Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2004, 12:58   #1
God Member

Hyndburn Dog Dirt Centre

..I've just done had a little return walk involving a route passing through the cap park of what used to be The Hyndburn Sports Centre. Alas, no more. The place appears to have been taken over by a large dog-owners association (is it something to do with the councils privatisation policy?) Anyway, while passing through from the Henry Street side I counted 4 dogs (with their owners present) defecating on the grass to the side, and then another 3 dogs defecating by the kissing gate at Emma street. On my return half an hour later, some 4 dogs were defecating by the kissing gate (owners present, 2 proudly displaying rosettes...) and another 2 on the grass verge rurther further up.

Is all this stuff going for recycling? Is it being returned from whence it came (most of these dog owners appear to be from out of town)? Is there not a council bye-law and national lawthat dog derecation in a public place is a criminal offence? Where are the community support officers? Why are these people being allowed to get away with this? How much money have they paid to allow them to get away with this?
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 12-04-2004, 13:24   #2
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!
Re: Hyndburn Dog Dirt Centre

It's all over town Tealeaf, you've really got to watch where you stepooh: There is only one dog warden in Accy and according to this weeks observer he is overworked and the council cannot afford more bins. They said something like they can't afford for them to be emptied regularly so it would cause a health hazard having full dog poo bins everywhere!!!! As opposed to the health hazard of ooh: all over the pavements, for people to step in and kiddies to slip in, because lets face it kiddies always do..
I regularly use the bins on Highams playing field, and can tell you that after a weekend you are hard pressed to fit anymore bags in them. Plenty of folk must be using them round here, there's just not enough.

If the council were considering wasting money by putting some monstrous so -called art work on top of the coppice I know what it should be....ooh:

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2004, 16:37   #3
God Member

My point is that the Council are instumental in organising this doghouse...the sports centre has been turned into a Mini-Crufts for this afternoon...well, the dogs will be gone...but the s**t will still be there. This is outrageous. Just remember that next time when some council official tells you not to leave your black bin liner next to your wheelie bin.
Old 12-04-2004, 17:20   #4
mez
God Member

we go out with empty carrier bags & pick it up, im sure you can get doggie bags free from somewhere but cant remember were.
Old 12-04-2004, 17:56   #5
Filthy / Gorgeous

I heard you can get free doggy doo bags from the council. I usually use a carrier bag (they're bigger)

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
Old 12-04-2004, 18:14   #6
Senior Member+

you can get poo bags from the council either free or a small fee of twenty pence something like that...cant remember.they are green and black.
mrskitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2004, 18:58   #7
God Member

...most of these people who were with these "showdogs" were from out of town...the dogs were being exhibited on the main sports centre floor. Alot of the vehicles around the car park were adapted dog carriers (like police dog vans)...whatever, they were bringing their dogs out, walking them round the carpark & grass and then letting them crap all over the grass prior to them taking them inside...quite honestly, there was one woman stood there chatting on her mobile while the dog was doing it'd buisness right there..she did'nt give a dam.
Old 12-04-2004, 19:08   #8
Filthy / Gorgeous

Some poor sod who works at the sports centre might have the pleasure of cleaning that up. You'd think if it was an organised event the council would have made provision for the collection and disposal of the dog waste.
Then again, who am I kidding, they can't tackle household waste and recycling, dog waste would just push em over the edge.

Old 12-04-2004, 22:14   #9
God Member

I may be wrong in blaming the council directly.....is'nt the sports centre run by a "trust" or something similar? Whatever, I still found it highly offensive that this sort of event was organised without any thought going into the "by product"
Old 13-04-2004, 07:19   #10
Filthy / Gorgeous

I know that the people who work at the sports centre are employed by Lancs County Council, cos if you're a council employee you get discounts at the sports centre. You've thought that somebody would have organised some sort of clean up after a planned event.

Old 13-04-2004, 13:19   #11
Senior Member+

The green poo bags were free for one week only, that was last week. The reason being the council thought that it would encourage dog owners to clean up there dog's mess.I cant see people who DONT clean up after there dog walking down to the town hall for the freebies. The price of the bags are 25 pence per 50, as i being a good dog owner cleans up the mess.
Old 13-04-2004, 17:59   #12
Senior Member+

As someone who only has a "virtual dog"but also a quite clumsy 8 year old I am in full agreement that something needs to be done...does anyone ever get fined? Apparently there are £1000 penalty notices on Essex St where this is a major issue. Name and shame I say,and next time I see it happening I will "politely" ask the owner to remove it!Maybe if we all carried bags and then picked up the offending item and returned it to the owner with a "You've dropped this" people might think twice!
Old 13-04-2004, 19:58   #13
Accrington Web Mascot

We've come a long way since sewage flowed down the streets and you had to watch for people throwing their waste out the windows. We would now be completely disgusted if we had to walk past human waste - but not many people bat an eyelid if it's dog poo????
ShortStuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2004, 18:09   #14
Senior Member+

The daft thing about this is that it doesn't seem as much of an issue elsewhere...my fella's parents live in Derbyshire and it's so clean, no litter,and no dog poo!They even commented on it on a recent visit here and it doesn't exactly fill you with community pride!I think the fines need to be imposed and if you see a regular offender....grass 'em up!.
Old 14-04-2004, 19:49   #15
I am Banned

i live near essex street and it is bad but no i seem to do anything

if your dog has diorahoa while he/she s***les please be clean and pick it up
Stanley4Life is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..