Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2008, 10:59   #16
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: I wonder what the outcome was????

Quote:
Originally Posted by polly View Post
I am old enough to remember life in Britain in the 60's and 70's. then men regularly ignored women and shook hands with the 'head of the household' eg the male.
It took the 1976 Sex Equality Act and lots of social changes, for women to be offered the opportunity to shake hands with men, so I see this attitude as being a great set back for women. Let this carry on and we will find ourselves back in the kitchen and by the way in a minority in the police force . I also remember when 'WPC's' did only the paper work and call outs involving children.God forbid we go back to that.
Did anyone else notice in the article that the mentioned that this women was a 'non asian Muslim' I think the key to the incident lies there. Converts always interpret a religion more zealously than thos born to the same religion.
As for shaking hands with a barrister, who would want to? Well ok maybe their bank manager!
Sorry polly but what you described was in Dickensian times.

In the Victorian era men would shake the gloved hand of a lady after being introduced to her or rather to take the hand a plant a gentle kiss on it, usually with a comment of “your servant”.

Being brought up in the forties and fifties as I was, I was taught to shake hands when introduced to someone, regardless of their sex. It was far better than having some hag slobber all over me, with cold sores and all.
Old 02-07-2008, 11:04   #17
Apprentice Geriatric

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Naughty, naughty JB if we all had to be word perfect on here there wouldn't be to many people posting, I know I'd be knackered
Not really jaysay. If blazey intends to make it in the legal world, accuracy in the written and oral word is essential.

In any case I wasn’t nasty about it.
Old 02-07-2008, 15:39   #18

Re: I wonder what the outcome was????

To get back to the original post I would imagine a long and expensive Court Case will follow with the officer saying she should be Chief Constable etc etc
wadey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 16:02   #19
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadey View Post
To get back to the original post I would imagine a long and expensive Court Case will follow with the officer saying she should be Chief Constable etc etc
What you mean wadey she will be Chief Constable by now won't she
Old 02-07-2008, 16:15   #20
God Member

Get the woman sacked I say, and no I dont mean blazey. lol
Old 02-07-2008, 16:15   #21
Loz

Agree with JB when in rome and all that.
Why do a job that will put you in contact with men on a daily basis?
Ridiculous IMO.
Old 02-07-2008, 17:44   #22
Passed away 25-11-09

It concerns me that this woman wears a hijab on duty. Not only is she not conforming to the uniform, and how many non-muslims get away with that, but this item could, surely, be used harmfully towards her. Policemen wear clip-on ties so that they can't be used to throttle them and a headscarf could make a very good noose. Respect for Faiths is all very good but it's becoming farcical. If you join the British police, nominally a secular organisation, you should be required to accept and conform to all the aspects of being a British police officer.
Old 02-07-2008, 17:53   #23
God Member

Seems like you guys are getting into the "reasonable accomodation" debate .... In all parts of Canada, particularly Quebec, there has been an ongoing debate about how far Canadians should go in accomodating immigrants ... what seems to have happened is that the debate has narrowed to "how far should we go to accomodate muslims" because they seem to be the only group that wants to stay in Canada, and yet have special privileges because they are muslim. All other groups seem more than happy to fit in to traditional Canadian values (altho' there is, obviously, some debate as to what these values are). Quebecers are honest and straightforward enough to state openly that is it certain muslims who are being a real pain in the butt. Bottom line is: Canada will be reasonable in accomodating new Canadians, the only group that deserves special treatment are First Nations people, who were here before the rest of us anyway. Ask most Canadians about the special treatment muslims are demanding (demanding, not asking for) and they will say something like "fit in, or go the hell home."

