Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 31-08-2006, 17:47   #1
Apprentice Geriatric

Angry I Spy With My Little Eye!

According to the news recently 500,000 wheelie bins have been bugged so that the local authority can determine how much non recyclable rubbish each person is throwing away and also how much of that rubbish is actually recyclable with a view to charging them for the non recyclable rubbish.

I’ve just looked hard at my calendar and it is not the 1st April.

Apparently, a disk about the size of two penny piece and a bit thicker is secured under the lip of the bin in a recess that is already moulded into place. There is a potential £1,000 fine if it is removed. I’ve just looked at my wheelie bins and they all have the recess. I have had my black bin or dark grey as the council calls it, for more than five years and it wasn’t new when I took up residence in my present address. So the question is, is it just a coincidence that there is a place to put a bug that just happens to be exactly the right size?

Again, apparently, this ‘bugging’ has been done without the wheelie bin custodian’s knowledge or consent.

As far as I am aware before the government local or national or police or any other government department can place a surveillance bug in or around a person’s house, whether it is rented or owned by the occupier, a court order must be sought first.

I suppose it could be argued that as the wheelie bin actually belongs to the local authority and not the home occupier they don’t need a court order to bug their own equipment. But the wheelie bin has been issued to the house occupier complete with a surveillance bug and that has to be against the law.

Somebody please assure me that we are not galloping headlong into an Orwellion nightmare.
Old 31-08-2006, 17:53   #2

Re: I Spy With My Little Eye!

oops.
can this be deleted....
kash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2006, 17:54   #3
I am Banned

if you find one of these devices simply attatch a stong magnet to teh lid for a few seconds and let them wonder wht it dosnt work anymore or any other method you can think of to damage it without removing it

bloody pathetic wasting money on crap l;iek this when the area needs so much money spending on it
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2006, 17:55   #4
Senior Member+

I read that article too;assumed it was a wind up and then when I got home I had to go out and check! No sign of a bug like the one pictured in the article;but sadly plenty of slugs hiding under there!
Can't see the thing working to be honest;other folk are forever putting stuff in my bin when I put it out so how do you prove that the odd bean tin was yours?
Old 31-08-2006, 18:06   #5
Senior Member+

It was on tv last night (Richard & Judy Show) about it. Apparently the recess is there because the bins are made in Germany, & they already use the electronic device.

How sad am i? Watching "Richard & Judy show".

Check out this site... http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=402439&in_page_id=1770

The views expressed here are my own & are not necessarily those of the site.

Last edited by AccyJay; 31-08-2006 at 18:43.
AccyJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2006, 18:19   #6
I am Banned

Surely cant be or else i wouldnt of had to wait 3-6 mnths for a replacement bin cos they would of known it was being stolen by youths & then ended up on a bonfire & not needed of police intervention.

Mmmmmm how many bins are they in Lancashire??? they struggled to afford to get those nevermind secure them with expensive survailance equipment for everyones bins in the borough, if anything they would probably do that sort of thing if say, the occupiers didnt attempt to reycle bins constantly overflowing & had good reason to obtain evidence to the contary, just the threat of imputting such devices would be enough for some to recycle properly or would secure non recyclers to be charged but on the whole would create outcry of invasion of privacy, by the way of courts would be a tricky dealing as to the householder bing warned that such a device is to be fitted, which i think they should in order to prepare them or serve as warning & would it actually deter inappropiate tipping - i think that could certainly increase!!

As been on the news [im going to creep myself out i hate vermin] that there is increase of rats about in Lancashire due to people dropping food litter, just think of the impact this will have if the council got all too heavy like traffic police ?? bascially if these said bins are bugged looking a worst senario & they refuse to take rubbish as householder doesn't or cant pay, we will find many yards & gardens of these said people overflowing with rubbish then that area is going to attract rats like the plague & tbh i wouldnt like to live next door - certainly a health risk - specially if dumped in open land somewhere....what happens then???? Would the rubbish be removed anyway or would it be a wait for payment or court intervention - what if payment still isnt made what happens to their rubbish anyway????

I rarely now fill my bin to the brim after a fortnight cept occaisionally as i maintain my recycling but someone could dump their rubbish in my bin without my consent nor knowledge [gee i would need survailance myself] could dispose of their rubbish or dispose of recyclable stuff in my bin during the night or whilst awaiting emptying, this bug detects it & it would be me that be charged despite it not being mine in the 1st place!! How could i disprove this ? therefore again the law abidding gets duped for someone elses wrongdoing [trust me this will increase bet it has since the one bin a fortnight has been going] so how will that be managed fairly?

So do i think this method will be viable ?? - err as ive explained the pitfalls i dont think so
accymel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2006, 18:19   #7
I am Banned

no i do remember reading that in germany they have speed cameras in dummy wheelie bins and i think i have mentioned it on here before

regardless if a wheelie bin flashes at me it will be picked up and slung in my car boot and disposed of
Old 31-08-2006, 18:19   #8
I am Banned

no i do remember reading that in germany they have speed cameras in dummy wheelie bins and i think i have mentioned it on here before

regardless if a wheelie bin flashes at me it will be picked up and slung in my car boot and disposed of
Old 31-08-2006, 18:29   #9
Beacon of light

If this 'bug did become separated from the bin.....wouldn't the council have to prove beyond reasonable doubt that YOU removed it?
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2006, 18:36   #10
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington
If this 'bug did become separated from the bin.....wouldn't the council have to prove beyond reasonable doubt that YOU removed it?
Thats a good point yes they would
accymel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2006, 18:40   #11
Beacon of light

Oh well, that's ok then.......me a little weak(old) woman against those big burly binmen....who do you think knocked it off?
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2006, 18:45   #12
Senior Member+

Check out this site.....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/liv...n_page_id=1770

Old 31-08-2006, 18:47   #13
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

never heard such crap in all my life,and the sad thing about it is its true. big brother is watching you.
Old 31-08-2006, 18:51   #14
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington
Very good point. I'm sure somebody will find a way to inadvertantly the curcuits.

http://www.pocket-lint.co.uk/news.php?newsId=4505

Old 31-08-2006, 18:59   #15
Senior Member+

Just found this on the envioment.org site ........

Quote:
I have heard that certain local councils are thinking about a scheme where they are going to microchip peoples toilets to see how much human waste we dispose of. If it is too much we will be fined heavily.

The people who are dealing with this are called the Toilet Waste Amount Trial Section. (T.W.A.T.S.)

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..