Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 21-09-2010, 20:05   #1
God Member

Knocking Accy

Next time you think Accy has a bad town centre then take a look at this.

BBC News - A tourist's guide to 'Carbuncle Town'

There is always some one in a worse position and yes I have been there it aint that far from me.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 22-09-2010, 17:02   #2
Senior Member+

Re: Knocking Accy

Ah Denny, had the joy of driving through there the other day. It even makes Cumbernauld look decent.
Nickelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2010, 17:14   #3
God Member

Denny Town centre makes Accy Town Centre look good.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2010, 18:29   #4
Senior Member+

I used to go into ICI Grangemouth a lot in the 70/80's and had digs in Falkirk. It was a bit rough even then but not too bad considering what they say about it now.
I found one or two friendly pubs and got on well with the locals even though they knew I was an Englishman, maybe the drinking held us all together but I must admit I returned to the safety of my digs before closing time.
Old 23-09-2010, 06:30   #5
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPUGGIE J View Post
Denny Town centre makes Accy Town Centre look good.
Unless I'm being particularly lenient, I don't think that Accrington town centre is especially bad! Yes, it could do with a few more big name shops and in the Arndale Centre and it always feels like I've been transported back to the 1970s but there are far worse places out there.

I've started going to Accy rather than Blackburn to see if I can find what I need in my own borough and I'm rarely disappointed.

http://hyndburn-labour.blogspot.co.uk/ - Updates from the Hyndburn Labour Group
Ken Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2010, 09:28   #6
Senior Member+

I have spent several years working in Accrington, whilst living outside the borough, so perhaps I can give an informed, but independent view of Accrington Town Centre.

The positive points that give the town centre an identity are -

Free parking
Pedestrianised areas like Broadway
Modern feel of the Arndale Centre
ASDA near enough to centre
"Individual" shops up Blackburn Road and round Church Street/Warner Street.
Indoor Market - very interesting (or at least was)
Fine architecture of Town Hall/Library/Market Hall

The negative points are

Some down market shops in key positions
Outdoor market (horrible! Permanent smell of urine)
Bus station (like something from the 60s)
Jewel should be the arcade off Warner Street, but it is run down.

One big plus, though. It is NOT Blackburn, which must be a contender for the most depressing town centre in England.
gynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2010, 17:01   #7

Compared with some of the places in North Cumbria, Accrington is a perfect place to live, and a hive of activity.
Old 27-09-2010, 17:55   #8
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by accysimon View Post
Compared with some of the places in North Cumbria, Accrington is a perfect place to live, and a hive of activity.
Just wondering where abouts your on about Simon, I actually lived in Carlisle for three months back in the mid seventies when I worked on a new pub for Whitbread, I actually loved the place and the people and actually knocked about in the surrounding area with a few of the locals I became friendly with.
Old 27-09-2010, 20:45   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Just wondering where abouts your on about Simon, I actually lived in Carlisle for three months back in the mid seventies when I worked on a new pub for Whitbread, I actually loved the place and the people and actually knocked about in the surrounding area with a few of the locals I became friendly with.
I lived in Anthorn, on a small peninsula near Bowness-On-Solway, start of Hadrians Wall. 4 miles to nearest pub, shop etc and 9 miles to nearest town.

Anthorn, Cumbria
Old 28-09-2010, 09:14   #10
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by accysimon View Post
I lived in Anthorn, on a small peninsula near Bowness-On-Solway, start of Hadrians Wall. 4 miles to nearest pub, shop etc and 9 miles to nearest town.

Anthorn, Cumbria
That's very interesting, some great picks, back in the seventies when I was there, there were lots of military installations in the area, I stayed in a pub which ran parallel with the A72, called Park House, which backed onto MU 3 I think, not sure about the number, MU being Maintenance Unit, it was virtually a store room for the RAF, many service men visiting the facility stayed in the hotel, and lots of civilian employees, who were drafted in, were housed on a council estate(St John's)
Old 28-09-2010, 09:29   #11
God Member

Carlise is a kak hole.. my mate got a job up there and and took his young family up.. the local council begged him to go there.. he found a decent home up the top end of Carlise and his car had paint thrown over it the first night...the day after it was made plain that this was a greeting from the locals and it would all be sorted if he did not grass.. within 3 weeks his car was burned out.. nice place if you are a backward racist!
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2010, 09:34   #12
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancie View Post
Carlise is a kak hole.. my mate got a job up there and and took his young family up.. the local council begged him to go there.. he found a decent home up the top end of Carlise and his car had paint thrown over it the first night...the day after it was made plain that this was a greeting from the locals and it would all be sorted if he did not grass.. within 3 weeks his car was burned out.. nice place if you are a backward racist!
I'm talking about the 70s Mancie, think lots of places have gone downhill since then
Old 28-09-2010, 10:02   #13
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
I'm talking about the 70s Mancie, think lots of places have gone downhill since then
Oh now.. so all of a sudden the 70's were the good old days?..say no more.
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2010, 10:09   #14
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancie View Post
Oh now.. so all of a sudden the 70's were the good old days?..say no more.
Just depends what you call the good old days Mancie, In the 70s people tended to have more morals than they do today

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..