Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2010, 16:33   #46
Give, give, give member

Re: John Prescott elevated to The House of Lords

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
I didn't protest about Britcliffe not making the candidates list my protest was about have a candidates list foisted on use

...because they didn't trust you to select a candidate who hadn't lost twice before.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 01-06-2010, 16:40   #47
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
David Laws.....well he did it to protect his privacy......how does that work then?
You wouldn't automatically think that the landlord of your accommodation was your lover......or would you? And he only 'fessed' up because he was about to be sussed by a daily newspaper.
Personally, I don't care about this man and his bedroom habits......but I do care that he thought he could steal/defraud/embezzle money from the tax payer......Especially as he really didn't need the money, having had a lucrative career that allowed him to retire as a millionaire at the age of 28.
He might be academically clever, but he was pretty dumb to think that he would not get caught out.
As you say, if he was that bright, and really wanted to protect his privacy, he wouldn't have abused the system to the tune of forty grand.

No one would know of his living arrangements.

Let's not forget that it's only thanks to the mole, who passed on the expenses to the Daily Telegraph, that any of these scandals ever came to light.

The majority of M.P.'s fought tooth and nail to keep them secret...for 'security reasons'.

Old 01-06-2010, 17:05   #48
Senior Member+

I think there's a debate to be had around the the word privacy. Was it their privacy that some M.P's were trying to protect, or was it that they were attempting to keep things secret. There's a difference.
Bernard Dawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 17:24   #49
Beacon of light

Yes Bernard, you are right...there is a difference.
It is secrecy when they are defrauding us, the tax payers.
I am not against people having privacy when it comes to their bedroom arrangements.......I couldn't care less what their preferences are.
David Laws knew he had done wrong.......but he casts a smoke screen over the events by saying that he wanted to keep his private life 'private'.
This does nothing for his integrity....the integrity that other politicians say is faultless.
I would ask how these politicians can judge when they have been guilty of the same offence....embezzling funds from the tax payer.
It is OK for us, the hoi polloi, to have to tighten our belts, but they consider themselves above us....and as such, subject to different rules.
They still don't get how hacked off the electorate is with their double dealing......What will it take to get the message through to them?
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 17:25   #50
Give, give, give member

Yes, they wanted their privacy, so we didn't know we were footing the bill for their moats to be cleaned, their duck islands to be custom built, and for their spouses to watch blue movies.

Old 01-06-2010, 17:35   #51
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Yes Bernard, you are right...there is a difference.
It is secrecy when they are defrauding us, the tax payers.
I am not against people having privacy when it comes to their bedroom arrangements.......I couldn't care less what their preferences are.
David Laws knew he had done wrong.......but he casts a smoke screen over the events by saying that he wanted to keep his private life 'private'.
This does nothing for his integrity....the integrity that other politicians say is faultless.
I would ask how these politicians can judge when they have been guilty of the same offence....embezzling funds from the tax payer.
It is OK for us, the hoi polloi, to have to tighten our belts, but they consider themselves above us....and as such, subject to different rules.
They still don't get how hacked off the electorate is with their double dealing......What will it take to get the message through to them?
It also doesn't say much for the integrity his colleagues who were very, very sorry that this 'good' guy forced to leave, such as Clegg, Cameron, Cable, Osborne et al, and whom they hoped to see back in the centre of things very soon.

Old 01-06-2010, 17:47   #52
Beacon of light

Cameron and Clegg are hoping that he won't knee them in the groin by quitting politics altogether and force a by-election.

The fact that these people see David Laws as a 'good' guy is worrying....as I observed, they appear to have learned nothing about the electorates disapproval of their double dealing.

Which bit of 'this is stealing' don't they understand?
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 18:34   #53
Full Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Takes all sorts, I suppose.

Though that's the sort of attitude that's probably responsible for the rivers of blood that pour out of the doors of A & E, at hospitals throughout the country, every weekend.

I've never met her, but I always thought I'd never get on with Winnie Mandela, and therefore wouldn't particularly like her.

Though personally I'd feel ashamed, if my self-worth was so woefully lacking, if I ever said I would 'enjoy punching' her, as you have, of someone you apparently dislike.

The trouble with unprovoked violence is that there's always someone bigger and stronger than yourself, somewhere along the line.

I hope in years to come you aren't sat in a nursing home, and someone there doesn't like the cut of your jib, and decides to punch the living daylights out of you.

Takes all sorts.
Here we go again. Perhaps I should point out that even though I was a successful amateur boxer in my youth and early twenties, my 'punch' statement was merely intended as a jocose figure of speech, though judging by your reaction, you tend to have taken my tongue in cheek comments far too literally. Ease up old man. No need for you to get agitated again!
Stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 21:05   #54
God Member

Any of you lot listen to Radio 4 this afternoon at 4pm? They had audio diary extracts from 5 newbie MP's over the last three weeks. One thing in common and they all complained about - they had nowt to do! Anyone like to comment?

PS...you can probably pick it up on BBCI player.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 21:51   #55
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumped View Post
Here we go again. Perhaps I should point out that even though I was a successful amateur boxer in my youth and early twenties, my 'punch' statement was merely intended as a jocose figure of speech, though judging by your reaction, you tend to have taken my tongue in cheek comments far too literally. Ease up old man. No need for you to get agitated again!
Quote:
Dont forget Mandelson, though. I'd punch him myself if given the opportunity
Quote:
Nontheless I'd enjoy it.
As I stated, it takes all sorts.

We'll just have to put you down as another one of those who posts something, but 'doesn't really mean it'.

That's two losses and a knockout you've now suffered, but jolly well tried.

Old 01-06-2010, 22:16   #56
Full Member+

Quote:
As I stated, it takes all sorts.

We'll just have to put you down as another one of those who posts something, but 'doesn't really mean it'.

That's two losses and a knockout you've now suffered, but jolly well tried.
Reckon I've survived many a hard knock in my time, and no doubt there'll be a few more before I meet my maker! Isn't that what life's all about - not taking things too seriously, meeting challenges head on and learning from the mistakes we make along the way?
Stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 22:21   #57
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Reckon I've survived many a hard knock in my time, and no doubt there'll be a few more before I meet my maker! Isn't that what life's all about - not taking things too seriously, meeting challenges head on and learning from the mistakes we make along the way?
Well i can go with that.
Old 01-06-2010, 22:23   #58
Give, give, give member

Quote:

Old 02-06-2010, 09:01   #59
Resting in Peace

Quote:
...because they didn't trust you to select a candidate who hadn't lost twice before.

Well we'll see what happens after the inquiry, but you can hardly think that Mrs Mrs see I've forgotten her name already, did outstandingly well can you
Old 02-06-2010, 09:04   #60
Resting in Peace

Quote:
It also doesn't say much for the integrity his colleagues who were very, very sorry that this 'good' guy forced to leave, such as Clegg, Cameron, Cable, Osborne et al, and whom they hoped to see back in the centre of things very soon.
A bit lick a certain Lord did on three or four occasions in the 13 years prior

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..