Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 21-07-2006, 20:26   #1

Angry Unsafe Streets.....

Is it bad when I can't walk down my own street without fearing for my life?
I'm 17, and when i was young...well, youngER....i don't remember gangs, thugs, scum basically, wandering the streets..... is this because i didn't care at that age, or because these anti-socials are breeding too fast?
I see young teens in the street drinking, fighting, asking the eldest looking one (and even complete strangers. i.e me) if they can 'get served' for fags and alcohol, and i know these miniture hellians are going to grow up, and be even more intimidating. It's disgusting, and i can't believe i actually try my hardest to avoid them to avoid being abused, when they've barely reached puberty.
I suppose the worst ones are my age that hang around on street corners. I was walking to a friends house in accrington and there were gangs of these 'chavs' drinking (obviously) and shouting all sorts of language to eachother.....we took a different route home. What really got to me for some reason was the fact there was elderly people around...I would never dream of swearing in front of my elders...strangers or not, because i don't want these learned people to get the wrong impression of teens...my friends...the decent kind. Maybe it's the upbringing, maybe it's the parents, i don't know, but this area is getting worse. Sometimes i do wonder where the parents are of these people....do they know what their children are doing? Probably not.... Don't get me wrong, it's not EVERYWHERE round the towns, but I'd love to walk around my home town with my head held high without fear of being mugged, called names or having a glass bottle being thrown at me. I'm not even gonna go into what trouble we've had on our street, it's like living in a soap opera.....boring, annoying and damn right frustrating. Can't these people just go....simply...just go away......
Lea
x
ploppysirploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 21-07-2006, 20:36   #2
Beacon of light

Re: Unsafe Streets.....

I find this interesting. Especially coming from someone who is of a similar age group to the young hooligans. I am one of those older people, and I hate to hear the language that falls out of the mouths of children.......it is refreshing to hear that you find it intolerable too....I hope there are many more of your peer group out there who feel the same.
I applaud you and award you some Karma for telling it like it is.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2006, 20:55   #3

I'm same age group too and I hate them. Do I get some karma?

But seriously, there has to be a reason that these people are like this. I put it down to broken families, no money and dire boredom. I can relate so strongly to their situation in many ways. That's not to say that I think it's acceptable to behave the way that they do. It's just that I can understand their position.

I was out last night, round accrington. Anyway, after the night came to its natural end, we went to get some food. The amount of stick you get simply because you don't have a shaved head and wear different clothing is ridiculous. Me and my friends were being called so many different names it's untrue. If we'd had a few more drinks I don't think we'd have stood by and let it happen.

We've got a problem that needs sorting out. But I don't think it can be done by whacking an ASBO or arresting them. These people are still gonna go out and they're still gonna push the boundaries of the law. They can't get arrested for insulting people, but we can get arrested for turning round and planting our fists into their faces. They deserve it from where I'm stood. These people have no future and no lives and I think we'd be doing them a favour, to be quite blunt. We need to seriously tackle this problem from its roots. People have nothing to do and no motivation. Our binge drinking culture is there for a reason. People are fed up with one thing or another and turn to getting drunk to escape the real world. Maybe getting locked up will spice up their lives a little. I don't know the answer to this problem, but this cannot continue. I'm off to uni in september (hopefully), moving into the city, so it may be a little different over there. I hope so. If not, I'm leaving the country.
DeShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2006, 21:12   #4
God Member

We're kind of outnumbering the older people in this thread right now .
I'm 18 and agree with everyone. These people have no respect for themselves or anyone else. As ploppysirploppy says, when im around older people or even just people I don't know, I watch what I say, because I care what peoples impressions of me are, I don't want them to get a bad impression, but also because I know it's intimidating.

So many times i've decided to walk accross the road, or walk another way, to avoid people, because these people JUST DONT CARE.. i've known people get beat up for no reason, they don't know the person, they havn't even been mugged, just beaten up for the pleasure of the scum.

