Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2006, 09:29   #106
Member.

Re: I almost daren't post this...

If the amenities are in situ and operable (no pun intended) and there’s sufficient demand from the public why don’t you form a Friends Association in partnership with HBC and the Arts Council and develop Theatre in Hyndburn.

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 02-02-2006, 09:52   #107
Member.

Because I know little about these things and time is become tight due to contractual obligations could someone come up with a Poll that gives us some idea of what the People of Accrington Web would like to see in respect of Arts and Culture initiatives in Hyndburn i.e.:

Should we have Public Statues?

What should they represent?

Where should they be placed?

Should we develop stronger Theatrical Links in the area?

Should Theatre in Hyndburn be managed by HBC or a Friends Group?

Should it cater widely to other cultural groups?

Should we develop Themed Recreational Facilities in the area i.e. Canal Life etc.?

Should we develop and consolidate our local amenities like parks and garden in to areas of public art?

What is it that members what to see. Is it:

More Festivals

What should they represent?

When should they be held?

Who should arrange and control these events?

More Street Art:

What should it represent?

Where should it be displayed?

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 11:15   #108
Give, give, give member

We'll have to wait until May for the charity sponge throwing for charity then.

Depending on the result of the election, it might just be Neil with his wet sponge, or hundreds of people if Peter Britcliffe wins.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 18:46   #109
Give, give, give member

Flyer in this week's Observer.

Cultural life in Hyndburn this Spring 2006-

Line dancing.

Sequence dancing.

Saturday night dancing.

Water colour exhibition at the Howarth.

Alice in Wonderland.

Neil Innes and friends.

The Flanagan and Allen story.

Phil Cool.

Roy Orbison tribute singer, Blue Bayou.

Meatloaf and Cher, tribute act.

Marty Wilde, the real one!

Jack and Jill.

The 9th Lancashire food festival.

Old 02-02-2006, 20:06   #110
God Member

Presumably this was all arranged by the four who have lost their jobs. If that is an example of the best that can be made of an Arts Council Grant and council funding, then I have to say that it is probably better for the borough that they have gone.

Not one of the events listed above would entice me to venture from the comfort of my armchair - even if I was so bored that I was reduced to counting the number of times HBC used the word "inclusive" on its website in the attempt at finding some mental stimulation.

Facts must be faced, the people of Accrington and the wider borough have little understanding or appreciation of the Arts. Thus it can come as little surprise to find that HBC, as representative of the people, similarly has little understanding and appreciation. HBC mismanages Haworth Art Gallery, not because it cannot afford it, funding can be found but, because it does not understand what it is for. It has tried various roles for the Haworth and its collections, the latest being part of the Accrington tourist haven idea, and all have inefectually petered out into insignificance. It understands that the collections have a monetary value but that is about as far as the understanding goes. Concepts of the necessity of conservation, access, display and explanation are lost on them. This is why they sold off the Ashton-Frost steam engine and also why the Oak Hill Collections were dispersed.

Why do people in Accrington have such an ingrained resistance to the influence of High Arts and Culture? Mainly, because they are not taught that it is a legitimate adult pursuit. "Art" is something you do at school on wet afternoons with sugar paper and poster paint. It is diametrically opposed to the prevailing protestant work ethic. That is why whenever public art is proposed the project is always given to schoolchildren, who produce dismal and apalling mosaics.

Is there a way out of this situation? Probably not, unless we give way to tyrants like ELP and the North-West Development Agency who are prepared to impose art on the borough...and foot the bill. Other than that, I am afraid, it will continue to be more of the same.

Last edited by Acrylic-bob; 02-02-2006 at 20:09.
Acrylic-bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 20:14   #111
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acrylic-bob
Presumably this was all arranged by the four who have lost their jobs.

No, none of these are organised by the Arts dev team. I think I may possibly have mentioned more than once that the Arts dev team are working on community projects, youth theatre, and various festivals etc.

Most of the stuff above is booked by the Theatre manager (not sure of his actual title). He is NOT part of the arts dev team.

I'm getting a bit fed up of repeating myself!

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Last edited by Gayle; 02-02-2006 at 20:34.
Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 20:33   #112
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acrylic-bob
If that is an example of the best that can be made of an Arts Council Grant and council funding, then I have to say that it is probably better for the borough that they have gone.

Not one of the events listed above would entice me to venture from the comfort of my armchair - even if I was so bored that I was reduced to counting the number of times HBC used the word "inclusive" on its website in the attempt at finding some mental stimulation.

HBC mismanages Haworth Art Gallery, not because it cannot afford it, funding can be found but, because it does not understand what it is for. It has tried various roles for the Haworth and its collections, the latest being part of the Accrington tourist haven idea, and all have inefectually petered out into insignificance. It understands that the collections have a monetary value but that is about as far as the understanding goes. Concepts of the necessity of conservation, access, display and explanation are lost on them. This is why they sold off the Ashton-Frost steam engine and also why the Oak Hill Collections were dispersed.

