Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2005, 10:04   #1
Give, give, give member

Insurance.

Just reading in other threads how in some cases that the law can be an ass, and that the powers that be need to update some of our laws, reminded me how every week, reading the Observer I get infuriated,[no my blood doesn't boil.]

Why are the fines for not having car insurance less than the cost of legally insuring a car?

I'd had a clean license for twenty two years, and had driven my parents cars when I was back home. When I bought my first car last year this wasn't taken into consideration, and I was given quotes ranging from £500-£1,000.

Most of the drivers that appear in the newspaper get fined around £200, surely not a great deterrent, or an encouragement for drivers to get properly insured.

Anyone unlucky enough to have had dealings with an uninsured driver will I'm sure agree.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 11-08-2005, 10:09   #2
God Member

Re: Insurance.

When I consider how much I pay out to insure Julie and my vehicles its over £1500 a year. I would have to get stopped 8 times(once every 6 weeks!) to be out of pocket.

What annoys me is that a month or so ago I got a speeding ticket from a roadside copper with laser gun. I was taking my bike for its MOT as it had been off the road for the winter. It had NO MOT, TAX and for all he knew insurance. I was doing 37 in a 30 zone at 7:45 on a sat morning. I didn't see another vehicle for my whole journey. Did he even attempt to stop me and tell me the error of my ways? Did I get a producer with my NIP? Nope! So quite simply they don't care about whether I was driving illegally (I could even have been over the limit from teh night before but he wouldn't have known)

Ian
entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 10:20   #3
Give, give, give member

Latest news this week is that there is no evidence that speed cameras actually lessen the chance of accidents.

Like you say they just see it as a way to make money from fines, and don't really care about the legal status of the driver/rider.

Old 11-08-2005, 11:35   #4
God Member

I think if the fines from these cameras were going to something constructive I don't think we would have as much of an issue with them. Like I read in paper about the idea of a percentage going towards funding the air ambulance. As they do get called to some car accidents surely this would be a sensible use of money raised from fines.

I do get frustrated when I read the kind of fines people get for no insurance etc... and banning them doesn't work as most of them are uninsured because they are already banned!!!!

I know this may come as a shock but believe it or not all views I may air on here are my own work!!!!!
harwood red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 11:45   #5
God Member

The deterrent against no insurance is the cost to you if you have an accident.. your car and there car or there wall or god forbid you hit a person and not insured. Then you would realise the insurance cost is cheap in comparison..

I have been fully insured all my adult life while driving.... But admit when I was a teeneager and really wanted a car... the insurance was a stoper and so would......work my way around it...... so to speak..... but then again I did a lot of silly things as a teenager.... hands up who didnt....
Old 11-08-2005, 12:23   #6
God Member

yeah but alot of these uninsured drivers are driving cars that wouldn't even be classed as roadworthy, so prob wouldn't get through MOT. As for damage to other cars, property and as you said god forbid people being a deterrent.... it obviously isn't much of a deterrent!

I know this may come as a shock but believe it or not all views I may air on here are my own work!!!!!
harwood red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 15:22   #7
God Member

Theres no money for the police in uninsured drivers, tax dodgers, MOT missers its all in speed cameras so no prizes for guessing the police priority.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 15:34   #8
Resting in Peace

Please be aware that some of the newer cam in use have direct contact with DVLA and if patrols are being used to stop then by the time you have been stopped they will know that 1 you are the reg keeper 2 if vehicle insured 3 if mot up-to-date 4 if you are allowed to drive 5 if there are any out standing fines/tickets etc.
Ber999T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 15:51   #9
God Member

Oh dear the police might have to do the job they are paid for.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 16:07   #10
God Member

That is of course if they can see the number plate. Bikes do not have a forward facing plate. If he had been bothered to chase my reg number through he would have seen no TAX. The bike was insured which is fine but as they are only just bringing the MOT DB online it wouldn't have shown up there either. Why then did I not get asked to prove I was on my way to the MOT?
Old 11-08-2005, 16:45   #11
Resting in peace

My insurance is through the roof on an aged car, bought for £1,500. I am 58, have never had an accident I have caused, and have a clean licence. I can't find my old insurance documents, so I can't prove my previous no claims bonus. SO - my insurance this year is going to be over one-third of the value of the car.

The one and only time, in many years of driving, that I did have an accident, it was an idiot on the M1 who ran into the back of me in full daylight. He caused £1,200-worth of damage to my car and - GUESS WHAT - THE B****** WASN'T INSURED!!! I had the choice of sueing him, and perhaps getting a tenner a week, losing my no-claims bonus (which was then about £700 on my GTi) for several years, or paying it myself. It made more economic sense to pay it myself, although it crippled me financially for some time.
pendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 16:59   #12
Give, give, give member

From this week's edition of the Accrington Observer-

Fined, no insurance £100.

Old 11-08-2005, 17:05   #13
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi
That is of course if they can see the number plate. Bikes do not have a forward facing plate.
How did he get you then? I would have thought any biker worth his leathers would have poped the front wheel up as you saw him to hide the rear plate and flick him the bird as you went past.
Old 11-08-2005, 17:05   #14
Resting in peace

£100 - it does make you wonder if it is worth paying the insurance premium, doesn't it. I always would, because I am law-abiding, but there are plenty out there who aren't, and guess who pays for it? - obviously not them, that's for sure. Of course, if you damage someone's car or even damage them, they can sue you, but the old legal adage is right - Sue a beggar, get a flea.
pendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 17:34   #15
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pendy
My insurance is through the roof on an aged car, bought for £1,500. I am 58, have never had an accident I have caused, and have a clean licence. I can't find my old insurance documents, so I can't prove my previous no claims bonus. SO - my insurance this year is going to be over one-third of the value of the car.

The one and only time, in many years of driving, that I did have an accident, it was an idiot on the M1 who ran into the back of me in full daylight. He caused £1,200-worth of damage to my car and - GUESS WHAT - THE B****** WASN'T INSURED!!! I had the choice of sueing him, and perhaps getting a tenner a week, losing my no-claims bonus (which was then about £700 on my GTi) for several years, or paying it myself. It made more economic sense to pay it myself, although it crippled me financially for some time.
Pendy, Ring up your previous insurers and ask for proof of NCD. They have to supply it by law.

Ian

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..