Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2006, 12:06   #121
God Member

Re: I almost daren't post this...

Apparently, around 5% of the population of East Lancashire is employed in some creative means - the definition includes web designers, film and media industries as well as freelance artists, actors, workshop tutors, etc - so it's a really broad definition.

What it means is that around about 26,000 people (I got rough population figures off the Lancashire County Council website) are earning their livings through being creative. For Hyndburn that means around about 4,000 people if my calculations are ok.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 03-02-2006, 12:51   #122
God Member

Would a barber/hairdresser be classified as working in the "creative" sector? Not that I use 'em much, but I would guess that there must be a good few hundred of 'em around Accy.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 12:58   #123
God Member

Doubt it very much!

Old 03-02-2006, 15:13   #124
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dillon
"Facts must be faced, the people of Accrington and the wider borough have little understanding or appreciation of the Arts."

Wow that has got to be one of the most offensive, sweepingly innacurate statements I have ever read on this site. And there have been a few!
I'm sure the many thousands of people in the borough would probably argue with that, don't you think? But it's okay, because there are people on Accy web willing to stand up for them! To point out the innacuracies in such statements and do their best to fight for the arts!
Oh. No there's not. Just those willing to criticise from their armchairs. Booo, hissss.

----------------------
My views, my opinions. blah blah
If it is, why doesn't your arts venues put on more and better quality shows, events etc, why does it struggle to get people to a museum, why do they keep changing it's direction. I think it's true, and I don't think it's offensive, because it's the product of a vicious circle created in the first place by cut backs, lack of arts in all areas, lack of promotion of those arts. Other town smaller than accy have a civic centre that puts on some great shows, bedworth civic hall in warwickshire is probably my nearsest, but even then that isn't advertised as it should be.
If you deprive people of the arts, your going to get people who don't even know what it means, some people have never been to a theatre in their life. I don't consider that to be entirely their fault.
Madhatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 18:50   #125
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dillon
"Facts must be faced, the people of Accrington and the wider borough have little understanding or appreciation of the Arts."

Wow that has got to be one of the most offensive, sweepingly innacurate statements I have ever read on this site. And there have been a few!
I'm sure the many thousands of people in the borough would probably argue with that, don't you think? But it's okay, because there are people on Accy web willing to stand up for them! To point out the innacuracies in such statements and do their best to fight for the arts!
Said The Accrington Observer's equivalent to Kenneth Clarke. Okay dillon, let's see you stand up for the insulted mass of Accrington's culturally aware. I am looking forward to reading of the inaccuracies (note sp.: one n, three c's) in my offending post, and I just can't wait to see you get your sleeves rolled up and get stuck into The Fight for the Arts in Accrington. Do you perhaps intend selling tickets? If so, may I reserve a ringside seat?
Old 03-02-2006, 20:05   #126
God Member

Dillon works for the LET I think. Used to work for Acc Obs.

Old 04-02-2006, 03:56   #127
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle
Dillon works for the LET I think. Used to work for Acc Obs.
Thanks Gayle, that would explain a great deal.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..