I personaly don't think it's down to poverty, there are loads of people like this and its not an exclusive club for people from poorer backgrounds. I think it's solely down to upbringing. If your parents swear a lot around you or at you, you in turn use those words around others. If theres no punishment for beating someone up, for using inappropriate language around people whome don't want to hear it, for having no respect, then how are they ment to learn any?
Old 21-07-2006, 21:18   #5
Junior Member+

I am a 15 year old and I too do not feel safe when these hooligans are about. I hate walking down the streets even when I am with my friends. I always ask my parents to pick me and my friends up and my parents always know where I am.
:engsmil:
devilangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2006, 21:22   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyfr
We're kind of outnumbering the older people in this thread right now .
The grown ups are being racist/telling off racist people in the Alton Towers thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyfr
I think it's solely down to upbringing. If your parents swear a lot around you or at you, you in turn use those words around others. If theres no punishment for beating someone up, for using inappropriate language around people whome don't want to hear it, for having no respect, then how are they ment to learn any?
I don't know about that. I'm sure that there's something deep down inside that tells us that these things are wrong. There's something that says we should stick up for each other. It's ingrained into all the major religions. Atheists don't believe in God... heaven... hell. Therefore there's no threat of hell for doing bad things. There's no reward in the afterlife for being good. But even if I were atheist, I would still look out for other people, I wouldn't steal, murder and do whatever I wanted. Upbringing is probably a factor, but these people still need to justify what they do. Surely?

It all reminds me of A Clockwork Orange though. They did it for the fun of it. They didn't need to justify it. They thought it was funny, they got their kicks and lived happily ever after. There were conscience-free. I think it's jealousy. They don't like the way that other people have more than they do. Mentally, solidarity-wise, socially, physically, money-wise. I think they should get off their asses and earn it for themselves. They're lazy and want to take it. Maybe it's my inner-tory (or fascist depending on your point of view) speaking out, but let's shoot them eh?
Old 21-07-2006, 21:23   #7
Always EVIL within us

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeShark
If not, I'm leaving the country.
That would be a shame DeShark, This thread already demonstrates that there are a considerable number of youngsters on the Accyweb that have moral standards, Its nice to read the threads from you all
Old 21-07-2006, 21:37   #8

I think i agree with Cyfr when saying it's not due to poverty, it's partly upbringing. But even so....i did actually know some of these people..but now i just regard them as people i've met....frankly, it's embarrassing. As i type this, there are two girls outside, probably drunk, shouting and just being disrespectful, etc...i'm sick of it. I too, like devilangel, get my parents to pick me up...or waste loads of money on taxi's, because i feel unsafe walking home. Nobody should be made to feel this way, especially in your own town thats meant to be homely and welcoming.
I think it's happening because they know they can get away with it...the other week, a thug punched our window threw...didn't know him or anything...and surprise surprise he'd had a drink..the same hooligan threw a lit cigarette into our kitchen, landing on the curtains...if it wasn't for a neighbour across the street witnessing these events and recognising their face....our house could have been up in flames...what have the police done? where is this thug now? It's come to a point where i think 'why bother?'
These people should be locked up.
Lea
x
Old 21-07-2006, 21:41   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilangel
I am a 15 year old and I too do not feel safe when these hooligans are about. I hate walking down the streets even when I am with my friends. I always ask my parents to pick me and my friends up and my parents always know where I am.
:engsmil:
That raises a good point actually. Suppose my parents don't care enough to pick me up. I've no money so I have to walk home. I feel victimised so I'd rather my mates were round. So we stick together. A good group of 5 of us. I don't want to draw attention to myself, so I put my hood up to avoid making eye contact. What if we were to get jumped by a gang of hooligans? Maybe I should carry knuckle dusters or a knife as protection. I know it's not legal, but I'd prefer to be cautioned than left to bleed to death on the streets. We feel threatened but it's best not to appear weak. So we walk proud, keep our head up. We've nothing to fear anymore so we don't need to avoid eye contact. In fact, if someone starts something with us, shouldn't we teach them how to behave? They've got it coming anyway. Look at these people, wearing their nice clothes. I bet they think we're some sort of degenerate race just because we don't have as much money. They won't voice their opinions cause they're cowards. Let's tell em how we feel about it. Tell them how rubbish their dress sense is.. how they look like toffs and geeks. They deserve it anyway... One thing leads to another and before you know it, you've stabbed someone's guts out and they're the ones bleeding to death...
Old 21-07-2006, 21:49   #10
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

its certainly creditable that the young uns are saying all this it makes a pleasant change, cyfr has hit the nail on the head to me - its what they hear and see at home same as if you are training a puppy the differance children are easier to train cos they question what they don,t understand and you can explain a situation to them, to me the main fault lies with some parents. at the end of the day what you are brought up with is usually how you turn out. by the way i was walking up owd bobs this evening with the dog when i heard voices in the grey fenced compound on the right thinking theres never anyone over there i glanced over and was met by What the F***** hell you looking at- it was 4 young girls about 12-14 years old not being blessed with an abundence of diplomacy i replied SLAPPERS , surprisingly they never said owt else, so you lot have displayed to me theres Many decent kids for all the rabble out there. i think i needed that tonight,THANKS.
Old 21-07-2006, 21:51   #11
Junior Member+

