Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 30-01-2009, 12:44   #76
Resting in Peace

Re: Living off the fat of the land.

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Blimey, you have access to much more detailed information about Cllr. Britcliffe's comings and goings than the journalists at the Observer.

Was the 30p a tip?

I hope it's not too much of a burden having friends in such high places, and being used as a mouthpiece.

We'll have to start calling you Emu, Nookie Bear, or would you prefer Lord Charles?

Did the £12.30 include a nice 'gottle of gear' for Cllr. Britcliffe?

No he paid for his own wine Well as you have pointed out on more than one occasion that I am a friend of the Leader of the Council, it was only when I was talking to Peter this morning on another issue ( the Rovers) that I mentioned the expenses issue, it was then I got chapter and verse on the subject, its just a pity that the Observer couldn't be bother about printing the whole details instead of printing half a story, but then it wouldn't have stirred the pot for people like your good self would it Rindi
Old 30-01-2009, 13:00   #77
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
No he paid for his own wine Well as you have pointed out on more than one occasion that I am a friend of the Leader of the Council, it was only when I was talking to Peter this morning on another issue ( the Rovers) that I mentioned the expenses issue, it was then I got chapter and verse on the subject, its just a pity that the Observer couldn't be bother about printing the whole details instead of printing half a story, but then it wouldn't have stirred the pot for people like your good self would it Rindi
Perhaps he'd have been wiser to have told the press present at the meeting how much he actually spent in London (much less than the voted for increase), than yourself?

Let's also not forget that it's less than two years ago that Cllr. Britcliffe caused more public outrage, when he voted to award himself what was basically a 20% increases in expenses for himself.

Expenses rise sparks fury in council chamber - News - Accrington Observer

As stated earlier, perhaps Cllr. Britcliffe might better use his money on some good P.R.

It might then appear to those stuggling because of the credit crunch,that he's less like Marie 'let them eat cake' Antoinette, and wouldn't have petulant quotes appearing in the press, about people should write guide books if they know of anywhere in London where you can eat for a tenner, when you quite clearly can.

As well as making clear that the ivory tower of Scaitcliffe House isn't immune from the economic worries that the rest of the country is facing, he'd also look a little more like he was in tune with the feelings of the residents of Hyndburn, and not so woefully out of touch with reality.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2009, 15:56   #78
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Perhaps he'd have been wiser to have told the press present at the meeting how much he actually spent in London (much less than the voted for increase), than yourself?

Let's also not forget that it's less than two years ago that Cllr. Britcliffe caused more public outrage, when he voted to award himself what was basically a 20% increases in expenses for himself.

Expenses rise sparks fury in council chamber - News - Accrington Observer

As stated earlier, perhaps Cllr. Britcliffe might better use his money on some good P.R.

It might then appear to those stuggling because of the credit crunch,that he's less like Marie 'let them eat cake' Antoinette, and wouldn't have petulant quotes appearing in the press, about people should write guide books if they know of anywhere in London where you can eat for a tenner, when you quite clearly can.

As well as making clear that the ivory tower of Scaitcliffe House isn't immune from the economic worries that the rest of the country is facing, he'd also look a little more like he was in tune with the feelings of the residents of Hyndburn, and not so woefully out of touch with reality.
Rindi, your mouthwash ain't making it
Old 30-01-2009, 18:06   #79

Quote:
Maybe, just maybe, if the Observer had published the whole facts about councillors expenses for staying away from home on council business, the big furore could have been avoided. I think, not for the first time the Observer have been guilty of using journalist licence or in other words why let the truth get in the way of a good story. The facts of the issue are as follows.
The allowances claimed by councillors are set by an Independent Revue Body, the allowances for overnight accommodation were set at £110 for accommodation and £10 for meal allowance around 5 or 6 years ago, on revue it was recommended the the maximum allowances be increased to £145 and £25 respectively. These amounts are not what councillors are paid but what is the upper limit that can be claimed. Councillors who stay away on council business have to furnish all receipts for meals and accomadation in order to claim back out of pocket expenses, a fact that was not mentioned in the Observer article last Friday. Over the last 12 months Councillor Britcliffe has stayed away on council business just one night, that was when he visited Downing Street representing Hyndburn. On this occasion his accommodation was pre-booked on line prior to going, the cost of which was £79 for overnight accommodation Bed and Breakfast in central London and he claimed £12-30p for an evening meal. I hardly think that by any stretch of the imagination can be classed as Living of the fat of the land
Was Councillor Britcliffe's attendance at the Local Government Association conference in Bournemouth in July 2008 not classed as a stay away on Hyndburn Council business?
claytonender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2009, 18:17   #80
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Rindi, your mouthwash ain't making it
I've nothing personal against the man.

I've said on here before the children he taught at my primary school loved him. I know people he's gone out of his way to help, above and beyond the call of duty, in his job as a councillor. A lot of people I know, who also know him, think he's a sound bloke. Hell even my own grandmother thought he was a 'lovely lad'.

However that won't stop me finding fault, or praise, as I have on this forum, when there's something that needs highlighting.

