Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-07-2011, 09:31   #91
Common Sense Member

Re: I want your desk cleared by 5....

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Just surprising how propaganda was published daily for 18 months prior to May
You mean Kenweb?

As you have very accurately pointed out, it is easy to criticise when you're in opposition and by thunder did I find it easy. What I'm finding far more enjoyable and productive is being in control and the energies I expended in picking holes in policies can now be channelled into trying to actually make them work.

I've been given a fantastic job and the work programme that I have drawn up will be discussed at Overview & Scrutiny tomorrow morning. If anyone is interested in details of what is being worked on then I will direct you to the minutes as they are published.

You recently said that life is more fun in opposition but at present I must respectfully disagree.

http://hyndburn-labour.blogspot.co.uk/ - Updates from the Hyndburn Labour Group
Ken Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 04-07-2011, 09:36   #92
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Moss View Post
You mean Kenweb?

As you have very accurately pointed out, it is easy to criticise when you're in opposition and by thunder did I find it easy. What I'm finding far more enjoyable and productive is being in control and the energies I expended in picking holes in policies can now be channelled into trying to actually make them work.

I've been given a fantastic job and the work programme that I have drawn up will be discussed at Overview & Scrutiny tomorrow morning. If anyone is interested in details of what is being worked on then I will direct you to the minutes as they are published.

You recently said that life is more fun in opposition but at present I must respectfully disagree.

Wait while you've been there 3 years and things start going tits up in true labour style mateand it will
Old 04-07-2011, 10:09   #93
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Wait while you've been there 3 years and things start going tits up in true labour style mateand it will
What's true Labour?

Hasn't it been ditched, similar to the hug-a-hoodie Tory Lites dropping any links to old style conservatism, in order to appeal to Middle England?

After all someone was asked to stand as a Labour candidate against Cllr. Britcliffe who thought the world's first N.H.S. was created and founded by the Liberal party.

Hardly red flag waving Marxism.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 10:15   #94
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
What's true Labour?

Hasn't it been ditched, similar to the hug-a-hoodie Tory Lites dropping any links to old style conservatism, in order to appeal to Middle England?

After all someone was asked to stand as a Labour candidate against Cllr. Britcliffe who thought the world's first N.H.S. was created and founded by the Liberal party.

You're forgetting that when you get elected as a Councillor your brain is removed and replaced with a political badge to eradicate any autonomous thought. You can't have elected members responding to change or making decisions based on common sense, it has to be the party line as we all know.

No deviations, that way history repeats itself and zealots get to make generalising statements.

I'm so glad I'm no longer my own man. I'd have to be accountable for my own actions.

Old 04-07-2011, 10:19   #95
Resting in Peace

Quote:
What's true Labour?

True Labour just a figure of speech, in reality I meant that those in office purporting to be labour always cock things up, sooner rather than later, that things can only get better never did ring true and it won't in Hyndburn either. I've already heard on the none political grapevine that Scaitcliffe already looks like a hen coop after a foxy woxy has been a calling, I'll let you work that one out for yourself G.
Old 04-07-2011, 10:20   #96
Give, give, give member

Quote:
You're forgetting that when you get elected as a Councillor your brain is removed and replaced with a political badge to eradicate any autonomous thought. You can't have elected members responding to change or making decisions based on common sense, it has to be the party line as we all know.

No deviations, that way history repeats itself and zealots get to make generalising statements.

I'm so glad I'm no longer my own man. I'd have to be accountable for my own actions.
Yeah, you're just so boring, now that you no longer speak your mind on here, and just trot out the same old party line.

Yada, yada, yada.

I do so wish you were able to post what you actually want to.

Old 04-07-2011, 10:26   #97
Common Sense Member

Quote:
True Labour just a figure of speech, in reality I meant that those in office purporting to be labour always cock things up, sooner rather than later, that things can only get better never did ring true and it won't in Hyndburn either. I've already heard on the none political grapevine that Scaitcliffe already looks like a hen coop after a foxy woxy has been a calling, I'll let you work that one out for yourself G.
'The grapevine', what a load of old twaddle. Do yourself a favour, call a spade a spade. If you mean that there has been a cull of staff then just ask your little grape to do a bit of research further along the vine. There's been a cull of wasteful spending, that's all.

Just ask your little grape how it was expected that £2m could be promised to the residents of Woodnook and the same £2m could also be intended for Township Regeneration proposals?

You're an intelligent man, wake up and take off the Tory blinkers. I'm a Labour Councillor and I'm not blind to Labour's faults in the past, it doesn't mean we all have to rigidly adhere to them in the future.