Rubbish! If you are going out you should make sure that you can get home safely. Putting your hood up and carrying knuckle dusters makes you a threat and a hooligan to others.
Old 21-07-2006, 21:54   #12

They do deserve it, they do, but if i walk around in a group of 5/6, yes i'd feel more safe sticking together....but i don't want people to feel intimidated because of that either.........
I just don't trust them.....maybe we should walk around with knives, etc...just in case.....but i wouldn't want to be classed as someone who walks the street with a knife in her back pocket......protection or not....more to the point, we shouldn't have to....that's what the police are there for....well...supposed to be there for
Lea
x

PS. Cashman....i wanna slap those type of girls.... 13/14..CHILDREN...they're like ants, on their own their nothing....

Last edited by ploppysirploppy; 21-07-2006 at 21:56.
Old 21-07-2006, 22:16   #13
Passed away 25-11-09

I live in a "well-heeled" area, it's what you would call Middle Class. I came to live here 30 years ago when it was a quiet, small village.

In the middle of the village we have an ancient stone cross surrounded by a cobbled square with a few benches. It's here, particularly on a Friday evening, where the youths congregate to drink anything they can get from the local off-licence, get hold of what drugs are available, swear at passers-by and fight with youths who come from another village 6 miles away hell-bent on trouble. We no longer have a manned police station, when we did there was very little bother, so the police arrive regularly in vans and arrest them. It doesn't do much good apart from the confiscation of knives and other weapons.

Now these kids are not deprived. They don't come from "sink" estates and their parents are not out of work or in low-paid jobs. Many of them have nice homes, expensive holidays and mums who drive 4X4s to do the school-run. It's not the richest area in North Cheshire but it's not a poor place.

It's a sad, undisciplined world we live in.
Old 21-07-2006, 22:28   #14

Thumbs up Re: Unsafe Streets.....

well it,s nice to hear that there are some sencible teen ages that care your parents must be very proud of you keep it up
Quote:
Originally Posted by ploppysirploppy
Is it bad when I can't walk down my own street without fearing for my life?
I'm 17, and when i was young...well, youngER....i don't remember gangs, thugs, scum basically, wandering the streets..... is this because i didn't care at that age, or because these anti-socials are breeding too fast?
I see young teens in the street drinking, fighting, asking the eldest looking one (and even complete strangers. i.e me) if they can 'get served' for fags and alcohol, and i know these miniture hellians are going to grow up, and be even more intimidating. It's disgusting, and i can't believe i actually try my hardest to avoid them to avoid being abused, when they've barely reached puberty.
I suppose the worst ones are my age that hang around on street corners. I was walking to a friends house in accrington and there were gangs of these 'chavs' drinking (obviously) and shouting all sorts of language to eachother.....we took a different route home. What really got to me for some reason was the fact there was elderly people around...I would never dream of swearing in front of my elders...strangers or not, because i don't want these learned people to get the wrong impression of teens...my friends...the decent kind. Maybe it's the upbringing, maybe it's the parents, i don't know, but this area is getting worse. Sometimes i do wonder where the parents are of these people....do they know what their children are doing? Probably not.... Don't get me wrong, it's not EVERYWHERE round the towns, but I'd love to walk around my home town with my head held high without fear of being mugged, called names or having a glass bottle being thrown at me. I'm not even gonna go into what trouble we've had on our street, it's like living in a soap opera.....boring, annoying and damn right frustrating. Can't these people just go....simply...just go away......
Lea
x
madmal_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2006, 22:33   #15

That just shows that it could be the lack of discipline in their lives thats done it.....or just the fact that it's so common it's natural to them. Either way, if these people were taught how to act when smaller.....how to have respect for other people, especially elders, maybe they wouldn't do the things they do... Their parents have let them get away with so much, and given them so much, they get spoilt...well...what do i know...i don't act like they do..i have respect, i've been brought up right...i mean, sure, some nights i come home at like 3/4/5 o'clock in the morning.....i just don't let the whole street know about it, like at this very minute...my idiot of a 16 yr old neighbour is shouting her head off.....it's just not neccessary
Lea
x

PS. thanks madmal D

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..