Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 23-12-2010, 17:08   #1

ladies with kids having to work

does anyone agree with an opinion i have??? ladies with children should not be forced out to work to pay the bills when its the mans job to put bread on the table, if i had any authority in making decisions i would focus on helping married couples with extra goverment income so mums can stay at home with the kids and and do their jobs in the home...
RHFOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 23-12-2010, 17:54   #2
Senior Member+

Re: ladies with kids having to work

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHFOY View Post
does anyone agree with an opinion i have??? ladies with children should not be forced out to work to pay the bills when its the mans job to put bread on the table, if i had any authority in making decisions i would focus on helping married couples with extra goverment income so mums can stay at home with the kids and and do their jobs in the home...
My Mrs Doesnt work, I actually prefair her at home looking after the family side of things.

It can be financially difficult at times, but we dont go without anything really and I thinks its better for the kids.

She gets NO benefits what so ever (Apart from Child Benefit), I do get Tax Credits, although if she was on JSA she would get more than I get on Tax Credits.

So to answer the question, I agree, but they will say thats what Tax Credits are far.
Old 23-12-2010, 18:01   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ***Mr D*** View Post
My Mrs Doesnt work, I actually prefair her at home looking after the family side of things.

It can be financially difficult at times, but we dont go without anything really and I thinks its better for the kids.

She gets NO benefits what so ever (Apart from Child Benefit), I do get Tax Credits, although if she was on JSA she would get more than I get on Tax Credits.

So to answer the question, I agree, but they will say thats what Tax Credits are far.
tax credits to the right areas why not they help, im sure it costs the goverment fortunes in helping with nursery fees, ah another point, think how many off our youngsters become ill at nursery....
Old 23-12-2010, 18:04   #4
Resting in Peace

Whether a woman stays at home or not is her choice, there are some women that would scratch your eyes out if you suggested that in this day and age, some stay at home some don't
Old 23-12-2010, 18:11   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Whether a woman stays at home or not is her choice, there are some women that would scratch your eyes out if you suggested that in this day and age, some stay at home some don't
i hope most dont see it as sexist??? it is an opinion of mine and why over the last 20 years social boundries have collapsed, and it starts in the home...
Old 23-12-2010, 18:24   #6
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHFOY View Post
i hope most dont see it as sexist??? it is an opinion of mine and why over the last 20 years social boundries have collapsed, and it starts in the home...
It goes back further than that and its not just through women now going out to work,
Old 23-12-2010, 20:31   #7
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

social boundaries didn't collapse wi women goin to work IMHO, goes much deeper n that, but to put it bluntly the do-gooders caused it, wi the collapse of respect n discipline.
Old 23-12-2010, 21:03   #8
God Member

I worked as soon as my child could walk.
My mother worked when I started school.
My grandmother worked - she was raising 3 kids with a drunk for a husband.

Imposing a rule that women shouldn't, is an imposition on civil liberties.
The notion that people should conform to some 'acceptable norm' is abhorrent.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2010, 21:29   #9
Beacon of light

Mothers have always gone out to work...well, the 'working class' (if that is not a dirty word/phrase) ones have...the rich ones didn't because the need wasn't there.(but they did do 'charity work'.WRVS/Hospital /Prison visiting etc.)
Who do you think kept the wheels of industry turning during WW2?
These women worked and maintained their families, it didn't contribute to the downfall of society. That happened much later when discipline was thrown out and liberal attitudes meant that children were allowed to do pretty much as they pleased.

Even in an ideal world, there will always be women who do not want to depend on a man for their living.
I worked all of my married life. I would not want to be supported by the tax-payer of this country. I preferred to earn my own living, contribute to the wealth of my family and also the country.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2010, 21:29   #10
Senior Member+

I think its up to the woman and her family to work out if they can afford to stay at home ,also i dont see why it cant be the man at home if the wife/partner has a better paid job. Our situation is the "traditional " one in that i go to work and the mrs stays at home. Her opinion was why have children and then pay somebody else to look after them.
Old 23-12-2010, 21:33   #11
God Member

It would be sex discrimination anyway. Men can't have babies, so there's no way they can opt for the easy life staying at home and bringing up the kids with the odd bit of housework in between Jeremy Kyle shows
Old 23-12-2010, 21:35   #12
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
It would be sex discrimination anyway. Men can't have babies, so there's no way they can opt for the easy life staying at home and bringing up the kids with the odd bit of housework in between Jeremy Kyle shows
Me thinks i hope you asked santa for a wooden spoon cause your old one will soon be worn out
Old 23-12-2010, 21:36   #13
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkinman221 View Post
Me thinks i hope you asked santa for a wooden spoon cause your old one will soon be worn out

I must be due a new one
Old 23-12-2010, 21:38   #14
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkinman221 View Post
I think its up to the woman and her family to work out if they can afford to stay at home ,also i dont see why it cant be the man at home if the wife/partner has a better paid job. Our situation is the "traditional " one in that i go to work and the mrs stays at home. Her opinion was why have children and then pay somebody else to look after them.
That is a very logical answer.
As to the question 'Why have children and then pay someone else to look after them'. Sometimes circumstances change and it means that if you want to eat and keep a roof over your head then you have to find a job.

For years my husband and I worked opposite shifts. He worked permanent nights and I worked days...this meant that there was always one of us to look after our daughter.
When I became a nurse and had to do night duty then we relied on grandma to step in.

I am glad I went out to work.....it was good for us as a family.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2010, 21:53   #15
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
That is a very logical answer.
As to the question 'Why have children and then pay someone else to look after them'. Sometimes circumstances change and it means that if you want to eat and keep a roof over your head then you have to find a job.

For years my husband and I worked opposite shifts. He worked permanent nights and I worked days...this meant that there was always one of us to look after our daughter.
When I became a nurse and had to do night duty then we relied on grandma to step in.

I am glad I went out to work.....it was good for us as a family.
To be honest i dont think there is a right or wrong way to approach this situation it depends on circumstance as you have said, we manage on my wage and we dont go short but we are in a good situation as far as a small mortgage etc. I know some folk are not that lucky and both parents have to work, its all for the family at the end of the shift so i also agree with what you say MP.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..