Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 29-11-2006, 14:58   #46
God Member

Re: Isn't it really frustrating when.........

[quote=garinda;342701If your 'owt for nowt' comment re: the NHS, does it also apply to the education system?[/quote]

Could you please translate this into understandable English.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 29-11-2006, 15:09   #47
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by accymel View Post
Hope willow is ok & not suffering any further delays as i found this morning [i was right tinks hehehehehe] Well Patient services did contact me as promised 1st thing this morning but when it came to sorting out the appointment for Royal blackburn - well their bt systems went down presumably in the technical pc/net department, so still waiting to hear from them as to when its been sorted out [hope they haven't forgot]

Ah well such is life things on hold & cancelled while i wait lol
well least i dont have to have a go at the NHS for a change my gripe is with Bt seemingly the technical difficulties are still apparent so anyone ringing nhs patient services/referals its a long wait

Looks like i cancelled my day for nowt again
accymel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2006, 15:50   #48
Beacon of light

Hope all goes well for you Willow...thinking about you and sending you good wishes.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2006, 16:05   #49
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf View Post
Could you please translate this into understandable English.
You commented to Willow that, and I quote 'You're getting this treatment for nowt. As the old saying goes, beggars can't be choosers.'

You also say, 'Instead of complaining, when don't you just go private and thus remove yourself from the NHS waiting list? Then the rest of us who are on the waiting list and are prepared to put up with the occaisional inconveniance might not have so long to wait.'

I simply asked if you would apply this same rationale to the education systen as you do to the NHS.

I do hope you can manage to understand the question this time, it isn't rocket science.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2006, 16:07   #50
Give, give, give member

Although I don't pray, my thoughts have been with you and your family today Willow, and I hope all has gone well.

Old 29-11-2006, 16:41   #51
Yank in King Art's Court!

Was gonna P.M. this but thought all would like to know: Busman, how are you holding up? It's as hard if not harder on the spouse when the other is suffering eh?

Brian

LancYorkYankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2006, 21:03   #52

Hope you've had your op by now Willow, and that all has gone well. Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Take Care

Sara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2006, 21:05   #53
Always EVIL within us

Quote:
Originally Posted by LancYorkYankee View Post
Was gonna P.M. this but thought all would like to know: Busman, how are you holding up? It's as hard if not harder on the spouse when the other is suffering eh?

Brian
Thank you Brian for your thoughts, I am elated to tell you all that Willow was let out tonight but is feeling rather groggy at the mo.

They have had a deep grovel inside and it looks all good news regarding what may have been a life-threatening disease. The doctors now put it down to a mysterious inflammation of her womanly bits which are showing signs of retreat (The inflammation, not her womanly bits )

I doubt it will be long before she finds her way back to her PC seat, probably as soon as I turn my back
Old 29-11-2006, 21:05   #54
Senior Member+

I hope all is going well with Willow. My thoughts are with you and your family. Take care. xxxx

On the other note, yes treatment is free at the point of delivery, meaning when the treatment is delivered to you you do not have to pay any money there and then, but you do have to pay in other ways ie NI contributions. I agree that is not why it was set up because when NI contributions came in, in 1918 the NHS didn't exist, but when it was introduced the government had to decide where to take the money from, and NI was the obvious choice.
Lolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2006, 21:49   #55
Senior Member+

Thinking about you willow. Pity i didnt know which ward you are in, im at the xray dept tomorrow having more xrays done on my neck, back and heart. I would have come to visit you.
jimmi5bellies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2006, 00:05   #56
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

hope the recovery goes well, and your soon back to normal.
Old 30-11-2006, 14:45   #57
Resident Waffler

Thank you to all who sent their good wishes.

This has been a bit of a scary time. It hasn't helped with being given different advice opinions and information too, some of which contradicted each other.

It's something dating back 12 years when I had a growth removed but not having recurred after so long really was a mystery but it had to be looked into. It could have been something lurking undetected which had decided to spring back into action.

I'm not one of those who like "bothering" the docs just about twinges and bits of things and even when I started bleeding I was more hoping it would just go away on its own rather than have to do something but my GP wanted to refer me due to the previous problems.