Old 04-07-2011, 10:32   #98
Give, give, give member

Quote:
I've posted before, the last time H.B.C. was Labour run I didn't live here. Although I visited often, and maintained close ties and an interest in the place I grew up.

The Labour party of today is nothing like the party of old. Just as the Conservative party isn't.

From my experience of living in places run by variously controlled councils, I've not found any particular party better than any other.

Liverpool - Labour, atrocious.
Lambeth - Labour, appalling.
Wandsworth - Conservative, marvellous.
Glasgow - Labour, fantastic.

Just because something was bad in the past doesn't necessarily mean history will repeat itself.

Especially because there's been such a massive political shift in various parties from what they once were.

Old 04-07-2011, 10:32   #99
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Yeah, you're just so boring, now that you no longer speak your mind on here, and just trot out the same old party line.

Yada, yada, yada.

I do so wish you were able to post what you actually want to.

I know, all I've published since the election is Labour, Labour, Labour.

What am I, a man or a mouth?

I miss the old days.

Having discussions with Cabinet members about how to improve things is so depressingly productive.

Old 04-07-2011, 10:38   #100
Give, give, give member

Quote:
'The grapevine', what a load of old twaddle. Do yourself a favour, call a spade a spade. If you mean that there has been a cull of staff then just ask your little grape to do a bit of research further along the vine. There's been a cull of wasteful spending, that's all.

Just ask your little grape how it was expected that £2m could be promised to the residents of Woodnook and the same £2m could also be intended for Township Regeneration proposals?

You're an intelligent man, wake up and take off the Tory blinkers. I'm a Labour Councillor and I'm not blind to Labour's faults in the past, it doesn't mean we all have to rigidly adhere to them in the future.
Perhaps the looking like 'the hen coop, after the fox has been in', refers to the wrappings off the sandwiches councillors bring in.

Now that the butties are no longer delivered daily, on silver platters from Hurn's.

Old 04-07-2011, 10:42   #101
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Perhaps the looking like 'the hen coop, after the fox has been in', refers to the wrappings off the sandwiches councillors bring in.

Now that the butties are no longer delivered daily, on silver platters from Hurn's.

I miss those butties, they were truly delicious. It seems I'll just have to go and buy them from Hurn's now like every other prole.

There isn't even a comely serf to peel my grapes anymore.

Miles is such a monster.

Old 04-07-2011, 10:55   #102
Give, give, give member

Quote:
I miss those butties, they were truly delicious. It seems I'll just have to go and buy them from Hurn's now like every other prole.

There isn't even a comely serf to peel my grapes anymore.

Miles is such a monster.
You need to get your name down for one of those specially trained assistance dogs.

As well as helping the blind to cross the road, and alert the deaf when the phone rings, they also train poodles.

As well as doing everything you ever ask of them, they can also be trained to peel a grape for you.

Old 04-07-2011, 11:01   #103
Common Sense Member

Quote:
You need to get your name down for one of those specially trained assistance dogs.

As well as helping the blind to cross the road, and alert the deaf when the phone rings, they also train poodles.

As well as doing everything you ever ask of them, they can also be trained to peel a grape for you.

I know of them but as I understand it they go muckraking when their master is away.

I don't fancy having to clean up my act just because I wouldn't get my hands dirty in the first place.

I'll peel my own grapes.

Old 04-07-2011, 11:07   #104
Give, give, give member

Quote:
I'll peel my own
Fair enough.

It takes all sorts.

Last edited by garinda; 04-07-2011 at 11:10.
Old 04-07-2011, 11:22   #105
Beacon of light

Quote:
I've posted before, the last time H.B.C. was Labour run I didn't live here. Although I visited often, and maintained close ties and an interest in the place I grew up.

The Labour party of today is nothing like the party of old. Just as the Conservative party isn't.

From my experience of living in places run by variously controlled councils, I've not found any particular party better than any other.

Liverpool - Labour, atrocious.
Lambeth - Labour, appalling.
Wandsworth - Conservative, marvellous.
Glasgow - Labour, fantastic.

Just because something was bad in the past doesn't necessarily mean history will repeat itself.

Especially because there's been such a massive political shift in various parties from what they once were.

This is a great post.(would give you Karma, but I have to spread it around a bit first) It tells it like it is.
Political allegiances have no place in the delivery and provision of local services.
I wish that all of the elected councillors(regardless of the flag they were elected under) could use their collective intellect/skills/abilities to make the borough a better place to live....instead of using their energy in in-fighting, name calling, etcetera. It takes away the dignity and respect that the electorate may have held for that person, when you hear of the childish behaviour and name calling.
Party politics needs to be removed from local elections.
If this were to happen then there would be far more real progress made.

Last edited by Margaret Pilkington; 04-07-2011 at 11:25.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..