Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 26-08-2006, 11:16   #1
Resting in Peace

Working Environment

I don't particularly believe in open offices, but now find myself in a position where I have no choice, reasons being:-

Your input of work drops down by at least 30%.

Someone insists on wearing strong perfume that makes me cough, sneeze and generally nauseous.

Gentleman next to me clears his throat every 15 seconds .. like Chinese torture waiting for the next one.

The Noise: can't always hear the customer talking to me, but they can certainly hear the cacophony of my colleagues walking past laughing, joking, sometimes swearing.

They listen to conversations you are having with customers and try to interrupt to make comments or after you have put the phone down.

Insist on telling you the whole conversation they have had with a customer.

Have to listen several times to holiday stories, weekend stories, etc., as members of staff appear at different times.

Arguements constantly as to the heating .. some want it on, some don't, some want the windows open, some don't.

Certainly would not have a very personal conversation with anyone .. all ears prick up.

One of them insists on coming to chat when I am trying to get a particular difficult order on the system .. make mistakes.

The crunching of crisps, cracking of boiled sweets irritates me no end.

Have to listen to grumblings constantly with regard to what they sometimes consider the shortcomings of the management ..

The list goes on and on and I am guilty myself of most of the above, however, I would not now be without the fun, laughter, cameraderie, genuine sympathy you get if any troubles and team work now that we all display .. actually most times do look forward to Mondays (although would never admit it )

Oh yes, and the crummy DVD's we are allowed to play as background music at Chrismas.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 26-08-2006, 18:29   #2
God Member

Re: Working Environment

Used to have the old 'status' office but don't now - much prefer it now. Must admit that I wouldn't like it so much if everyone was in all the time. The advantage of the environment that we're in at MPA means that some days it feels like a private office as all the others are out doing arty things somewhere else.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2006, 20:39   #3
Passed away 25-11-09

My office is on 3 floors, all open-plan. The Big Bosses (Area Directors - very high grade) are on the ground floor, in what we call The Executive Suite (but they don't have their own loo) and they too share a large room. We don't have telephone contact with the public any more as that's all dealt with by call centres so the atmosphere is quite relaxed and there's quite a fair amount of space so one doesn't feel overcrowded. It can be distracting when you're concentrating and someone's having a conversation within earshot but I'm the sort who can "switch off" so it's not a problem.

I didn't think I would like it when we moved to new premises, 10 years ago, but now I wouldn't like to go back to the old system.
Old 31-08-2006, 00:36   #4

I feel sorry for the people that work with you katex.
kash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2006, 07:55   #5
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by kash
I feel sorry for the people that work with you katex.
Oh dear, wasn't being over critical, was I ?

What I was really trying to impart Kash, that whatever situations you may be thrown into, you have to learn tolerance and to live with the people you rub shoulders with every day. I wouldn't have it any other way now (well ), but I do care for all my colleagues and their different ways and whims just add colour to my working day.

Think we British can be a little too whingy and not always applaud success as they do in America.

P.S. I wouldn't like to work with me either! Have a nice day !
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2006, 19:10   #6
God Member

Well that sums it up Kate in a nutshell. Mind you two of our engineers sit oposite each other in a cubed area and have a chess compition between themselves. The only dude with a fully enclosed space is the VP.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2006, 23:14   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle
Used to have the old 'status' office but don't now - much prefer it now. Must admit that I wouldn't like it so much if everyone was in all the time. The advantage of the environment that we're in at MPA means that some days it feels like a private office as all the others are out doing arty things somewhere else.
God, I so envy you
Old 31-08-2006, 23:16   #8
Give, give, give member

What do you people mean by this word 'work'?

Or is the answer to that the reason I've posted so much?

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 05:10   #9
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda

Cant be working very hard or you would be heading for 10'000 posts by crimbo.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 06:35   #10
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda

Nope mate, I post most stuff from work so it definately isn't that

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..