Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 31-08-2006, 14:42   #1
Senior Member+

Remaking the Dambusters...

The Lord of the Rings director Peter Jackson is to remake classic British war film The Dam Busters, he has told film industry trade paper Screen Daily. Jackson will produce the movie, with King Kong animator Christian Rivers in the director's chair.
Jackson said it would be "as authentic as possible and as close to the spirit of the original as possible".
The 1954 film told the true story of how Britain developed bouncing bombs to destroy German dams in World War II.

So what do u make of this? sounds promising. considering when the original one was made the mission was still classified as top secret. but please dont make it into another kong!
Old 31-08-2006, 14:48   #2
God Member

Re: Remaking the Dambusters...

There was a very funny lager advert a few years ago showing a german on a damm wall like a goalkeeper saving the bouncing bombs.. I think it was in the carling black label series.. It was taken off as offensive I think.... was the funniest one as well.

I seen the original film...enjoyed it... would be interested in the remake certainly
Old 31-08-2006, 14:57   #3
God Member

I'll bet 10 quid that Ian McKellan ends up playing Barnes Wallis and Orlando Bloome plays Guy Gibson.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2006, 16:08   #4
Senior Member+

and watch how it'll b some gung ho american who ends up flying the plane after some john wayne-type stole the bomb details single handedly from the germans
Old 31-08-2006, 16:49   #5
I am Banned

as long as the keep the guy who stands there catching the bombs like in the carling advert ille be happy
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2006, 16:49   #6
Passed away 25-11-09

I heard about this a couple of months ago. Apparently there is a problem over Guy Gibson's dog's name. It was a black labrador and it went everywhere with him, except when he was flying, and its name was Nigger. The prospective producers don't know what to do about it. They want it included in the story as it was a big part of Gibson's life and was the squadron's mascot but they're scared of causing offense.

Anyway, who ever they cast as Gibson isn't going to be as gorgeous as Richard Todd.
Old 31-08-2006, 17:58   #7
Apprentice Geriatric

Exclamation Re: Remaking the Dambusters...

That was a great Carling Black Label ad KIPAX.

As for a re-make. Re-makes are not known for being as good as the original except for the special effects.
Old 31-08-2006, 19:07   #8
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

remakes are not really my thing, in saying that though i presume much more detail about the raid should be known now, so i think if its well done i would love to see it.
Old 31-08-2006, 19:32   #9
God Member

ONE GOOD THING THOUGH IS THE SPECIAL EFFECTS WILL BE GOOD FOR THE GUNFIRE AND THE EXPLOSION AFTERMATH!!!

Should if treated and cast correctly be a cracking film.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2006, 21:47   #10
Senior Member+

Wonder if Corrie's Mike Baldwin(Johnny Briggs)will make an appearence as he was in original.Oh dear or was he in 633 Squadron
Old 31-08-2006, 22:46   #11
Give, give, give member

Noooooooooo.

Why the need to remake such a classic?

In my opinion no remake ever has topped the original, despite the advancement in technology.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2006, 23:03   #12

But why not?????????

By that token if there was never a remake then there'd've never been new versions of Shakespere's plays because surely a remake is just a new interpretation of something that's gone before so............... So no Olivier's Henry V, no Branagh's Hamlet and by the same token, no "my version of Much ado about nothing that I directed a few years back for Ossy Players that was bloody fantastic.
Old 31-08-2006, 23:12   #13
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady McGough
But why not?????????

By that token if there was never a remake then there'd've never been new versions of Shakespere's plays because surely a remake is just a new interpretation of something that's gone before so............... So no Olivier's Henry V, no Branagh's Hamlet and by the same token, no "my version of Much ado about nothing that I directed a few years back for Ossy Players that was bloody fantastic.

Sort of agree about Kenneth Branagh and re-interpreting Shakespeare, but I don't think there was a filmed definitive Hamlet before his, so I still think I'm right. As much as I love the June Alyson/Elizabeth Taylor 'Little Women' it was no where near as good as the original 1933 one with Katherine Hepburn, and both were in my opinion much better than the 90's one with Winona Ryder.

Besides Branagh's Shakespeare can anyone think of a remake of a film that was better than the original?

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 02:20   #14
God Member

Rindy, I think Ian McCellan's Richard III comes very close to Oliviers original , but agree, remakes never do justice to the original ......think Tallulah Bankhead in "a night to Remember" v the Kate Winslet thing in Titanic
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..