Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 31-07-2006, 19:45   #1

how sick were you when you were growing up?

How sick were you growing up....what horrible foul tasting stuff where you given?

When I was a kid.....we were force fed things to keep us well.....like halibut liver oil capsules and olive oil and raspberry vinegar.......but the one thing I hated most when I did get sick was........FENNINGS FEVER CURE.....you could not drink this concoction but only sip it......and just as well........dad would say.....get tha down thee lad ,tha,ll feel much better......as I attempted to sip the evil stuff through a screwed up face...has it been banned yet?.....
talentedbutslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 31-07-2006, 21:04   #2
God Member

Yep , have to agree the stuff tasted foul , but it worked ......... the other stuff was Beechams powders, remember gagging everytime I had one tipped down my throat , for some unknown reason they were allways taken "dry" in our house followed by a swig of water, never mixed with water .
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2006, 21:22   #3
God Member

Re: how sick were you when you were growing up?

CAught all the usual stuff and suffered the cures but one side effect of all them bugs is as I got older I was never really ill apart from the odd sniffle. Still if I have a sniffle take dry beechems or Askit powders just find it easier.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2006, 21:32   #4
Passed away 25-11-09

I'm one of those weird people who like cod liver oil. We were forced-fed with a spoonful every day when I was in the nursery class at school, circa 1947, and I loved it. I also loved cod liver oil and malt, thick gloopy stuff that my mother used to shove down me in the hope of "building me up".

Being a small, skinny child I was referred to the clinic at age 4 as I was considered "underweight" (plump children were thought to be desirable in those early-NHS days). Having established that I wasn't being systematically starved by my parents the medics put me on iron tablets, which was crazy as I was as fit as a flea, so I learned at a very early age to swallow pills whole. I can still down anything up to the size of a marble, 2 at once, without gagging.

I regarded the odd dose of Syrup of Figs as a treat but I agree Fennings Fever Cure was nauseating. It wasn't given to me often, I'm happy to say.
Old 31-07-2006, 21:53   #5
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack
Yep , have to agree the stuff tasted foul , but it worked ......... the other stuff was Beechams powders, remember gagging everytime I had one tipped down my throat , for some unknown reason they were allways taken "dry" in our house followed by a swig of water, never mixed with water .
My mum was obviously kind then, put on a spoon mixed with raspberry jam and helped 'make the medicine go down' tral la la.

Cod liver oil tablets West Ender, yes, I loved them too, used to bite into them... yummy .. now reports conflicting, but last was good.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2006, 22:04   #6
Resting in peace

We used to get fennings for misbehaveing,wonder if it would work on today
kids?
Ianto.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2006, 22:32   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ianto.W.
kids?
how many days a week was that then?...........
Old 31-07-2006, 22:39   #8
white rabbits

I dont know why ,but i loved fenninngs fever cure,, we also had olive oil and raspberry vinnigar,,,,,,and syrup mixed with butter for colds,, oh and dont forget the champhorated oil...rubbed on your chest for bed,,,
Old 31-07-2006, 22:41   #9
white rabbits

we were also given sulpher tablets,,, i think that was for scratching,,,
Old 31-07-2006, 22:43   #10
Resting in peace

Talentedbutsllow, m-------m at least i didnt get transported for it chin chin.
Ianto.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2006, 22:48   #11
Accy Goddess

Apparently I used to swig cod liver oil out of the bottle. Mum's friend told her that it's no wonder I was fat.
Now just the thought makes me shudder. Ewww Yuk!
ANNE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2006, 22:53   #12
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ianto.W.
kids?
Nope they would scream its parental cruelty.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

Old 31-07-2006, 23:54   #13
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

agree westender you liked codliver oil= your wierd lol hated the stuff but the thing i hated most was meths had to try it,just to see what it was like! it was the most disgusting/nauseating thing i ever had, now that did make me sick.
Old 01-08-2006, 00:02   #14
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman
agree westender you liked codliver oil= your wierd lol hated the stuff but the thing i hated most was meths had to try it,just to see what it was like! it was the most disgusting/nauseating thing i ever had, now that did make me sick.
Meths crickey Cashy that could go down as torture. If you wanted to be sick sour milk would have been better.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

Old 01-08-2006, 00:52   #15

not content with giving me fennings.........mum used to rub vicks all over my chest...........and if that didn,t work........the dreaded goose grease came out and was rubbed all over you........gawd it stunk..........

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..