Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 30-07-2007, 22:27   #1
God Member

'I can't stand on one leg officer'

'I can't stand on one leg officer'
BBC NEWS | UK | Drug-drivers targeted in campaign
That is a fact for me - flat feet - an orthopedic surgeon explained it to me years ago during an examinatuon of my poor misshapen tootsies.
I had once ventured into yoga classes but only went once - got stared at as though I was drunk. When everybody got into the stork position , I just fell over - I'm just a woman who is most comfortable standing on her own two feet.

The tests they are going to use on suspected drugged drivers just seem rather 'antique' -like the tests for drunks before they invented breathalisers.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 31-07-2007, 12:41   #2
Apprentice Geriatric

Unhappy Re: 'I can't stand on one leg officer'

After watching this item on the news yesterday I think it was, I decided to test myself.

I can close my eyes and touch my nose with my index finger OK. Passed.
If I try to stand on one leg I wobble even with eyes open. I practically fall over with eyes shut. Failed.
If I try to walk a straight line heel to toe I cannot. I can’t even do three steps let alone a few yards. Failed again.

Hopefully the cops will take into account a person’s age otherwise we golden oldies are going to fill up the courts.

I wonder how they would go on with a driver who only has one leg or none at all?

I appreciate that a drugged driver (including someone on prescription drugs that warn people not to drive whilst on them) is just as much of a menace as a drunk driver but surely the ‘clever’ boffins can come up with some test that will not rely on physical movement.
Old 31-07-2007, 13:33   #3
God Member

Re: 'I can't stand on one leg officer'

They were saying on the news that it would be very difficult to come up with a 'breathaliser for druggies' as the manufacturers of illegal drugs in this day & age are forever making drugs that cannot be traced.
Also, many softer drugs tend stay in the system for a long time whereas harder drugs can run out of the system quickly so punishment could easily be misplaced.
shakermaker is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..