Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-08-2007, 06:18   #1
God Member

is this true...Britons embarrassed about condoms

came across this news item

BBC NEWS | Health | Britons embarrassed about condoms

no way would I think about crawling/staggering into bed with a new partner without using any kind of protection and I'm an old 'geezer' haven't the younger folks learnt anything about sex-education over the last 20 years , even if the women you copulate with are of a certain age , it's no gaurantee you won't end up with recurring 'cold-sores' on your dangley bits or something even worse
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 06-08-2007, 06:45   #2
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!
Re: is this true...Britons embarrassed about condoms

I don't think that people find it difficult to talk about condoms, I think that they find it difficult to talk about sex.
With all of our STI and HIV increases in the UK in the last few years you'd think it would have become easier. Funnily enough, all the STI statistics took a major downturn in the 1980s when AIDS was heavily publicised on TV and adverts urged people to use condoms, the birthrate in the UK also fell. The adverts disappeared from TV and the incidence of HIV and STIs have risen.
I also think that parents have difficulty talking about sex to their children and that women would rather that men took the lead when talking about condom use, but that is just my opinion based on conversations with women.

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 09:19   #3
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

my daughters coming to the age in a good few years i hope!!, and i always say to her, when the time comes and you are ready, make him cover it up!!
im very open and not shy talkng to my daughter about it, though she can be sometimes but she will get used to it!
people are not embarrassed in getting comdoms, they just mindless!
Old 06-08-2007, 18:35   #4
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

condoms------ its like washing yer feet with yer socks on.
Old 06-08-2007, 19:23   #5
God Member

With all the nasty possible side effects of a quickie, or a significant overnight relationship, the motto is "No balloon, no party."
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 19:25   #6
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
condoms------ its like washing yer feet with yer socks on.
Only do that when I've been drinking too much
Old 06-08-2007, 19:34   #7
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lettie View Post
I don't think that people find it difficult to talk about condoms, I think that they find it difficult to talk about sex.
With all of our STI and HIV increases in the UK in the last few years you'd think it would have become easier. Funnily enough, all the STI statistics took a major downturn in the 1980s when AIDS was heavily publicised on TV and adverts urged people to use condoms, the birthrate in the UK also fell. The adverts disappeared from TV and the incidence of HIV and STIs have risen.
I also think that parents have difficulty talking about sex to their children and that women would rather that men took the lead when talking about condom use, but that is just my opinion based on conversations with women.

Perhaps parents have that difficulty because their kids know more about sex than they do ... most women I know carry their own condoms, in fact, all the local drug stores carry cute little designer compacts for women to carry their condoms in ... Maybe its true; you guys over the pond really are uptight about s-e-x.
Old 06-08-2007, 19:37   #8
God Member

Men must learn to buy thinner socks or risk spreading athelete's foot.
It is sad but true
(there is no more ridiculous sight than a naked man just wearing socks)

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 19:41   #9
Beacon of light

I know that this is probably a very old-fashioned viewpoint, but maybe we should promote committed relationships instead of one night stands or quickies....but I suppose in this hedonistic society it is too much to hope for.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 19:58   #10
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
I know that this is probably a very old-fashioned viewpoint, but maybe we should promote committed relationships instead of one night stands or quickies....but I suppose in this hedonistic society it is too much to hope for.
I agree that faithful relationships would be ideal- but even if you find one that will be faithful to you (remote chance) you will still be risking catching whatever ANY of his previous escapades have exposed him to.
The chance of finding a virgin decreases with age - and if you do - you cant spare the time or effort to 'train him up'

Old 06-08-2007, 20:09   #11
Give, give, give member

In a way we've gone backwards. Twenty years ago, because of the threat of AIDS, you had people like Angela Rippon and Noel Edmonds putting condoms onto bananas on teatime television, and because of the increased use of barrier protection, incidence of all STD's fell dramatically.

There is now a whole new generation of people who don't know the risk of not using condoms, if they are going to have unprotected sex. I've lost too many friends ever to forget.

As Marg P said, the only safe sex is no sex, but if celibacy holds no appeal, condoms do offer some protection, and gone are the days of embarrassment in the chemist/barbers, now that you can put them in your supermarket trolley with your beans.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 20:32   #12
Senior Member+

If you are of a " certain age " i.e. me , the chances of you shacking up with someone who hasn't been round the block a few times are non - existent ! You would be daft not to use protection; at least until you had sussed out where he had been before !
Old 06-08-2007, 20:43   #13
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindsay ormerod View Post
If you are of a " certain age " i.e. me , the chances of you shacking up with someone who hasn't been round the block a few times are non - existent ! You would be daft not to use protection; at least until you had sussed out where he had been before !
Could you rely on him being honest about it?
It is like sleeping with everyone they have ever slept with and everyone they have every slept with as well = sleeping with the whole population of Uk and beyond - the mind boggles

PS Kate - if you read this - just stop taking the HRT (problem solved )

Last edited by MargaretR; 06-08-2007 at 20:45.
Old 06-08-2007, 20:45   #14
Senior Member+

I wouldn't be putting myself in that situation if I couldn't trust him.
Old 06-08-2007, 22:27   #15
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindsay ormerod View Post
I wouldn't be putting myself in that situation if I couldn't trust him.
Your optimism is refreshing - I wasted a lifetime on misplaced trust
Hope for better things for you - you come across as a good woman -be lucky

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..