Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2009, 17:16   #196
Give, give, give member

Re: Living off the fat of the land.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewb View Post
Expenses and allowances should be independently set. Period.
So of course you'll agree that the councillors who chose to ignore the findings of the independent review body, and award themselves a higher allowance for meals for instance, were wrong.

Good.

It's nice we agree.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 01-02-2009, 17:21   #197
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Expenses and allowances should be independently set. Period.
There was no mention that the 20% increase awarded to the leader of the council in 2007 was recommended by an independent body.

I'm sure it would have been used as a defence at the time if it was, since it caused such an outrage.

Old 01-02-2009, 17:23   #198
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
So of course you'll agree that the councillors who chose to ignore the findings of the independent review body, and award themselves a higher allowance for meals for instance, were wrong.

Good.

It's nice we agree.
Anybody who uses these expenses, not just votes for them, is in the wrong.
Old 01-02-2009, 17:29   #199
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by shillelagh View Post

They've agreed with nearly all of the recommendations that the review body brought up ... except for the meal allowance - the review body says £15 in lancashire and £20 elsewhere - but the council have put it up to £25 no matter where they are.
Is in the documents I put up Shill .. did notice the anomaly of the meal.
They have to have been away for more than 4 hours, and cannot claim it if eating before 7 p.m.

Hotel restaurant meals do not vary much no matter which part of the country. Particularly hotel chains.

True Burnley's allowances are much smaller than HBC and they voted to freeze the recommendations from their Remuneration Panel (sorrry, was a link through LET, but site down at mo).

Each council has its own budgets, and separate decisions as to its workings, and would you have it any other way ?
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 17:31   #200
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Anybody who uses these expenses, not just votes for them, is in the wrong.

So you are publicly condemning those who acted in defiance of the recommendations of the independent review body, and decided to award themselves more, much more.

Good.

We agree.

Old 01-02-2009, 17:35   #201
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post

Each council has its own budgets, and separate decisions as to its workings, and would you have it any other way ?
Yes.

There is no Earthly reason why the limit of the allowances isn't the same nationwide, and I'd be interested to see evidence that shows otherwise.

Old 01-02-2009, 17:40   #202
Give, give, give member

M.P.'s have the same limit on the allowances they can claim, be they from Hyndburn, Burnley, or the Ribble Valley.

I don't see why councillors should see themselves as a different case.

Old 01-02-2009, 17:41   #203
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Yes.

There is no Earthly reason why the limit of the allowances isn't the same nationwide, and I'd be interested to see evidence that shows otherwise.
Understand your reasoning Garinda, but which body would set them ? And who would pay towards these committees ? Would be the start of being guided by Parliament I would think ... which would not be suitable; the beginning of the end of democratic local government.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 17:48   #204
God Member

Quote:
So you are publicly condemning those who acted in defiance of the recommendations of the independent review body, and decided to award themselves more, much more.

Good.

We agree.
You must not forget that I am condemning anybody who USES the expenses. There is no point voting against them if you're going to take advantage of them anyway. I am sure you agree with me on this.
Old 01-02-2009, 19:39   #205
God Member

I'm sorry Andrew but are you saying that Councillors should be out of pocket? Let's not get confused here between Allowances and Expenses.

Expenses are the actual cost of the hotel or meal, you need receipts to claim expenses. If Graham voted against the increase that doesn't mean that he shouldn't be allowed to claim expenses up to the previous limit.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 19:42   #206
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
I'm sorry Andrew but are you saying that Councillors should be out of pocket? Let's not get confused here between Allowances and Expenses.

Expenses are the actual cost of the hotel or meal, you need receipts to claim expenses. If Graham voted against the increase that doesn't mean that he shouldn't be allowed to claim expenses up to the previous limit.
No councillors should not be out of pocket for expenses, however clearly Graham does not believe that the expenses need to be increased, so why should he need to spend above the previous limit? Unless he was just voting for popularism and that the expenses increase was needed...
Old 02-02-2009, 00:10   #207
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Understand your reasoning Garinda, but which body would set them ? And who would pay towards these committees ? Would be the start of being guided by Parliament I would think ... which would not be suitable; the beginning of the end of democratic local government.
If four independent people can assess one council, then those findings should be applicable to all councils. In reality it could be done thre times say, and averaged out, and that is what each council's limit would be for allowances.

It seems like a waste of time and money to do each and every council, because all councillors will experience the same need for allowances.

It seems daft there are people going round assessing each individual council, especially if those recommendations aren't being followed anyway.

Old 02-02-2009, 00:17   #208
Give, give, give member

If the councillors on Hyndburn Borough Council are going to ignore the findings of the independent body, by voting to not accept their proposed limit for meals, which allowed a London weighting, which should have kept Cllr. 'if anyone knows where you can eat for a tenner in London you should write a guide book' Britcliffe, the wisest way they could have ignored the findings of the independent body would have been to vote for their allowance to be increased by the same rate as inflation.

There wouldn't have been a story then.

Old 02-02-2009, 00:36   #209
Give, give, give member

Quote:
How they act, both in standards and to some extent policy, is already guided by parliament, for example their need to reach recycling quotas etc.

The government is to bring in new legislation that would allow councillors to vote on issues without the need to be present in council chambers.

‘Pay councillors to vote from the pub’: Labour ministers push ahead with new rules despite town hall protests | Mail Online

Old 02-02-2009, 08:29   #210
Resting in Peace

Quote:
How they act, both in standards and to some extent policy, is already guided by parliament, for example their need to reach recycling quotas etc.

The government is to bring in new legislation that would allow councillors to vote on issues without the need to be present in council chambers.

‘Pay councillors to vote from the pub’: Labour ministers push ahead with new rules despite town hall protests | Mail Online
Just one comment on that, stupid, end of

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..