Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 23-06-2005, 13:40   #1
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Indian call centre 'fraud' probe

I've already admitted in another thread that I am the one that took Park 381's 800 ackers, but you've got to admit the bloke that did this could have made himself alot more money than he did, temptation is out there, all you have to do is give in to it:-

Indian call centre 'fraud' probe

Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 23-06-2005, 14:02   #2

Re: Indian call centre 'fraud' probe

Here's another one worth reading it's bad enough private business out-sourcing the way they do but not these people as well:-

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4121840.stm
Old 23-06-2005, 14:19   #3
Resting in Peace

Why is it that people that have just done something wrong (nick 800 ackers ) try to change the subject and take your mind off what they have done .?
i will sell his personal details for 500 ackers or to the highest bidder

Last edited by Mick; 23-06-2005 at 14:23.
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2005, 14:26   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick
Why is it that people that have just done something wrong (nick 800 ackers ) try to change the subject and take your mind off what they have done .?
My dear ex friend Mick, if I had been trying to take peoples minds off the fact that I am a bigger Tealeaf than 'erm Tealeaf then I wouldn't have bragged about it at the beginning of this thread, now would I?

P.S. What a rip off! I know my personal details they aren't worth five ackers never mind five hundred.

Last edited by Less; 23-06-2005 at 14:30.
Old 23-06-2005, 14:29   #5
Resting in Peace

First bid of 300 ackers has just come in thankyou
Old 23-06-2005, 14:33   #6
Roy
Administrator

To be honest I bet this goes on a lot more in UK call centres. More proof here that the internet is a much safer medium for banking than telephones!!

Why not outsource everything abroad anyway? We've allready outsourced the population! Outsourcing the council would definately be a good plan. Heck, why not just outsource the whole government..
Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2005, 14:33   #7
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less

P.S. What a rip off! I know my personal details they aren't worth five ackers never mind five hundred.
less keep quiet we are shareing these ackers but dont tell everyone whoever wins we can make something up for them .shhhhhhhhhhh
Old 23-06-2005, 14:42   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy
To be honest I bet this goes on a lot more in UK call centres. More proof here that the internet is a much safer medium for banking than telephones!!

Why not outsource everything abroad anyway? We've allready outsourced the population! Outsourcing the council would definately be a good plan. Heck, why not just outsource the whole government..
Tsk! these foreigners sticking their noses in where they are not wanted!
next thing you know they'll be wanting to come and spend their holidays over here!

Old 23-06-2005, 15:07   #9
I am Banned

what do you expect to happen when you give uk jobs to forighners

no offence but heres a few reasons why they would sell our details

we are faceless victims sat in another country

they are paid a fraction of what we would be paid and probaby need the extra money

uk companies should employ uk people its as simple as that and although this sort of thing may well happen in the uk it would be easier to prosecute and catch them
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2005, 15:31   #10
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

well said chav and if anyone thinks thats being racist they should get real.
Old 23-06-2005, 18:51   #11
I am Band

Thumbs down Re: Indian call centre 'fraud' probe

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick
Shame on you Michael! I view this as a blatent abuse of power.

Any ramblings, meanderings, thoughts or musings are mine and mine alone. Any opinions expressed are Lettie's!
Sparkologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2005, 21:29   #12
I am Banned

if anyone would like to pm me their bank details i would be greatfull

better to be robbed british

never mind keeping uk jobs in the uk , keep uk crime in the uk lol
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2005, 07:02   #13
God Member

I work in IT at one of the Big 4 banks(I used to work for them but was outsourced to a global IT shop). However I can tell you that things like passcodes are NOT available in clear to anyone including call centre ops, us techies or even the CEO himself. The passcode is generated by the mainframe and stored encrypted. When you type in your passcode on an ATM the actual keypad itself encrypts the code you enter and sends it to the mainframe. At no point is it available in clear text. The same with internet banking. your passcode is encrypted using SSL and at no point is decrypted outside the mainframe.

I sat with one of our mainframe guys and asked him to show me my data. We could see my transaction list and with some chasing round many database tables got a list of my other accounts. However without a form of authorisation we could not change anything.

Having also worked in the call centre for this bank I know what happens there. Again the operatives do not see your passcode details they get prompted for the required data and enter it in a screen similar to internet banking. About the worst they could do would be to keep your session open after you have gone and transfer money then. However ALL calls are recorded and you would only have to ask for a copy of that days call to prove you did not ask for those transactions. The Bank would have to refund you immediately+ any charges incurred(And I persoanlly would be asking for compensation for stress/inconvienience)

Ian
entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2005, 07:08   #14
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkologist
Shame on you Michael! I view this as a blatent abuse of power.
Dear Mr Sparkologist if you had read what i put in another post it says it will be madeup details
i would never give genuine details out .
Old 24-06-2005, 07:30   #15
Resident Waffler

The second one about outsourcing the records is a bit iffy. I worked on the "1881 project" which involved the 1881 census. We were taking the original handwritten records and transferring them all to computer where they were indexed and then released on microfiche in a typewritten form along with the indexes.

It was a long involved process and deciphering the old handwriting was quite a challenge as anyone who has done genealogy will understand. Not to mention the ink blots and the moth eaten pages or the bits of mold and damp. None of it was ever simply left up to one person though. It was independantly checked and re-checked. The point being that what one person sees under a blob may differ from what another person sees. In the end if it couldn't be agreed upon a note had to be made to refer people to the original record for their own confirmation.

If I found it difficult as an English person to read English names written by English people in English handwriting how much more difficult is it going to be for an Indian person to do it? I wouldn't like to try to do the same with old Indian records written in Hindi or whatever. This isn't being racist. This is being logical. I can forsee a lot of mistakes being made.

Mistakes already exist in a lot of original records and it's a challenge deciphering them sometimes. For instance I have an ancestor whose name was Porter (Chrsitian name) and he was a milliner. (In those days the enumerator himself used to do the writing as many people couldn't read and write) On the census they have him down as Peter and occupation porter! Don't assume that official records like the births marriages and deaths will be easier to read than a census because some of them are absolutely horrendous and a lot of page corners are the worst where people have handled them and smudged the ink or damaged the paper so much that it becomes almost illegible.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..