Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2006, 10:48   #1
Resting in Peace

Exclamation If Wesser visits to your door

Just letting you ALL know that there are 4 or 5 young people working for a company called
Wesser
and they are asking people to sign up to make donations via Direct Debit and giving information about joining if any one is intrested.

These people carry ID and are wearing the St John logo on their tops they are acting on behalf of St John Ambulance in trying to gain a steady income so that St John Ambulance can continue to provide and hopefully increase the level of care and membership numbers. They will be in this area for about 3 weeks.

This door-to-door method was last used 3 years ago and had some good results.

They are not asking for money or cheques at the door!!!!

I have also been informed that there is a person walking round in a St John uniform and targeting the older folks and asking them to JOIN St John. It has been reported to the Police. If this person is seen please DO NOT LET THEM IN and ring the Police.

If anyone has a complaint about these people you can either email me [email protected] or contact County HQ on [email protected] or you can ring them on 01772 252239. Please make sure that you have street, date and time of visit. If you want to check if the caller is from Wesser CHQ have a list of ALL members working in this area.

Last edited by Ber999T; 12-08-2006 at 17:09. Reason: A bit more info
Ber999T is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 09-08-2006, 17:50   #2
BOB

Re: If Wesser visits to your door

yes the guys have just been to my house (BAXENDEN) nice enought people but good sales men had to tell him no 4 times
BOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 18:48   #3
God Member

So how much of their donation actually gets to SJA and how much pays for 'admin' including these guys wages?

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 21:43   #4
Resting in Peace

Not to sure entwisi but last I heard it was a small percentage but as they where doing this all over the country I suppose it could have been quite a good earner for the Wesser company. Think that they do the work for 5 years and then the deal runs out and if we want them back we have to do new contract with the company but all of that is sorted out at National HQ.

Ok Bob at least you were pre warned of the vist I guess.
Old 09-08-2006, 22:03   #5

I had the same sort of group a couple of weeks ago collecting on behalf of the Deaf. It's a good idea but I refuse to give my bank details to anyone on my doorstep or anywhere else for that matter. There might not be much in it, but what there is, is mine. I'm not giving anyone access to it as there is the risk they could take more than what is agreed
Debbie J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 22:07   #6
Resting in Peace

Debbie that is a vaild point however if anyone wanted to set up a DD (not just for SJA) they could take the charities details and then contact the charity direct in order to set up payments.
Old 12-08-2006, 17:10   #7
Resting in Peace

I have just post in opening post more information about how to complain or check on the callers.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..