Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2007, 09:13   #1

I know let's scrap Asbos

The latest suggestion to combat Youth crime has been announced;amongst other themes one is to scrap Asbos.(OK)Another is to raise the criminal age of responsibility to 14 or possibly 18 years of age.
Am I missing something here?BBC NEWS | England | Criminal age 'should rise to 18'
Lampman is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 02-09-2007, 09:52   #2

Re: I know let's scrap Asbos

see also the thread about naming of young criminals.

Theres no doubt for some of the drgs of our community these are simply a badge of honour. lets name and shame all these kids in the local press or on websites with their addresses and photographs.

The police are understaffed and have no powers, the courts pussyfoot around lets have zero tolerance and get this scum off our streets
hedman2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 11:24   #3

Yes a name and shame website would be good,though the PC brigade wouldnt allow it would they?
Old 02-09-2007, 12:09   #4
Senior Member+

Unhappy Re: I know let's scrap Asbos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lampman View Post
Yes a name and shame website would be good,though the PC brigade wouldnt allow it would they?
most areas have a pubwatch scheme
this doesnt work because landlords cant
display photos and names of wrongdoers
i know its slightly different
but the principals the same im all for it name and shame
but the reality is it wont get of the ground

like i've never been gone
beechy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 13:33   #5

No we have to preserve human rights and right to anonominity after all.Unless you are a victim of course!
Old 02-09-2007, 14:01   #6
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

i'm all in favour of scrapping Asbos, i think they should increase the sentences,n do away with these soft options.
Old 02-09-2007, 15:05   #7
Resident Waffler

The way some kids think of ASBOs as a badge of honour I don't think they're really such a great thing.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 15:08   #8
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: I know let's scrap Asbos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lampman View Post
The answer is simple then.

Get rid of the PC brigade.
Old 02-09-2007, 15:14   #9
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambutty View Post
The answer is simple then.

Get rid of the PC brigade.
Easier said than done, this country is full of do gooders. Just wondering if they would feel the same if one of their family was murdered, attacked, robbed or had any crime committed against them!! I think not, they would be shouting for punishments that fit the crime if it were to happen to any of their loved ones!!!
Old 02-09-2007, 15:22   #10
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: I know let's scrap Asbos

With the current “Criminal Age Of Responsibility” set at 10 years, raising it to 18 or even 14 is just plain daft. But then since when did academics live in the real world? It makes you wonder how some people get into a university.

Once someone of any age has been found guilty of a crime they should be named and shamed unless an appeal has been launched. Then the naming and shaming should be held back until the outcome of the appeal.

I would add to that the parents of any convicted criminal under the age of 18 should also be named and shamed.
Old 02-09-2007, 16:50   #11

Can't find anything wrong with that JB!
Old 02-09-2007, 17:24   #12
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambutty View Post

I would add to that the parents of any convicted criminal under the age of 18 should also be named and shamed.
I second to that!!
but they probably wont give a toss anyway
Old 02-09-2007, 20:58   #13
God Member

What do they replace it with? At the end of the day it will be a badge of honour among his/her pals. Going after the parents dosnt help either as they might claim victimisation.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..