Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-10-2005, 09:05   #16
I am Banned

Re: Intolerance

Quote:
Originally Posted by expat
I have stood outside circuses holding a placard while families go in to watch a Elephant do tricks on roller skates
its amazing what you can do with 4 minis when you put your mind to it isnt it

although making an elephant roller skate is wrong i thought the only place elephants roller skated was in cartoons i had no idea some idiot had tried it with a real elephant lol
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 09-10-2005, 10:01   #17

I quite agree, society needs to be more tolerant of others. However, on the point of being a multi-cultural society I must strongly disagree. We are most certainly not a multi-cultural society. The English in England still account for 92% of the population (even with the massive influx of immigrants etc this last 10 years). The bulk of the remaining population live in almost ghettoised communities if not actually ghettos (there is very little mix and interaction). Further to the point of tolerence I find it offensive in the extreme that people talk about tolerence of the English and of their beliefs! I am proud to be English, and proud of our past and I do not apologise for it. If minority groups have a problem with this whether they were born here or not then they should leave. The entire notion of the English in England having to water down being English in order to accomodate foriegners is absolutely absurd! If people wish to come here they must shut up put up or get out!
Bad-Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2005, 10:17   #18
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

[QUOTE=expat] [QUOTE]Mine doesn't, it smells like pot pouirri[QUOTE]I for one would be quite prepared to eat a lovely crispy vegetarian! Because the only way they seem to be able to get rid of the wind their diet creates is to spread their cr*p around for the rest of us to endure! Oh dear, expat I thought you could recognise humour obviously I was wrong I therefore wholeheartedly and fully retract the statement I posted in this thread earlier!

Quote:
expat was proving to be the first veggie I've ever met that has the strength to maintain a sense of humour!
I promise that if you sit mumbling in your corner and ignoring me I will sit mumbling in my corner ignoring you until it come to meal times, would you prefer to be boiled or roasted?

Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2005, 10:21   #19
Give, give, give member

[QUOTE=expat]I would just like to to say my intentions with the meat stinks forum was not to have a go at meat eaters, I was not knocking them at all,infact all I was trying to do is open up a debate, or maybe for people to repond in a positive manor.But judging from the responces out there, it seemed to me certain people just want to belittle you are respond in an agressive way.[QUOTE]Mine doesn't, it smells like pot pouirri[QUOTE]I for one would be quite prepared to eat a lovely crispy vegetarian! Because the only way they seem to be able to get rid of the wind their diet creates is to spread their cr*p around for the rest of us to endure!
Quote:
I for one could stand my corner with these sort of people but then the forum spirals into a slanging match . and people reading the forum learn nothing, and the Moderator has to step in and close the forum which is a shame.
I have stood outside circuses holding a placard while families go in to watch a Elephant do tricks on roller skates, not once have I been aggresive towards these poeple my object just make them stop and think,you do get the aggresive people there to like'' Get job"' or" have you nothing better to do", but on the odd occasion you get someone that comes out afterwards and says " It was pitiful to see the Elephant" then all that abuse pales in significance.
I have suggested that they should open up a forum called Wanna Argue I think it would be good fun and people could vote on whose winning the Argument
It's called debate, most people have the intellect to argue their case, and not demand for a thread to be closed citing the fact that they are being attacked. Reading it again I still can't see where you got the idea it was a personal attack on you, like you complained to your friend the moderator, and had the thread closed. I find weakness intolerable, and feel sorry for people who can't fight their own battles, and don't have the belief of their convictions.

Perhaps you do respect other peoples views, but perhaps the next time you decide to share your's, you choose a less biased thread heading than 'meat stinks', unless you have the metal to stand and argue your case, instead of taking it all too personally and making complaints about people that disagree with you.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2005, 10:28   #20
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda

instead of taking it all too personally and making complaints about people that disagree with you.
Leave him be for now Rindy or you know who will have this thread closed down come and join me in my corner we can discuss Sunday lunch perhaps over a nice Cianti?

Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2005, 10:31   #21

Here we go again!!!!
As you know Garinda Len decided to close the thread, he wasn't promted! As for personal digs, what about the ones about punctuation,spelling and grammer??? It really is seen as bad practice in a forum, and i don't just mean this one! In my oppinion the thraed was a good debate and it got petty, lets try to avoid letting this one go the same way.
And before anybody startsto rant and rave, this is my oppinion and i'm sure were all entitled aren't we???