Unfortunately they couldn't get enough tissue from a biopsy but the camera investgation at that time showed inflamation and an unnatural thickening of tissue - this meant they needed to do an op under general anaesthetic to get a proper look at what was going on, but with having asthma I couldn't get far enough on the treadmill test without gettng out of breath so had to wait for an angiogram and reports from the cardiology department to say I was fit for the op.

So last week I had the angiogram and that verified that I do indeed have a heart, and last Friday I went for the pre-op which should have been an hour to an hour and a half but they all went for their dinner and I waited an extra hour before the last person spoke to me for about 5 mins and then sent me home. Busman had been waiting in the car park in his dinner break but had to go back to work and leave me there so I made my own way home. Good job I had some money with me and hadn't taken the hour and a half too seriously as it was closer to 2 and half hours in the end.

So I finally went in at 9am yesterday as instructed and answered yet more sets of the same questions - name, address, age, date of birth, next of kin, height, weight, GP - any allergies etc etc. All already down in my notes numerous times but I don't think anybody reads them. Maybe they don't have time. I had to tell them several times why I'd had the angiogram and even what the wound and bruising on my wrist were all about.

The anaesthetist came to see me and said I should not have been phoned the previous morning and been told not to come in until yesterday! Apparently I was down on the list as first to go down to theatre. Good thing I had personally chosen not to eat since the previous evening as I was supposed to fast from 7am if I'd been last on the list like the person on the phone told me I was.

He then added to my confusion by saying that due to my asthma they did not want to do a general anaesthetic but a spinal instead. He said it was in my notes that in 1990 when I'd had a laperoscopy there had been difficulties coming round from the anaesthetic. That was back in 1990 but I hadn't even been diagnosed with asthma by then! I had no inhalers. In 1991 when my first daughter was born they'd tried to give me an epidural but found it impossible to get the needle between my vertibrae. In the end they'd had to give up but it left my back bleeding so badly that I stuck to my nightgown. I ponted that out to him and said I didn't relish the prospect of going through something like that again. I also pointed out that I'd had 2 operations since 1990 both under general anaesthetic. However, he insisted that with my asthma the spinal was the best option, and left me feeling very apprehensive of the coming ordeal which worried me more than the op itself.

A couple of hours later he came back to tell me that a senior anaesthetist had said that a spinal wasn't apprpropriate for my op as it would leave my legs wobbly for a good 12 hours afterwards and they would prefer me to be able to move about to prevent DVT so I would be having a general anaesthetic as originally planned for and of course that was why I'd had to wait until after the angiogram to ensure my heart was OK for the general. In other words all the worry about a spinal need never have been brought up because they'd already decided I needed a general which was why I'd had to have the angiogram first.

By the time the surgeon came to ak me if I had any questions I had no confidence at all in believing that any answer I received would be valid for longer than five minutes. There had been so much contradictory information already that all I wanted by then was for them to get on with doing whatever they wanted to do and get me back home as soon as possible.

There was one nurse on the ward who was very kind and caring and I have nothing but praise for her but I do think that there is so much contradictory nformation going backwards and forwards that a lot of the time the people involved don't know if they are coming or gong and the right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing. Perhpas if they didn't hve so many nurmerous copies of the same collection of information then it would be possible to find the really relevant things in there.

Anyway once I'd got the thing stuck in the back of my hand I don't remember anything else until coming round and being told that all the inflamed tissue which had perviosly been seen by camera was no longer there and may well have been why they couldn't get much of a sample for the biopsy. It had probably all come away then and in the subsequent bleeding. They still don't know the cause of it but unless something else occurs then that's the end of it for now. So by 7pm when I could toddle around the bed to the seat they decided I could come home.

I do appreciate all the prayers from friends and the blessing I got at church on Sunday and the Bishop fasting on my behalf this week and my name being on two temple prayer rolls not to mention all the good wishes form the kinder more caring AccyWebbers. Gosh what a lot of fuss for little old me.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2006, 17:28   #58
Give, give, give member

Blimey, back with a vengance.

One of the longest posts ever.

Glad things went to plan, and you are feeling A1 soon. x

Old 30-11-2006, 18:56   #59
Beacon of light

Glad to hear that despite it all, you have made a good recovery. Hope you are back to good health soon Willow. (I'm also wondering if I was involved in your care back in 1990......I was in the thick of it then)
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..