Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-10-2012, 19:02   #1

Liquid nitrogen cocktails

Could not believe the news earlier about the poor girl who went out with friends on her 18th birthday for a few drinks.What should have been a good night out, has ended up in her losing her stomach.Why cant pubs and bars just stick to serving pints and spirits like they always have, instead of meddling with chemistry they have no knowledge of, and leave that to the scientists.That poor girls life has been changed forever and for what, the pub trying some gimmick which is aimed at young people to boost their profits.
Rob249 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 08-10-2012, 19:20   #2

Re: Liquid nitrogen cocktails

I had to do a double take at the TV a when i heard that. I dont understand how they have got away with selling liquid nitrogen.

Although if i saw it on the menu id got nowhere near it. At music festivals they have o2 bars were you go to 'get revived' or 'give yourself a boost' by breathing in pure oxygen (which is bad for you).

You couldnt open a sandwich shop without tons of paperwork yet people can get away with selling liquid nitrogen to drink.
Old 08-10-2012, 19:28   #3
JFT96

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommiasfc View Post
At music festivals they have o2 bars were you go to 'get revived' or 'give yourself a boost' by breathing in pure oxygen (which is bad for you).
We also have pure O2 on the flight deck, in the masks. It certainly helps with a blocked nose

Steve Hogarth, lead singer Marillion
Boeing Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 19:43   #4
God Member

Inhaling Pure Oxygen Can Damage Brain

If Jaysay was on line he could advise us whether his NHS oxygen has carbon dioxide added
MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 19:44   #5
Resting In Peace

It's the fact that liquid nitrogen is so cold that makes it dangerous. It causes extreme burns or if it gets to the stomach it warms and expands and can lead to a burst stomach.

I can't understand how anyone could hold a glass containing liquid nitrogen, would have thought it would be too cold. When I worked in a lab someone filled my wellies with liquid nitrogen. They went rock hard and the rubber cracked and disintegrated. Oh, I wasn't wearing them at the time!
Old 08-10-2012, 19:49   #6
Senior Member+

Now you tell me Margaret,
When I was an engineer and getting a bit weary I would often go to the oxy bottle attached to the welding gear, open the tap and have a good sniff of the stuff as it came out of the nozzle.

Maybe that's why I am in a state of bewilderment most of the time.
Old 08-10-2012, 19:59   #7
Senior Member+

Ever got ice cubes out of a freezer and one's frozen onto your fingers? That's probably -20/-30 degrees Centigrade.
Liquid nitrogen- that's-196 C( -321 F). How she ever got that drink passed her lips and teeth without them freezing solid I can't imagine. What it did to her gullet and stomach- heaven knows.
And how this stuff can be allowed in open jugs in a pub/bar- the mind boggles.Imagine if some joker thought it would be fun to throw the contents into your face!You'd lose your face, eyes etc. Just knocking the jug over could be a disaster.
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 20:02   #8
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Booth View Post
Ever got ice cubes out of a freezer and one's frozen onto your fingers? That's probably -20/-30 degrees Centigrade.
Liquid nitrogen- that's-196 C( -321 F). How she ever got that drink passed her lips and teeth without them freezing solid I can't imagine. What it did to her gullet and stomach- heaven knows.
And how this stuff can be allowed in open jugs in a pub/bar- the mind boggles.Imagine if some joker thought it would be fun to throw the contents into your face!You'd lose your face, eyes etc. Just knocking the jug over could be a disaster.
Don't think you could keep it in a jug for long without it evaporating. You'd have to keep it in a Dewar vessel (that's tech speak for a thermos flask).
Old 08-10-2012, 20:13   #9

Quote:
Exactly which is why this sort of thing should never be allowed in pubs and bars, whoever made it legal needs to have a serious look at themselves tonight.
Rob249 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 20:16   #10
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
Don't think you could keep it in a jug for long without it evaporating. You'd have to keep it in a Dewar vessel (that's tech speak for a thermos flask).
True, susie but the barman is pouring that stuff out into shallow cocktail glasses in a pub full of drinkers- I'd rather pour petrol.
Do you think the barman bothers putting the top back on the flask between drinks? It won't evaporate too fast in a flask, even with the top off.

Last edited by Gordon Booth; 08-10-2012 at 20:19.
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 20:29   #11
I am Banned

At music festivals they have o2 bars were you go to 'get revived' or 'give yourself a boost' by breathing in pure oxygen (which is bad for you).

Where did you get that bit from oxygen is bad for you. When I first joined the Fire Brigade the breathing apparatus sets carried cylinders of pure oxygen designed to last one hour on a closed circuit system. The mines rescue teams used the same sets as we did but with 2 hour capacity cylinders.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 20:51   #12
Resting In Peace

Quote:
True, susie but the barman is pouring that stuff out into shallow cocktail glasses in a pub full of drinkers- I'd rather pour petrol.
Do you think the barman bothers putting the top back on the flask between drinks? It won't evaporate too fast in a flask, even with the top off.
No Gordon, I agree with all that. We never used to have a top on the Dewar flasks in the lab.

What I was really pointing out was that you couldn't just have it in a jug which to me implies an ordinary glass vessel.
Old 08-10-2012, 20:54   #13
Senior Member+

This is pure stupidity - they only use it to make the drink look like it's smoking - it does nothing for the taste!
kestrelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 21:16   #14
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

I could not believe it when i heard on news tonight. Yeh can easily see the attraction to a kid thats had a few, if they sell it- it must be ok mentality. This should be made illegal fer bars to flog it immediately, There was some Professor on saying it shouldn't be banned but regulated, Never heard anything as stupid from someone who should know better. Think hes a member of "Dickheads Are Us"
Old 08-10-2012, 22:27   #15
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
I could not believe it when i heard on news tonight. Yeh can easily see the attraction to a kid thats had a few, if they sell it- it must be ok mentality. This should be made illegal fer bars to flog it immediately, There was some Professor on saying it shouldn't be banned but regulated, Never heard anything as stupid from someone who should know better. Think hes a member of "Dickheads Are Us"
It was just on the ITV news that your meant to let the nitrogen evaporate fully before you drink it as it doesn't go in the drink just on the surface - this girl apparently drank it too soon. But it's still dangerous and should be banned.
kestrelx is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..