Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2006, 22:16   #1
Senior Member+

Do I Look Stupid ? I think Not ....

Earlier today i went to a local big garage for a free tyre pressure check. I knew one of my tyres was down a bit. Not only did the lad correct the tyre pressure but also went onto tell me i needed 4 new tyres pretty urgently. He tried to give me all the bull about tyre thread depth, the walls splitting etc, etc.
Now its only been 3 months since i was involved in a minor RTA and my car and tyres was thoroughly checked and was told the tyres was in excellent order. Ive only done a few hundread miles on them at the most since the accident.

The lad at the garage had sewn the seeds of doubt about my tyres, but the vehicle check from the RTA was giving me niggles. So off i went to Greenbank police station and asked for a traffic officer to come out and inspect my tyres. They was only to happy to oblige and told me after they inspected all 4 tyres that the lad at the garage had told me the biggest pile of crap they had heard this century.

Some garages must think us women are stupid when it comes to car related items.

Not naming the garage .... but its not too far away from ASDA / Glyn Webb.
jimmi5bellies is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 09-08-2006, 22:31   #2
God Member

Re: Do I Look Stupid ? I think Not ....

As they say "if in doubt ask." At least you know that they are legal and who better to answer than a police officer.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 22:38   #3
Senior Member+

Hi spuggie

Makes you wonder though just how many have been told they need new when they dont and how many have been conned ?
Old 09-08-2006, 22:41   #4
God Member

I should think a few and it will be the senior citizen and women (not being ageist or sexist) as they are usually deemed as "easy" targets sadly. More should do what you did Jimmi so that they arent ripped off. If you check with the police and they say yes then have them done.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 22:44   #5
Member.

It’s a disgrace that unscrupulous traders get away with it. Most people who would have doubts would seek the advice of a professional garage; you should be able to trust what they’re saying without fear of being taken advantage of.

Time to name and shame I would say………

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 22:45   #6
Senior Member+

I wasnt given any quotes on paper to back myself up so it would be my word against theres if you know what i mean. I was telling my friend about it earlier on tonight and he said he has been in the gargae when hes giving out the bullcrap about tyres, he says he says it to most of the customers and that they have targets to reach each month.
Old 09-08-2006, 22:47   #7
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug
It’s a disgrace that unscrupulous traders get away with it. Most people who would have doubts would seek the advice of a professional garage; you should be able to trust what they’re saying without fear of being taken advantage of.

Time to name and shame I would say………
Thats almost word for word what the police officer said to me. He asked which garage it was so i told him
Old 09-08-2006, 22:48   #8
I am Banned

Blaming disgrace & its not only with women drivers, i think certainly when mot time & it fails i bet a lot more get ripped off without knowing till they get the bill, its astounding what people can be ripped off for after watching rogue traders........mmmmmmm report it to them now theres an idea - proper name & shamed then hehehehehehe
accymel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 22:52   #9
Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmi5bellies
Thats almost word for word what the police officer said to me. He asked which garage it was so i told him
Good, I think you did right. Maybe he’ll have a chat with the local trading standards officer and something might get sorted.

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 23:49   #10
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

well done jimmie5bellies, not many would have the common sense to ask the police to check, this is nothing short of deception and i agree with doug name the BUGGARS.
Old 10-08-2006, 05:23   #11
God Member

Jimmi, You should name them purely because there are a couple of garages in that area and it would be wrong for others to be tarred with this brush.

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 06:24   #12
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Romp's car passed it's MOT yesterday with an advise on the front tyres getting worn. They have about 4mm left on them, if anything the rear tyres need changing not the fronts, not because of tread depth but overall condition of side walls due to age not wear.
Old 10-08-2006, 08:34   #13

Closer to McD's I suspect but I could be wrong - theyre well known for it amongst experienced Accy drivers.

One of my mates had his MOT done, at a reputable garage (not that s**t hole), and was told that his exhaust was on its way and would probably need replacing within 3 months.

So on his way home from picking up his car from MOT he thinks, - call in a few places and get quote for new exhaust, calls in at the so called garage for quote which they gave him (average price!) but then it was "oh by the way, have you noticed 2 of your tyres are very worn, dangerously close to, if not below the legal limit" "can we give you a price for replacing, you shouldn't drive any further on them today"

Fuming - mate picks up MOT certificate and job sheet from front seat of car and says "well they were fine 10 mins ago" and gives him some verbal grief which I shall not repeat.

Beware folks - go to places you can trust and/or ask for recommendations off family/friends or Accyweb
mickmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 10:00   #14
Senior Member+

The garage concerned is .......

ATS
Old 10-08-2006, 10:16   #15

Well - T'other on near McD#s is just as bad
mickmc is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..