People work for money!
If you want loyalty, get a dog!!!
WINGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2005, 10:44   #22
Give, give, give member

I did make a joke about expat getting my name wrong and punctuation, it was called humour, he answered a question that didn't make sense and ended it with a comma like he forgot the last bit that would have concluded his argument.

I still think debate is right, and I have obvuiously struck a nerve about using friendship with the mods to close threads that I still feel was in no way a personal attack.

When people decided to discuss my personal life in threads I didn't feel the need to go bleating to get them closed, I asked for it to be moved to general tchat so more people could read my thoughts on the issue.

If all this forum is about is silly issues and not open debate, good luck.

Last edited by garinda; 09-10-2005 at 10:45.
garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2005, 10:49   #23

And that ones called PERSONAL CHOICE!!! You asked for it to be moved and discussed further, he obviously didnt want to.

People work for money!
If you want loyalty, get a dog!!!
WINGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2005, 12:14   #24
God Member

Quote:
I have suggested that they should open up a forum called Wanna Argue I think it would be good fun and people could vote on whose winning the Argument
What a brilliant idea! This has my whole-hearted support. How about it, Roy????
Old 09-10-2005, 14:21   #25
God Member

Looks like I opened the biggest can of worms around. I have speed read my way through and find that the posts are refecting peoples opinions with little or no sniping about what people post. Now that is tolerance and how I belive it should be in the wider world.

Willow said "I believe it's perfectly possible to tolerate another person's viewpoint and still strongly maintain your own" As soon as we forget this then it falls into a chasm of hatred and ill will and all because we have become narrow minded. Yes we can be patriotic yes we love are country and flags and footy are part of that. we have saints days so why as a multiculturel society can we not have special days for the other faiths. If the road of banning them because they are in England does that mean that as thee hub of the UK we get rid of Sts. Andrews Davids and Patricks days. This country was multicultural before the West Indian Asian and African immigarations. These peoples countries sent soldiers to die along side of the Brits in wars that were not theirs and yet we kick them at every oportunity after they helped us.

Lets live together and learn because oneday we might need the same people that are being baited. Yes they will have to learn to intigrate but that does not meen they have to give up their core beliefs. Trying to isolate them will give us the same headache the USA had up until the 1960's with the afro american section of their society.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2005, 14:33   #26
Beacon of light

Spuggie, I don't think anyone is trying to stop them having their core beliefs....and they do have their own religious days too.....when Ramadan is over you will see many shops that will be wishing the ethnic community a happy Eid. I certainly have no arguments with that, but when we start calling our Christmas 'Winterfest' to supposedly protect these people from cultural insult(or alleged cultural insult) it we who are being racist against ourselves.

Frequently the ethnic incomers are given assistance over the indigent population......this is an insult to us too. I worked in the NHS and for all the time that I was in that organisation the muslim staff were given their religious festivities off.....yet I was expected to work my Christmas.....do they suppose that as a Christian my faith is less valid....? I knew when I joined the NHS that I would have to make some sacrifices...and I really didn't mind doing my share..... but then maybe muslims should be happy to do the same.
Yet, I believe we are the most tolerant nation on earth.....or maybe it is apathy.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2005, 14:50   #27
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington
Spuggie, I don't think anyone is trying to stop them having their core beliefs....and they do have their own religious days too.....when Ramadan is over you will see many shops that will be wishing the ethnic community a happy Eid. I certainly have no arguments with that, but when we start calling our Christmas 'Winterfest' to supposedly protect these people from cultural insult(or alleged cultural insult) it we who are being racist against ourselves.

Frequently the ethnic incomers are given assistance over the indigent population......this is an insult to us too. I worked in the NHS and for all the time that I was in that organisation the muslim staff were given their religious festivities off.....yet I was expected to work my Christmas.....do they suppose that as a Christian my faith is less valid....? I knew when I joined the NHS that I would have to make some sacrifices...and I really didn't mind doing my share..... but then maybe muslims should be happy to do the same.
Yet, I believe we are the most tolerant nation on earth.....or maybe it is apathy.
Excellent point I think you have hit the nail on the head there Margaret!!
accymel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2005, 17:06   #28
God Member

This has been a good debate bar one person and I know who you are. People like you are the reason we have these problems!

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

Old 09-10-2005, 18:50   #29
God Member

Margaret I work for the NHS and I too have witnessed all Muslims being given Eid off work, even though it made us short staffed, last year though, their leave was restricted too (in our department anyway), it should be the same for all throughout in my opinion.
grego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2005, 20:25   #30
God Member

Thats all it takes is some commen sense and comprimise.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..