For instance wanting to change the name of the borough, at whatever expense. Introducing town councils, when no one, including the council, knew what exactly they'd be responsible for, or how much more they'd add to Council Tax bills, nevermind the debacle of the costly questionaires that half the residents never got. Then there are these increases in expenses, way above the rate of inflation, and the devil may care attitude and quotes he gives to the press.

Nothing against the man, as stated earlier, though I suppose I'm a little afraid the Conservatives might still put him forward as a candidate at the next General Election, even though he's stood twice before, and been rejected as the honourable Member of Parliament for Accrington and....oops, Hyndburn.

Old 30-01-2009, 18:21   #81
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by claytonender View Post
Was Councillor Britcliffe's attendance at the Local Government Association conference in Bournemouth in July 2008 not classed as a stay away on Hyndburn Council business?
Oh but Bounemouth in July can be quite lovely.

The Royal Bath is a fabulous hotel.

I wonder if he saw it from his sleeping bag on the beach?

Old 30-01-2009, 18:25   #82
Resting in Peace

Noticed you opposed these increases Claytonender .. just wait until you have to stay away to a Conference on Council business. Being a woman is worse, as we have to look decent, and let's see how much you will have to spend on extras like decent clothes, which you will not get to recompense for.

S'okay for fellas .. they can wear the same evening/day suit every year without note.. but for us ladies ' tis a no, no to wear the same cocktail dress year after year.

Sure you would not wish to represent Hyndburn looking like a bag lady.

Must be a nightmare for a lady Mayor ... how much will she have to spend on her appearance.

There again, do they get a clothing allowance ?
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2009, 18:32   #83
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Noticed you opposed these increases Claytonender .. just wait until you have to stay away to a Conference on Council business. Being a woman is worse, as we have to look decent, and let's see how much you will have to spend on extras like decent clothes, which you will not get to recompense for.

S'okay for fellas .. they can wear the same evening/day suit every year without note.. but for us ladies ' tis a no, no to wear the same cocktail dress year after year.

Sure you would not wish to represent Hyndburn looking like a bag lady.

Must be a nightmare for a lady Mayor ... how much will she have to spend on her appearance.

There again, do they get a clothing allowance ?
I don't think the women, of all social classes, cared what they wore when they threw themselves under the King's horse at the Derby, or were being force fed in Holloway, in order for women to be allowed to vote, or enter that nasty world that is politics.

Old 30-01-2009, 18:33   #84
Resting in Peace

Quote:
I don't think the women, of all social classes, cared what they wore when they threw themselves under the King's horse at the Derby, or were being force fed in Holloway, in order for women to be allowed to vote, or enter that nasty world that is politics.
Garinda .. we are in 2009 now !! Get real.
Old 30-01-2009, 18:44   #85
God Member

Bessie Braddock never looked 'stylish' but was admired and respected
Barbara Castle did have style, and some criticise her for it

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2009, 18:46   #86
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Garinda .. we are in 2009 now !! Get real.
I am, just like all my female friends who see themselves as being at least equal, if not beter than men, and don't see the need for any special privileges and allowances just because of their gender, either in business, politics, or the 'real' world in general.

Old 30-01-2009, 18:47   #87
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
Bessie Braddock never looked 'stylish' but was admired and respected
Exactly.

Old 30-01-2009, 19:30   #88
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
Barbara Castle did have style, and some criticise her for it
Exactly Margaret ... the Press always have a go at us women trying to come up to standard in dress, apart from Boris ... nobody bothers about the men !!

Equality not quite here yet.

Problem is, it is other women/press that knock badly dressed contemporaries. Image is a big factor unfortunately. Yes, Bessie Braddock was much loved, however, bet even she spent lots of money on her clothes, even though she always looked like 'a sack tied in the middle'.

Garinda: You have obviously have never been in the 'real world' of business, whereby women still struggle for a position here. Would have thought you would have had a little more empathy for this, having designed clothing for the high profile celebrities. First impressions always count.
Old 30-01-2009, 19:33   #89

Quote:
Yes I did vote against the increase, as I felt that in the current economic climate Hyndburn council should be setting an example. I did agree with removing the cap on carer's allowance, as I don't think the cost of having to pay for the care of dependants should be a bar to anyone standing for election.
In a previous job I used to deal with the processing of employee's expense claims. I found these fell into 2 categories. One where the person had just spent frugally as they would have done, if they had been spending their own money and the other where they bought the most expensive items they could because it wasn't their own money.
Also as I travel to London quite often (in a private capacity) I do know how cheaply you can eat out. As for spending extra on clothes, if you shop prudently you can find lots of bargains, my favourite place for buying clothes is Boundary Mill.
claytonender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2009, 20:20   #90
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by claytonender View Post
Also as I travel to London quite often (in a private capacity) I do know how cheaply you can eat out. As for spending extra on clothes, if you shop prudently you can find lots of bargains, my favourite place for buying clothes is Boundary Mill.
I think that is the most patronising statement I have ever read on Accyweb.........A lot of the young lasses on here cant afford the bus fare to boundary mills never mind buying there.

Blackburn Rovers Supporter Since 1950
Royboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..