Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2007, 22:51   #1
God Member

Iran Crisis

I'm a bit surprised that the biggest news topic of the week isn't being discussed on accyweb (unless I've missed the thread )

The actions of the Iranian "regime" over the last few days, IMHO, are tantamount to saying "OI, YOU, OUTSIDE NOW!"

To have held these personnel captive for longer than a week now, without consular or legal access, and then parading them on television with glib "confessions" is unacceptable.

What is more shameful has been the hand-wringing actions of the UN and the lack of any firm resolve from the US .... And now we have Margaret Beckett saying the the situation is "regrettable"

If these personnel were genuinely not in Iranian waters, that's not the language which should be coming from our leaders!
Old 01-04-2007, 22:58   #2
I am Banned

Re: Iran Crisis

Something more is to this than has come out which wouldnt surprise me just feel it in my waters lol. Mind u the only news i've seen about this is at yours LOL!!
accymel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 23:02   #3
God Member

Tinks , a couple of related threads were set up , " Royal Navy , prisoners in Iran" and " Fighting Mothers " but no-one seems interested in the topic so they just drifted away

steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 23:06   #4
God Member

Opps I'm a spaz lol! Proper missed thoughs. Must invest in some specs

.... One of the nice mods will move it

Right off to watch Wrestlemania!!
Old 02-04-2007, 07:56   #5
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkerbelle View Post
Opps I'm a spaz lol!
I am too polite to argue with a lady.

I can't believe Blair has let this go on for so long. The Yanks would have filled the region with warships by now just to show they were not playing games.
I wonder where the Royal Navy can borrow some ships from.
Old 02-04-2007, 13:06   #6
God Member

The Iranians are spinning and squeezing every lost drop of spin and propaganda that the 2 B's look like rank
amateurs

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 17:09   #7

It would appear that Mr. Blair and Company are in full Jimmy Carter mode....and you know that's not a good thing.

The U.N., (as usual), will do nothing. The Europeans refuse to have even a temporary cessation of trade with Iran. President Bush is being criticized today for having had the impertinence to refer to the British sailors and marines as "hostages." Well, what would one call them.....guests of the Iranian government?
bullseyebarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 17:27   #8
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullseyebarb View Post
It would appear that Mr. Blair and Company are in full Jimmy Carter mode....and you know that's not a good thing.

?
I seem to remember that it was President Carter who took action and authorized the rescue attempt , unfortunatly it was one big military cock-up , the reason for the Tabus debacle must be laid directly at the feet of the Joints Chiefs of staff .
Old 02-04-2007, 17:39   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack View Post
I seem to remember that it was President Carter who took action and authorized the rescue attempt , unfortunatly it was one big military cock-up , the reason for the Tabus debacle must be laid directly at the feet of the Joints Chiefs of staff .
I'm talking about Jimmy's penchant for "diplomacy". You cannot make deals with the Devil. As a rule, I don't like to criticize people over the age of 80 - but I find myself making an exception for James Earl. He's just plain awful.
Old 02-04-2007, 17:48   #10
God Member

Quote:
I'm talking about Jimmy's penchant for "diplomacy". You cannot make deals with the Devil. As a rule, I don't like to criticize people over the age of 80 - but I find myself making an exception for James Earl. He's just plain awful.
LOL , you're good ......James Earl ? eh .... there are more than a couple of guys with those Christian names in US history .
Old 02-04-2007, 18:01   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack View Post
LOL , you're good ......James Earl ? eh .... there are more than a couple of guys with those Christian names in US history .
Certainly. But the subject here is the former president, with whom I have more than a passing acquaintance since he was once the governor of Georgia. He'd never make it today.....thank God.
Old 03-04-2007, 01:44   #12
Resting in peace

Quote:
Certainly. But the subject here is the former president, with whom I have more than a passing acquaintance since he was once the governor of Georgia. He'd never make it today.....thank God.
Hi bullseyebarb was Jimmy Carter realy a 'Peanut Farmer' or was it just another degrogatry remark? Was there not a James Earl Ray who was convicted of assasinating Martin Luther King?
Ianto.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 01:54   #13
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ianto.W. View Post
Hi bullseyebarb was Jimmy Carter realy a 'Peanut Farmer' or was it just another degrogatry remark? Was there not a James Earl Ray who was convicted of assasinating Martin Luther King?
Yep, thats the way I read it , a snide attack on someone who makes the present incumbant of the office of President look like a village in texas has lost its idiot.

Old 03-04-2007, 20:23   #14
Apprentice Geriatric

Question Re: Iran Crisis

When this episode is finally resolved and I feel that it could be some time yet, and we get our troops back will it be quietly forgotten to protect the higher ranking officers? Or will someone still ask the question why were HMS Cornwall 8 miles away from the boarding party and why didn’t someone see the Iranian gunboats approaching? After all the ship was patrolling in what to all intents and purposes is a war zone so it should have been at a readiness one step down from full action stations. Even if the ship were at cruising watch all radar would still have been operating.

If an old battle class destroyer like HMS Alamein which I served on back in the fifties could see aircraft at over 100 miles away and small boats at over 50 miles away, a modern frigate like HMS Cornwall should have seen the Iranian gunboats long before they were in a position to ‘arrest’ our sailors and marines.

The thought also occurs – will the 15 captured sailors and marines still get paid for the days they were prisoners? Or will it be like during the last war when British prisoners did not get paid whilst in captivity?
Old 06-04-2007, 17:40   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ianto.W. View Post
Not exactly. His father, James Earl Carter, Sr., was a peanut farmer and storekeeper. When Jimmy finished his naval service in 1953, he returned to Plains to take over the family farm because his father had been diagnosed with cancer. However, there was a drought and he didn't do well. He then turned to warehousing and shelling peanuts for other farmers in the vicinity. The business grew and he was quite successful.

Yes, on the MLK question.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..