Got to agree with you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acrylic-Bob

Is there a way out of this situation? Probably not, unless we give way to tyrants like ELP and the North-West Development Agency who are prepared to impose art on the borough...and foot the bill. Other than that, I am afraid, it will continue to be more of the same.
Yes, there is a way out of the situation. It will take guts and it will take passion but it is possible.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Last edited by Gayle; 03-02-2006 at 11:57.
Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 22:06   #113
God Member

I agree with that too AB the same happens here all the time, sounds like you'r quite a large town but suffer the problems that we have as a small town proably because your sandwiched between two larger towns.

When I say more shops whispy, what I actually mean is more shops, not buildings, although building more shops isn't such a bad thing as long as it doesn't take the shops out of the buildings in town centre. we are in the unusual situation that not only are they not building more shops but they are taking the existing shops for flats whilst trying to push the town as a tourist town. We're creating a book town but have no sizable shops to put the bookshops in. You need a couple of thousand books out to make it work so i'm told but cant fit that many in a lounge sized sales area. If it works and it seems to be albeit very slow( perhaps better than boom and bust), that will fill all the empty shops up and we'll have no town centre space to build more.
Madhatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 22:15   #114
Resident Waffler

It's pound shops and charity shops here that we have in abundance. We could do with a few more of the up market shops.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 22:17   #115
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug
Because I know little about these things and time is become tight due to contractual obligations could someone come up with a Poll that gives us some idea of what the People of Accrington Web would like to see in respect of Arts and Culture initiatives in Hyndburn i.e.:

Should we have Public Statues? of course

What should they represent? anything and everything but something with a local theme is greta

Where should they be placed? in town is best where most people can see tham or on a trail on the edge or out of town

Should we develop stronger Theatrical Links in the area? yes

Should Theatre in Hyndburn be managed by HBC or a Friends Group? friend are more in tune with whats wanted locally

Should it cater widely to other cultural groups? such as

Should we develop Themed Recreational Facilities in the area i.e. Canal Life etc.? you should make the best of what you have, and you have a lot up there

Should we develop and consolidate our local amenities like parks and garden in to areas of public art? with public art in? haven't they already?, isn't a park a piece of art already, in itself.
In our experience if you wait for any council to do anything such as streets shows or festivals you'll wait forever. Our councils pay for very little esp the borough council, most of what happens is paid for by groups raising money off public, match funding and grants.
Old 02-02-2006, 22:20   #116
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp
It's pound shops and charity shops here that we have in abundance. We could do with a few more of the up market shops.
Ditto here whispy but we have none of your high street shops, here is like ossy by the sound of it.
Old 02-02-2006, 22:29   #117
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madhatter
In our experience if you wait for any council to do anything such as streets shows or festivals you'll wait forever. Our councils pay for very little esp the borough council, most of what happens is paid for by groups raising money off public, match funding and grants.
Admitted, but when we have paid public servants who aren't doing their jobs to the full extent, it should be brought to the attention of the people who are paying for it via their council tax.

I don't mean the four strong, soon to be axed, arts development team, but exactly how many people on HBC are responsible for the arts, if all the other bits weren't in the 'remit' of the arts development team?

Old 02-02-2006, 23:25   #118
God Member

When do they ever do their jobs or do anything properly rindy. These are council employees, the two just don't go together. They seem to enjoy wasting our money, then try to brag about it, and to cap it all, they try to block any group getting grants because they've had good ideas that they never thought of or simply put more effort in than they did.
Old 03-02-2006, 05:11   #119

"Facts must be faced, the people of Accrington and the wider borough have little understanding or appreciation of the Arts."

Wow that has got to be one of the most offensive, sweepingly innacurate statements I have ever read on this site. And there have been a few!
I'm sure the many thousands of people in the borough would probably argue with that, don't you think? But it's okay, because there are people on Accy web willing to stand up for them! To point out the innacuracies in such statements and do their best to fight for the arts!
Oh. No there's not. Just those willing to criticise from their armchairs. Booo, hissss.

----------------------
My views, my opinions. blah blah
dillon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 10:47   #120
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dillon
"Facts must be faced, the people of Accrington and the wider borough have little understanding or appreciation of the Arts."

Wow that has got to be one of the most offensive, sweepingly innacurate statements I have ever read on this site. And there have been a few!
I'm sure the many thousands of people in the borough would probably argue with that, don't you think? But it's okay, because there are people on Accy web willing to stand up for them! To point out the innacuracies in such statements and do their best to fight for the arts!
Oh. No there's not. Just those willing to criticise from their armchairs. Booo, hissss.

----------------------
My views, my opinions. blah blah

Are you missing doing the Mr Angry column?

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..