Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14-10-2007, 18:04   #76
Beacon of light

Re: is father christmas dead?

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
"Santa Claus is More About Parents than Children:
Parental investment in Santa Claus is far larger than anything kids do, suggesting that parents’ defense of the Santa Claus myth is more about what they want than about what kids want. Their own memories about enjoying Santa may be heavily influenced by cultural assumptions about what they should have experienced. Is it not possible that kids would find at least as much pleasure in knowing that parents are responsible for Christmas, not a supernatural stranger?"

extract from -
Santa Claus: Should Parents Perpetuate the Santa Claus Myth?
I am sure that this is, to a great extent true.
Most parents want to provide something better for their own children than their parents provided for them......or at least on a par with.
Even though we were poor I enjoyed the Christmas experience......OK, it wasn't so commercial way back then....and I remember wanting to provide my own child with the Christmas experience........and what is wrong with that?
Margaret, you are entitled to your own opinion (as is everyone else who uses this forum), but it isn't one that I would subscribe to.
Let children enjoy their childhood......it doesn't have to be viewed from such an adult and serious perspective.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 14-10-2007, 18:11   #77
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
I find it offensive that you chose to expand and use bold font for the name of another forum member - indicating your contempt
If this was not your intention, please say so

PS "you amuse me" does not neccessarily = "I like you"
Slow down girl, your making the mistake of getting personal, stick to your guns if you must but don't attempt to make yourself less than you already have!

I used bold and size seven font to emphasise the irony of the whole argument, so far you and a fantasy figure have shown disdain for everyone else, please feel free to have your ideas but don't spoil it for the rest of us, kids are kids and should be given the adventure of imagination.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2007, 18:19   #78
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITZY View Post
When my youngsters were about 7 the teacher told them father Christmas didn't exist, she didn't believe in kids being brought up in a make believe world. Boy was there a lot of parents at school next day......
Thats disgusting, I would've been round at the school too.

I completely disagree with you Margaret, when I found out that Father Christmas didn't exist (thanks Lettie) it didn't even enter my head that I'd been lied to by my parents I was just pleased that I were still getting presents. I kind of knew anyway cause we used to find them every year
Old 14-10-2007, 18:20   #79
Junior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
Slow down girl, your making the mistake of getting personal, stick to your guns if you must but don't attempt to make yourself less than you already have!

I used bold and size seven font to emphasise the irony of the whole argument, so far you and a fantasy figure have shown disdain for everyone else, please feel free to have your ideas but don't spoil it for the rest of us, kids are kids and should be given the adventure of imagination.

What a load of utter rubbish, gandalfthewhite is a silly name I chose for this forum, that's all it is, an alias, father xmas totally different, there is no irony.
gandalfthewhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2007, 18:20   #80
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post

I think I have always been 'civilised' in this thread and have presented the alternative argument in a reasonable way.

I haven't said 'I don't like you' because I don't know and I never tell lies

I think 'the jury is now out' - either side of this argument is not likely to change our individual entrenched opinions
Thanks for the mental excercise and the excuse for in depth Googling

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2007, 18:23   #81
Resting in peace

Father Christmas is something as a child ,I do not think that one of you argue as you will, did not look forward to when it was 'your time'. Please keep the illusion going, as the four seasons come and go so do 'our' religious festivals, an rightly so we should perpetuate them. I am now an 'old fogey, but I set targets in life, each one is my next goal in life. Our children should be encouraged to do the same, instead of wishing our lives away let them have something to look forward to. After all is said and done, they are growing up far to quickly these days.
Ianto.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2007, 18:26   #82
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
thank god fer your thoughts, thought maybe it was me being an "old fashioned git" it made me very sad really.
But you are an "old fashioned git".

It's a pity that being old fashioned is out of fashion.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2007, 18:29   #83

Quote:
I think I have always been 'civilised' in this thread and have presented the alternative argument in a reasonable way.

I haven't said 'I don't like you' because I don't know and I never tell lies

I think 'the jury is now out' - either side of this argument is not likely to change our individual entrenched opinions
Thanks for the mental excercise and the excuse for in depth Googling
Where have I said you weren't civilised? Wrong, in fact completely wrong but NEVER uncivilised!

I haven't said "I don't like you because well, to be honest most of the time I do because you put forward many sensible thought's today though, you are wrong, (and it gives me no pleasure to tell you this),
(it's in red 'cos I want it to be not as some sort of insult).

Quote:
gandalfthewhite=What a load of utter rubbish, gandalfthewhite is a silly name I chose for this forum, that's all it is, an alias, father xmas totally different, there is no irony.
let me know if you would like pointing to an on line Dictionary then you can look up irony?
Old 14-10-2007, 18:36   #84
God Member

Less - we will agree to differ (and thanks for the bits that were complimentary)

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2007, 18:39   #85

Quote:
Less - we will agree to differ (and thanks for the bits that were complimentary)
Now come on Margaret, we can't agree to differ yet, we've only got one mod' watching over us, we need to carry on until there are at least three!
Old 14-10-2007, 18:51   #86
mez
God Member

got to agree with you ianto life is too short for kids & "fairytails" & imagination are dissapearing oh so fast, last year someone (i think it was ksh) put a thread on about nasa, & the tracking of father christmas around the world .........i will say & admit i did & will do this year followed the trail of father christmas .......................i found it quite interesting, lighten up people its only christmas magic after all.
Old 14-10-2007, 19:46   #87
God Member

IM with lettie ..WHAT NO SANTA ??? NOOOOOOOOOOOOWAYYYYYY!!!!!!
dont believe you . of course there is , ive seen him .. lol
some mothers dont deserve the name .....cruel ..
cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2007, 19:46   #88
Passed away 25-11-09

We've always, in our family, played the Santa Claus thing down to an extent. Most of their presents were not given anonymously and the few that were got less and less as the child got older. The children enjoyed playing along with the Santa idea, humouring the parents a lot of the time, but it was never a very big deal once they got past babyhood. Children aren't as naive as parents sometimes like to think.

What I do think is wrong is to show a child something you've bought for him then say he can't have it yet. That's like putting a hot dinner under the nose of a hungry child then taking it away again, it's thoughtless and callous.
Old 14-10-2007, 20:14   #89
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by harwood red View Post
hope that helps lily

Cheers, Harwood Red. I shalll use those.
Old 14-10-2007, 20:17   #90
God Member

[quote=grego;481611]Thats disgusting, I would've been round at the school too.

Me too, Grego.

It's the parents' decision what/when to tell the children about Father Christmas, not the teachers'. She had no right to do that.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..