (and you really must put that at the back of your mind), when a government implements a policy that has religious implications? Should MPs who's religions oppose that policy have to resign if they are part of the government of cabinet that approved it? I would hope not. Politicians, despite the craven views of some, are there to assist in governance, not the promotion or justification of religious values - to take a quote from the "West Wing" as stated by a running Senator, 'Il answer any question on government, but if you have a question about religion, please, go to church'

Cos it rocks!!!

"I have often regretted my speech, never my silence." - Xenocrates (396-314 B.C.)
MikeSz is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 22-03-2008, 01:01   #17
God Member

to my mind its the same as beastiality , but in place of the village idiot messing with the local sheep now we have called educated scientists in white coats doing it in a lab.

steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2008, 09:32   #18
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
We already have animal-human hybrids.
Have you never been to Burnley?
I think Lancsdave must be on holiday or he would have given you some stick by now Neil
On the subject, I'm totally against this embryo research, no one knows where its going to go. I have recently written to Greg Pope on the subject and he has given me a detailed reply, I only hope there is a free vote in the commons as these things should not be debated on party lines
Old 22-03-2008, 09:40   #19
God Member

Other countries allow this and others don't. The early research has proven to be quite exciting for scientific development and I think, even as a Catholic, that this should be allowed.

If anyone wants to read any interesting articles on this area you should be able to find some on Bionews (type this into google and u should find the website). From what I vaguely remember, they cured a rat/mouse of a severe heart problem with this type of science, so obviously that kind of thing pushes scientists to want this allowed but I wonder too whether it is ethical.

I believe the key legal question in these areas is whether the evil counters a greater evil, and I think this science has the potential to do good, but also possibly do harm.

Either way, the church will only delay this legislation, I don't think they'll be successful in stopping it completely.
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2008, 10:11   #20
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazey View Post
Other countries allow this and others don't. The early research has proven to be quite exciting for scientific development and I think, even as a Catholic, that this should be allowed.

If anyone wants to read any interesting articles on this area you should be able to find some on Bionews (type this into google and u should find the website). From what I vaguely remember, they cured a rat/mouse of a severe heart problem with this type of science, so obviously that kind of thing pushes scientists to want this allowed but I wonder too whether it is ethical.

I believe the key legal question in these areas is whether the evil counters a greater evil, and I think this science has the potential to do good, but also possibly do harm.

Either way, the church will only delay this legislation, I don't think they'll be successful in stopping it completely.
That just about sums it up, but be careful what you say, your heading towards the Church excommunicating you and the animal rights activists burning your house down!

Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2008, 14:00   #21
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
That just about sums it up, but be careful what you say, your heading towards the Church excommunicating you and the animal rights activists burning your house down!

Sometimes I feel like burning the house down myself. As for the Church excommunicating me. They can force me out of the church if they wish but they can't take away my faith, and with the dwindling numbers of young catholics I think they'd be better to keep schtum.

Besides, the catholic church do sometimes change their views on things. They're accepting homosexuality more and more, contraception is generally seen as ok now, and they don't tut so much at divorce now so long as you don't think your welcome to get married in church a second time .

The mouse didn't die, it was cured of a heart problem. I get the feeling in was something to do with cow/human hybrid but who knows, I'm not exactly the best for remembering things. Then again, I doubt the scientists would have told us if it had dropped dead, because that would've been a step back better to keep it to themselves.
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2008, 16:33   #22
Passed away 25-11-09

I think everyone should get out of their minds the thought of human/animal hybrids. What is proposed is not embryo babies with cloven hooves and a tail etc. This is about using cells that are at a pre-embryo stage and will not develop any further.

We have all read stories such as Frankenstein's Monster and they colour the thinking but this is medical research not megelomania. There have been many controversial events in the history of modern medicine which, if left to the will of the people, would probably never have taken place. Who remembers Christiaan Barnard acheiving the world's first heart transplant? He didn't tell anyone he was going to do it, which was just as well because there were many opponents after the event.

I say the research should go ahead and I say this as someone who is opposed to pregnancy termination. These "embryos" will not be human beings or animals, they will simply be collections of cells.
Old 22-03-2008, 21:19   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
ya can't put the goverment to one side, at the end of the day,they will authorise n regulate it, n with their record which aint great,it will give any dodgy researcher, the oppertunity to play god thats how i see it.
We don’t even want the government involved with this, their Pirbright research facility in Surrey was basically found to be mingin’ and the cause of the foot and mouth outbreak they had last year.
Old 23-03-2008, 18:01   #24

Quote:

Bleedin cheek

Ain't no animal/human hybrids in Burnley, the locals would have eaten em by now..............
Old 23-03-2008, 18:05   #25
God Member

Quote:
Old 23-03-2008, 18:07   #26
God Member

There are some things which we are better not to be aware of, this is one of them.
Old 23-03-2008, 19:33   #27
Loz

I am for it personally.
Anything that could help in the prevention or cure of serious illnesses can't be a bad thing surely?
The Embryo isn't human so i don't see what the fuss is about.
Old 23-03-2008, 19:54   #28
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by West Ender View Post
These "embryos" will not be human beings or animals, they will simply be collections of cells.
Exactly West Ender .. just get on with it you wonderful scientists and cure some of these awful diseases that are affecting the world. Can't stop science anyway .. who would want to ?? Just all about blood/matter and bone .. just a variation of cells all of us.

Could save us all at some stage from a world wide plague.

Survival of the planet at the end of the day .. b*gger religious intervention .. I trust science against any unproven imaginative religious dreamworlds
katex is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..