Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-03-2009, 10:27   #1
Beacon of light

Is this Justice?

There is a report in the newspapers today that suggests that young offenders...robbers, muggers etc who are reliant on drugs, or who can prove that they have a drink or gambling problem are to be let off with a caution.....a 'final' warning(though how many of these will get more that one final warning is anyones guess).
The police may impose conditions......such as attendance at a substance abuse course....or community service of unpaid work.

Do you consider that this is justice for the victims of these crimes?
Do you think it is a soft option for the offenders?
Will it stop re-offending?
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 07-03-2009, 10:42   #2
Resting in Peace

Re: Is this Justice?

I saw that Margaret, and I can't really put on here what I really think or I'd get barred. A soft option, its criminal, then they wonder why decent people can't go on the streets at night for fear of being attacked, it stinks to high heaven. Don't know whether anybody else has heard this, but I was told yesterday that drug addicts have £15 a day pain into their bank accounts to help them cope with their habit, don't know how much truth there is in this, but it wouldn't surprise me one little bit if it were true
Old 07-03-2009, 10:47   #3
Beacon of light

It is true Jaysay...and alcoholics have money paid into their accounts to provide them with their drink(though I don't know the amount)......so why should the justice system be skewed to protect these people?
And it means that you aren't safe even in your own home.....because these thugs can break in and all they will get is a slap on the wrist, a community service order and made to apologise to their victim. It is an outrage. It teaches them nothing and lets them believe that they can offend without fear of any consequence
Old 07-03-2009, 12:36   #4
Senior Member+

I think most people on here already know my stance on the crime and punishment argument so i'll keep my thoughts to myself on this one

http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f...tem-27517.html

read at your peril!
jedimaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 13:21   #5
Beacon of light

These young ruffians are serial offenders by the way.
Old 07-03-2009, 13:22   #6
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimaster View Post
I think most people on here already know my stance on the crime and punishment argument so i'll keep my thoughts to myself on this one

read at your peril!

Mine too!
Old 07-03-2009, 13:33   #7
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedi master View Post

read at your peril!
If only we could dish it out like that, the only problem is he doesn't have a load of bleeding heart bloody liberals screaming human rights at every turn and an Home Secretary that's about as much use as a one legged fellow at bum kicking contest
Old 07-03-2009, 14:50   #8
Give, give, give member

There's little to act as a deterrent for those who commit crime.

If found guilty I'd bang 'em up somwhere secure and cheap, so it doesn't cost a lot for those who do try to abide by society's laws. Some big, cold, secure industrial unit in the middle of nowhere. No tv, no pool tables, no radios...nothing but basic food, and that only if they behave themselves.

Sadly I can't see it happening, as the perpetrators of crime have more rights than the victims of crime.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 15:58   #9
God Member

pfft no one forced them to be alcholics and no one forced them to takes drugs so if anythingthey shoudl be locked up double teh sentence if found to be commiting crime to feed a habbit

if these lot get there way shoud i only get a caution if i throw a brick through a shop window to get some ciggys because im gasping for a drag ?

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 17:39   #10
God Member

It seems that whenever something like this crops up on Accy Web, people toss their intellect and common sense out the window; they seem to confuse intelligent and creative response with a spasmodic, ill-thought-out reaction. One sensational new report sends people scurrying for their cat o' nine tails and their nooses. Simple solutions will not work ... Is anyone going to present any stats showing that there has been a massive increase in crime? If someone does, then they may form a basis for a set of reasoned arguments. Perhaps if one looked not at deterrents for crime, but at the incentives, one may get a clearer picture. There is no simple equation: harsher punishment = less crime ... just doesn't work that way. Look at the example that the US gives us, esp. a US governed by right wing republicans. Some of the toughest laws in the world; the only developed Western nation still to have capital punishment; some really tough drug laws .... and what do we get: crime rate in general thro' the roof; murder rate .... well, the city of Detroit has more murders in a year than the whole of the British Isles .... more drug addicts, and most drug related crimes amongst developed nations .... And take a look at the prison population in the US; don't you notice a preponderance of blacks and hispanics? Mmmm, niggers and spics must have a greater tendency to crime than white folks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And in Canada, it's the First Nations people who are over-represented in the jails. I wonder if poverty and the unequal distribution of wealth and justice might have something to do with it? O. J. Simpson literally got away with murder, because he could afford millions of dollars worth of legal aid; Tyrone and Jesus go to the chair. I'm not wandering off topic; I'm offering a thumbnail of a model lots of you guys seem to want to follow. Maybe the answers your government(s) are coming up with are not the right ones; maybe they won't work all that well; but that shouldn't stop the search for solutions that will work ... rather than go back to solutions that have been proven not to work. I've expressed these opinions before, with little success .... and I don't expect much change this time around.

I guess I should throw up a wall .... nah, I have the Atlantic.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 18:06   #11
God Member

"A newspaper report that suggests"...since when has a suggestion in a the newspaper been the law?
Do alcoholics and drug addicts really get extra money put into bank accounts? it's all hearsay... someone told me this and someone told me that ....playground gossip!
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 18:19   #12
God Member

It has long been the case that alcholics got extra benefits to fund their addiction, they used to collect it from the DHSS offices. Can't see it being any different now apart from payment method
Old 07-03-2009, 18:21   #13
God Member

alcholics DO get extra money for booze but cancer victims dont get extra money for fags

alcholic layabout next door to me even got a carer to go buy it for him coz he was too ill to get to teh shops himself

i use the work " ill " very loosley in that sentence its about time we stopped moley coddleing addicts and either put them out of their misery or force them into isolated cold turkey until they are free of their addiction but sadly theres always one idiot screaming its not their fault when it damn well is

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

Last edited by accyman; 07-03-2009 at 18:24.
accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 18:26   #14
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BERNADETTE View Post
It has long been the case that alcholics got extra benefits to fund their addiction, they used to collect it from the DHSS offices. Can't see it being any different now apart from payment method
Have you got any proof of this Bernadette or Accyman.. anything you can post.. because I cannot find any evidence of "extra" payments...only cliams for disability allowance..but that is a basic payment.

Last edited by Mancie; 07-03-2009 at 18:30.
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 18:31   #15
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancie View Post
Have you got any proof of this Bernadette... anything you can post.. because I cannot find any evidence of "extra" payments...only cliams for disability allowance..but that is a basic payment.
No sorry nothing that I can post to prove it but it has been happening for years. The people getting the extra money were quick to brag about it, not going to name people but there were quite a few of them

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..