I like the sentiment expressed on a bumper sticker on an American tourist's car: "America: if your heart isn't in it, get your ass out of it."
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 17:59   #24
Apprentice Geriatric

Quote:
Originally Posted by West Ender View Post
It concerns me that this woman wears a hijab on duty. Not only is she not conforming to the uniform, and how many non-muslims get away with that, but this item could, surely, be used harmfully towards her. Policemen wear clip-on ties so that they can't be used to throttle them and a headscarf could make a very good noose. Respect for Faiths is all very good but it's becoming farcical. If you join the British police, nominally a secular organisation, you should be required to accept and conform to all the aspects of being a British police officer.
Sikhs.
Old 02-07-2008, 18:01   #25
Apprentice Geriatric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
Seems like you guys are getting into the "reasonable accomodation" debate .... In all parts of Canada, particularly Quebec, there has been an ongoing debate about how far Canadians should go in accomodating immigrants ... what seems to have happened is that the debate has narrowed to "how far should we go to accomodate muslims" because they seem to be the only group that wants to stay in Canada, and yet have special privileges because they are muslim. All other groups seem more than happy to fit in to traditional Canadian values (altho' there is, obviously, some debate as to what these values are). Quebecers are honest and straightforward enough to state openly that is it certain muslims who are being a real pain in the butt. Bottom line is: Canada will be reasonable in accomodating new Canadians, the only group that deserves special treatment are First Nations people, who were here before the rest of us anyway. Ask most Canadians about the special treatment muslims are demanding (demanding, not asking for) and they will say something like "fit in, or go the hell home."

I like the sentiment expressed on a bumper sticker on an American tourist's car: "America: if your heart isn't in it, get your ass out of it."
Great sticker!

United Kingdom: if your heart isn't in it, get your ass out of it.
Old 02-07-2008, 18:12   #26
Passed away 25-11-09

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambutty View Post
Sikhs.

I don't agree with that divergeance from standard uniform either but at least a Sikh turban can act as a helmet and can be knocked off the head, not pulled against the throat.
Old 02-07-2008, 21:07   #27
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

as was said by others, sod all the waffle. WHEN IN ROME.
Old 02-07-2008, 21:55   #28
Apprentice Geriatric

Quote:
Originally Posted by West Ender View Post
I don't agree with that divergeance from standard uniform either but at least a Sikh turban can act as a helmet and can be knocked off the head, not pulled against the throat.
I never said that it was right that a Sikh policeman wears his turban. I was just answering your question. Although I seem to recall from the darkest reaches of my ageing brain cell that the turban is reinforced in some way to act as a helmet. Maybe I just dreamed it or maybe it was just in India?

However the point is that the precedence has already been established with the Sikhs so the police had to allow a Muslim policewoman to wear the hijab on duty and the hijab now constitutes part of the uniform.

This looks like yet another case of where the powers that be didn’t think things through when pandering to the religious whims of immigrants.

I wonder what would happen if a Jewish man joined the police force? Would he be allowed to wear the “yamulke” or “kippah” as it is more popularly known these days?
Old 02-07-2008, 22:17   #29
God Member

Sikhs who join the RCMP are allowed to wear turbans .... s'ok with me 'cause Sikhs don't bitch and whine ... they come here to make a life for themselves and their families. They like Canada the way it is, and don't try to change it.
Old 02-07-2008, 22:20   #30
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambutty View Post
I never said that it was right that a Sikh policeman wears his turban. I was just answering your question. Although I seem to recall from the darkest reaches of my ageing brain cell that the turban is reinforced in some way to act as a helmet. Maybe I just dreamed it or maybe it was just in India?

However the point is that the precedence has already been established with the Sikhs so the police had to allow a Muslim policewoman to wear the hijab on duty and the hijab now constitutes part of the uniform.

This looks like yet another case of where the powers that be didn’t think things through when pandering to the religious whims of immigrants.

I wonder what would happen if a Jewish man joined the police force? Would he be allowed to wear the “yamulke” or “kippah” as it is more popularly known these days?
Funny you should mention jews ... there was one hockey player in the minor leagues in Quebec who wanted the Friday and Saturday fixtures moved because they conflicted with the Sabbath ... it seems he was laughed into silence by everyone, even his fellow jews.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..