Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-07-2005, 18:55   #31
Apprentice Geriatric

Question

I will probably get slated from here to eternity for this but it has to be said.

Members of the general public dug deep into their pockets to attend the Live 8 concerts and thus contributed CASH to the Africa Fund.

Can I ask just exactly how much CASH did Geldof and the other performers contribute? Oh! They GAVE their valuable time did they? Bah! Humbug! Fits in nicely here!

It wouldn’t surprise me to learn that the performers’ accommodation was either given free by the hoteliers or paid for by the concert organisers.

I will even go further and offer 10% of my total wealth including the value of any property that I have if Geldof and Co will donate just 1% of theirs.

Finally I would just like to add that if anyone deserved a knighthood it is the people who support the fund raising schemes with cash from their pockets not the organiser. If the people of Malta can be awarded the George Cross for the sacrifices during the war then surely the general public should get a similar collective award.
Old 04-07-2005, 19:03   #32
Give, give, give member

Re: Live 8

As l posted earlier there is terrible corruption in Africa, but because much of the wealth as already been plundered, G8 leaders don't seem to care as much in sorting out those dictarships as they do in the oil rich Middle East.

As for the days when these countries were once 'prosperous' to quote Tealeaf, l suppose you mean when these countries were part of various Empires, l don't recall the indigenous people eating much better than they do now.

Contentration camps? Oh yeah, the first time they were introduced to the world stage wasn't by those naughty Nazis, it was the British in South Africa.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 20:20   #33

Yea ok there might be debt in africa but what about children in the uk i dont see no concerts goin for us to put more money into education and things like that we are the youth of the nation and there never goin to be out of debt its just going to keep rising and rising

mel3ft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 21:43   #34
Resident Waffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda
As for the days when these countries were once 'prosperous' to quote Tealeaf, l suppose you mean when these countries were part of various Empires, l don't recall the indigenous people eating much better than they do now.

I think you'll find that they did.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 21:48   #35
Resident Waffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambutty
Members of the general public dug deep into their pockets to attend the Live 8 concerts and thus contributed CASH to the Africa Fund.
The tickets didn't actually cost anything, apart from the cost of a phone call in some cases. I entered a prize draw on AOL and that cost me absolutely nothng at all.

Of course for those who travelled a long distance to the venue then it cost them something but none of that money went to Africa. This concert wasn't about raising money for Africa. The point seems to have been misunderstood by a lot of people and in fact Sir Bob himself almost lost the plot at one point when he accused those selling tickets on eBay of taking money fom the mouths of the starving. There was no way any sale of tickets on eBay affected Africa one way or the other. Unless you count the fact that the whole kerfuffle probably drew even more attention to the Live 8 concerts in which case it probably aided Sir Bob's cause.

I'd be more impressed if the government decided not to send back Zimbabwean refugees.

Old 04-07-2005, 22:19   #36

GIVE A MAN A FISH & FEED HIM FOR A DAY.

TEACH A MAN HOW TO FISH & FEED HIM FOR LIFE.

GIVE A CORRUPT POLITICIAN BAGS OF MONEY & HE WILL ROB YOU & HIS FELLOW COUNTRYMEN BLIND, TAKE THEIR FISH & KILL THEM WITH THEIR OWN TOOLS.

SOUND FAMILIAR?
Old 05-07-2005, 12:03   #37
Apprentice Geriatric

Exclamation Re: Live 8

I wasn’t aware that entry to the concerts was free WillowTheWisp so thanks for the correction.

So what was the purpose of these shindigs? To raise public awareness of the African plight perhaps? Or was it, as many people seems to think, to raise awareness of the various performers and to boost their pseudo caring image? I, for one, am acutely aware of the Africans’ plight and I am already aware of a foul mouthed, scruffy lout.

If Geldof and the rest were so concerned for the fate of Africans then they should use some of their substantial wealth to make a difference. I don’t mean chucking money into Africa, that would just be siphoned off to fill the already overfull coffers of the personal accounts of the various government members but arrange and pay for a hospital to be built and staffed for the next five years or a school or two. Buy and take a few tractors to the farmers. Use their influence to break down the trade barriers and give the African farmer a fair deal in the world markets.
Old 05-07-2005, 12:14   #38
God Member

http://www.306gti6.com/forum/showthr...d=31301&page=1

That link has an interesting rant about live8.. one part is as follows:

"Perhaps the multi-millionaire Mr Geldof might want to have a quick word with the multi-millionaire Sir Elton John, the multi-millionaire Sir Paul McCartney, the multi-millionaire Sir Mr Sting and the multi-millionaire Sir Mr Bono and see what they might achieve simply by putting their own fecking hands in their own fecking pockets."

The money needs to go direct to the people and not through the governments of these countrys. Even if they don't have oil, if we help them get up off their knees, it helps us in the long run when they can trade..
andrewb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2005, 13:58   #39
God Member

My name has been added!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! goood site, thanks for putting it on.

Miracles do happen!!

slinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2005, 16:01   #40
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp
I think you'll find that they did.

Where will l find they did?

Read Wilfred Theisger's book about his travels in sub-Saharan Afica in the 20's. Starvation, drought and famine was still present then as it is today. Of course there was no corruption then as it was part of British and other nation's Empires.

Also Ghandi writing about South African poverty in the early part of the twentieth century makes interesting reading.

Old 05-07-2005, 16:09   #41
Give, give, give member

Without quoting the all of Jambutty's post, it's a bit unfair of him and others to suggest what wealthy people do with their money. We don't know.

Just as poorer people may decide to support various causes quietly, so might the rich.

Some of the wealtiest people in the country are footballers, the same critisism could be levelled at them. Then again it might interfere with their testimonials.

Old 05-07-2005, 16:20   #42
God Member

Quote:
Also Ghandi writing about South African poverty in the early part of the twentieth century makes interesting reading.
Ghandi was an obnoxious lying little sh*t of whom you cannot believe a word. The world would have been a far better place had he choked on his own loincloth 30 years before someone eventually sorted him out.

Last edited by Tealeaf; 05-07-2005 at 16:22.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2005, 16:41   #43
Give, give, give member

Tealeaf, l didn't mean the Ghandi that also visited the poorly paid and malnourished Lancashire weavers.

I was talking about the travelling acrobat Ernie Ghandi and the Ghandinettes, sorry for not being more specific.

Old 05-07-2005, 17:44   #44
God Member

I'll say it one more time - it was not about money it was about awareness.

Yes, the stars that were there got given goody bags - this was by corporate sponsors who wanted to get in on the act and yes, I think it was a bit tacky so I won't defend them on that. And yes, the phone companies might have made a few bob from the texts (let's hope they donate it to a good cause).

But, the thing is that the sheer fact that we are discussing this means that it worked. There can be very few people in the country now who do not know about the G8 summit and who do not know about the Africans plight. From this website and others around the general concensus seems to be that aid won't work and that trade will - I'm pretty sure that the people around the table tomorrow will have read as many articles & website posts as possible and they too will see that that is what is needed.
Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2005, 18:26   #45
Resident Waffler

Quote:
Where will l find they did?
When Zimbabwe was Rhodesia.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..