Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 15-03-2008, 08:08   #1

Thumbs down If This Happened To A Non-Immigrant English Person..

Merseyside asylum seeker’s £25,000 benefits fraud
Mar 11 2008 by Luke Traynor, Liverpool Echo

AN IRANIAN asylum seeker who falsely claimed £25,000 of benefits has been ordered to pay back £1.

Dishonest Massoud Montazery, 29, claimed money from the state even though he had £500,000 in a separate bank account.

Yesterday, a Proceeds of Crime application took place at Liverpool crown court for him to pay back his ill-gotten gains.

But as Montazery had no recoverable assets, the confiscation order of £24,973.67 could not proceed.

Instead, he was told the pay back a nominal fee of just £1.

The bizarre ruling is expected to infuriate taxpayers who are now bearing the brunt of the Iranian’s benefit pinching.

Montazery, from St Mary’s Road, Walton, was given thousands of pounds which paid for his Liverpool home, gas, electricity, water and council tax.

He was caught in November 2005 after investigators saw a BMW and an X-type Jaguar outside his house.

His comfortable lifestyle was exposed which revealed designer clothes, a fur coat for his wife and a luxury new carpet.

He made repeated denials to immigration officials about having a bank account, but his considerable finances and job at a baby equipment firm in Liverpool was soon revealed.

He admitted two counts of making false statements to obtain benefits at court and received a suspended nine-month jail term, 100 hours’ unpaid work and a two-year supervision order.

The question of Montazery’s likely deportation back to Iran appeared to move a step closer yesterday.

It is thought he has exhausted all avenues of appeal and the process to press for deportation continues.

A date has yet to be fixed but Montazery could be ordered to leave within two months.

He had claimed that he was being pursued by the Iranian authorities.
Old 15-03-2008, 08:13   #2
God Member

Re: If This Happened To A Non-Immigrant English Person..

Don't worry about it, I'll pay extra tax next year to help make up for the losses incurred by the greedy bastard and our inept government departments
Old 15-03-2008, 08:24   #3
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
Don't worry about it, I'll pay extra tax next year to help make up for the losses incurred by the greedy bastard and our inept government departments
good on you LD if there was more citizens like
yourself we could maintain the status quo and support these
worthy immigrates
or lets just ship them back ASAP

like i've never been gone
beechy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2008, 08:33   #4
God Member

In some ways you can't blame people for cheating the system when they know they will get away with it. Lets face it the lack of morals grows on a daily basis, not be long before the education secretary puts it on the school cirriculum. I get more annoyed at how easy we make it for anyone, and that includes our own.
Old 15-03-2008, 08:59   #5
Resting in Peace

I think like Jae says in the original post that if that had have been joe blogs who's lived in say Ossy all his life, he would have had to pay all the money back and done serious jail time in the bargin. Why is it we let these people, who as it says are seeking asylum in our country, get away with it. we're supposedly saving these people from persecution and all they do is continually kick us in the b******s, I for one am sick to the back teeth of it.
Old 15-03-2008, 09:00   #6
God Member

If more people reported fraud when they see it, it would improve the detection rate.
I understand that some people fear that the fraudster will harass them for telling, but now the fraud can be reported anonymously via the web, by using this online form
https://secure.dwp.gov.uk/benefitfraud/

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2008, 09:24   #7
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
If more people reported fraud when they see it, it would improve the detection rate.
I understand that some people fear that the fraudster will harass them for telling, but now the fraud can be reported anonymously via the web, by using this online form
https://secure.dwp.gov.uk/benefitfraud/
They get alerted when they're going to be inspected though and hide the evidence.

Obviously this guy is either a bit slow on the uptake or HE wasn't alerted at all, which would make me want to think that someone somewhere wasn't quite playing by the rulebook either.
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2008, 11:16   #8
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazey View Post
They get alerted when they're going to be inspected though and hide the evidence.

Obviously this guy is either a bit slow on the uptake or HE wasn't alerted at all, which would make me want to think that someone somewhere wasn't quite playing by the rulebook either.
They don't get alerted !!
Who on Earth told you that rubbish?

The facts about how they operate are not even revealed to their fellow civil servants. Since they became a separate Government Agency of their own Fraud Agency officers have developed professionalism.

Old 15-03-2008, 11:33   #9
Loz

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazey View Post

Why do students think they know it all?
What would the point be of having an anonymous benefits fraud line if the person you were reporting was alerted to the fact that they were going to be investigated?
I don't dislike you but please think through what you are going to type before you post.
You always seem to get shot down in flames.
Old 15-03-2008, 11:34   #10
Give, give, give member

No recoverable assets?

What about the Jag and the BMW?

Plus, I'd rip his new carpets up, and have the fur coat of his wife's back, before booting his arse back to Iran.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2008, 11:47   #11
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Why bother reporting it when they do nothing to the fraudsters when they catch them?
Old 15-03-2008, 11:53   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
No recoverable assets?

What about the Jag and the BMW?

Plus, I'd rip his new carpets up, and have the fur coat of his wife's back, before booting his arse back to Iran.
Old 15-03-2008, 12:19   #13
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loz View Post
Why do students think they know it all?
What would the point be of having an anonymous benefits fraud line if the person you were reporting was alerted to the fact that they were going to be investigated?
I don't dislike you but please think through what you are going to type before you post.
You always seem to get shot down in flames.
Thats why they're students loz, well some of them. and we don't shoot her down in flames, its just in a blaze
Old 15-03-2008, 12:38   #14
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Why bother reporting it when they do nothing to the fraudsters when they catch them?
Courts can't always hand out penalties we think are deserved.
Sometimes the Fraud Agency decide on no prosecution but get the money back.

If fraud was reported earlier there would be less money handed to fraudsters - less to recover

and there would be more money for those who are entitled to it

When you don't report it you are in effect robbing yourself whether you pay the taxes that fund it, or get the benefits.

Old 15-03-2008, 13:01   #15
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
They don't get alerted !!
Who on Earth told you that rubbish?

The facts about how they operate are not even revealed to their fellow civil servants. Since they became a separate Government Agency of their own Fraud Agency officers have developed professionalism.
what do you know Margaret? ya only worked fer em all yer natural,Blazey is at uni.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..